The job market for brand new drivers?

Hi All,

I’m about to go through a career change and get my quals for HGV. I’ve read so much on this site that has excited me more and more about taking the plunge and I’ve got a few options for my training and tests.

But what I want to know is how people found it when they were new to the industry? I’ve looked over so many job ads and they all want a minimum 1 year experience. Obviously you can’t get experience without a job, so would it be agency work for a year or so first?

Has anyone been successful in securing a perm position? or even fixed term contract shortly after passing?

I know a couple of people who are drivers who said they could have a word with their employers (1 works for Stobart, the other Downtons). But I imagine they will have the same requirements for new drivers?

Any info would be great. I’m in a pretty secure job now (office) and I want to leave to do something I think I’d love. I’m just a bit unsure of my prospects after passing at the moment.

Thanks, Phil

Phil,
In response to your post: I have recently taken voluntary redundancy after 24 yrs as a Prison officer (with an unblemished record). I have taken & past (first time fortunately) both my Class 2 (C) & Class 1 (C+E). I have completed/passed my ADR in both packages & tanks. I have also completed my Drivers CPC & hold the blue card. Im currently doing agency work out of Newcastle Upon Tyne as in my limited experience most companys wont touch you as you have no experience. It really is a chicken & egg scenario! I mistakingly thought with my background a “reputable” company would employ me, however Im finding that this is not the case. I personally wont work for some raggie arse rovers / Delboy type company as thats not me! I have submitted C Vs left right & centre but no joy at present (still some in the pipeline). You could be a W**ker with experience & it seems the industry will employ you over a newbie with a reputable background. EXPERIENCE is King! Im hoping that the Drivers CPC date of the 10th Sept “may” help me out in my quest to find a reputable employer. I however completely understand that companys have to be wary of newbies with little or no HGV driving experience as you are driving thousands of pounds of kit. Agency work is keeping me ticking over & Im gaining valuable experience of the different types companys & how they work. I often think - I could work here, or, alternatively, I wouldnt want to work for this shower! Its an eye opener in some cases. Even working for an agency its not easy to get Class 1 work as you encounter the same problems. In conclusion thats my experiences of what Im currently finding. It might well be different in other parts of the country? However my chin is firmly up as I continue with my crusade…Onwards…

:laughing: U have a good chance with Stobarts and Downtons just don’t ■■■■ up just remember that as a professional driver u are entitled to a minimum of 11 hours off every 24 hour period. Some companys will try to get you to do 15 hours THIS IS NOT ALLOWED good luck

Thanks for the replies. Mark I’m pretty much expecting the same kind of situation for myself. I’m fine with doing Agency work to start with as long as I can get enough of it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed Stobarts or Downtons will take give me an opportunity, but i still need to get my licence etc so I’ll focus on that first.

Be interesting to know if anyone has walked in to a perm job though.

FLYING ELEPHANT:
:lol: U have a good chance with Stobarts and Downtons just don’t [zb] up just remember that as a professional driver u are entitled to a minimum of 11 hours off every 24 hour period. Some companys will try to get you to do 15 hours THIS IS NOT ALLOWED good luck

hmm one thinks you should know the rules before spouting nonsense on your 1st post :unamused:

Hi.Downtons do give new drivers a chance.Just check there website for vacancies.And apply.Will add though.You will do 15hr days on occasions.

nick2008:

FLYING ELEPHANT:
…just remember that as a professional driver u are entitled to a minimum of 11 hours off every 24 hour period. Some companys will try to get you to do 15 hours THIS IS NOT ALLOWED…

hmm one thinks you should know the rules before spouting nonsense on your 1st post :unamused:

FLYING ELEPHANT is the elephant in the room and he makes a valid point.

We currently have employers lined up asking for drivers. Some are agencies but others are offering full time permanent work. It’s a while since it’s been like this but, in our area, that’s how it is at the moment.

Long may it last!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Since getting my licence in May I did naff all to find a job until late July (Mrs dropped a sprog so had some family time :smiley: )

Did 2 weeks on agency - 1st week crap on a 7.5 tonner, 2nd pretty decent on Cat C.

Applied for around 30 full time rolls, even sent some speculative applications. Within a week I had 4 different companies interview me and as a result I had the choice of between 3 companies to work full time for.

There is work out there, there are companies that are willing to take a punt on new drivers. You just need to put in the leg work to get them interested in you.

Good luck.

There are also some companies that actively prefer new drivers as they don’t come with “baggage”. We have 2 huge employers locally that will take as many as we can send. And, on top of that, there’s employers ringing asking for a new driver from time to time.

Nozza:
Hi.Downtons do give new drivers a chance.Just check there website for vacancies.And apply.Will add though.You will do 15hr days on occasions.

See that doesn’t particularly bother me. I’ve never been someone who shy’s away and if the job takes 15 hours so be it. As long as I’m paid for my time I don’t mind.

I just want the security of a permanent job. rather than hoping every day the agency gives me work every day.

Peter Smythe:
There are also some companies that actively prefer new drivers as they don’t come with “baggage”. We have 2 huge employers locally that will take as many as we can send. And, on top of that, there’s employers ringing asking for a new driver from time to time.

Forgive my ignorance but you keep saying “we”. What context are you referring to? Are you a trainer?

Let me Google that for you…

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peter+smythe

Contraflow:
Let me Google that for you…

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peter+smythe

Ah yes.

A valid point he might of made.But he is wrong to say your not allowed to do 15hour shifts.

can do two 15 hour shifts in a week if I understand the rules correctly

Nozza:
A valid point he might of made.But he is wrong to say your not allowed to do 15hour shifts.

He didn’t say you’re not allowed to do 15 hour shifts.

andygt4:

It’s 3 in a week

Nozza:

andygt4:

It’s 3 in a week

No, you can reduce your daily rest to 9 hours three times a week.

Saying that you can do three 15 hour shifts in a week is misleading and is the kind of misinformed chatter that’ll get newbies into trouble.

Contraflow:

Nozza:

andygt4:

It’s 3 in a week

No, you can reduce your daily rest to 9 hours three times a week.

Saying that you can do three 15 hour shifts in a week is misleading and is the kind of misinformed chatter that’ll get newbies into trouble.

Not true, you can reduce your daily rest three times between weekly rests, not per week