The humble teapot

Saw this Teapot on our side board today and as truck driving always went hand in hand with drinking a good cup of tea I wondered if any of you still make tea in a pot or have gone the way of teabag in a cup method. Always liked tea from a pot which when I did it always got warmed with boiling water then this went into the cups to warm them and then made the brew, always tasted better if you went the extra mile and heated both pot and cups in my opinion.
My favourite brand was Twinings finest Assam but it was a tad more expensive than other brands. If I had tea from a pot the milk went in first then the tea but with a teabag it was the reverse so how do you like it.
We some times venture down the beach at Lee on Solent and there is a little brick building on the shore called the “shack” and she does a nice big china mug of tea for a pound which I think is most reasonable it is always fresh and not stewed like you used to get in some transport cafe’s that I remember from the past, cheers Buzzer.

Nope not now unless it’s a load of us as we use yorkshire one cup bags

Still use teabags , but they are brewed properly in a teapot , pot warmed first and left to stand while it brews . Teabag in a cup tastes flat in comparison . dave

rigsby:
Still use teabags , but they are brewed properly in a teapot , pot warmed first and left to stand while it brews . Teabag in a cup tastes flat in comparison . dave

Milk first or after :question:

After, of course. Otherwise you chuck a good quantity of milk when you remove the bag. Thus-
Pour boiling water onto tea bag & stir.
Let it brew for three minutes.
Remove tea bag, squeezing it into cup.
Add sugar if required & stir to dissolve.
Add milk to taste & stir once more.

But you don’t really expect to get the same result as brewing in a pot, do you?

blue estate:

rigsby:

I’m posh me , always the milk in first when using a teapot . If using a teabag in a cup milk in first anyway so i can see how strong it is . As a side issue one teabag in the pot does a nice brew whereas two cups need two teabags . I’m sure the member for macclesfield will applaud my thrift .

rigsby:

blue estate:

rigsby:

I’m posh me , always the milk in first when using a teapot . If using a teabag in a cup milk in first anyway so i can see how strong it is . As a side issue one teabag in the pot does a nice brew whereas two cups need two teabags . I’m sure the member for macclesfield will applaud my thrift .

I always put the teabag in the pot with loads of water not in the cup.Putting a teabag in a cup of water makes the tea much too concentrated and therefore strong bitter flavoured.I don’t like much milk in the tea either and putting the milk in first seems to help with measuring the amount better.Having said that tea is my least favourite drink with beer water and coffee all being ahead.

rigsby:

blue estate:

rigsby:

I do indeed applaud your thrift, rigsby, although when it comes to a decent cuppa (albeit in a cup, avec tea bag) I am prepared to be a little extravagant. And, having read the post from the member for Leatherhead, I’m convinced that there is something sadly lacking in the South Eastern counties when it comes to the fine art of tea brewing. My far-off and ill-fated marriage to a London bint serves only to confirm my belief- couldn’t make a brew and couldn’t light a fire. Unfortunately I failed to make the necessary enquiries before trotting down the aisle. :blush:

Retired Old ■■■■:
And, having read the post from the member for Leatherhead, I’m convinced that there is something sadly lacking in the South Eastern counties when it comes to the fine art of tea brewing. My far-off and ill-fated marriage to a London bint serves only to confirm my belief- couldn’t make a brew and couldn’t light a fire. Unfortunately I failed to make the necessary enquiries before trotting down the aisle. :blush:

To be fair my old mum who’s born and bred suvvern like me doesn’t like my method of making tea either.She prefers to put the bag in the cup.Which is why I always prefer to make my own tea. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

As for the fire we had Parkray coal fired central heating longer than most well into the 1980’s and we all had no problem lighting that every autumn.( Loads of rolled up newspaper and the old parrafin soaked bits of wood they used to sell at the local hardware store ) shovel plenty of anthracite on top and take the bottom panel off don’t rely on the thermostat to get enough air through ).Bearing in mind that it then never went out until the end of the following Spring. :wink:

Well, didn’t thought this would come up, but it is actually a rather important subject :wink:

I too put the teabag in the mug first, and add the milk afterwards.
Tetley’s would be my weapon of choice and since all me colleagues have asked me whether I still was living in the dark ages (still used a stove and kettle), I’ve now entered the modern world and bought myself a electric boiler, thank you very much :wink:

One thing that raises an eyebrow from time to time though is that they can’t seem to pour a proper cuppa on the continent, it’s only herbal tea nonsense…? And when one asks for some milk to add to the tea, they’re not far from hanging ya… :smiley:
Having that said, they should hang those “krauts”, they really haven’t got the slightest idea about what they’re doing, serving tea with lemon juice…

I do indeed make sure I’ve got a decent “stash” when I’m out and about…

Cheers, Patrick

On another note when I took tea with me in a flask (never quite the same as fresh brew) on my truck journeys I always had a separate little bottle for the milk to add to the tea from the said flask. Then I got a new modern flask where you don’t have to take the lid off to poor the contents, you just press a centre button and it lets some out with out losing all the heat very clever, Buzzer.

I used to take a flask of boiling water with me. The downside was that the brew wasn’t so good after the water in the flask had gone off the boil, however it was usually fairly easy to cadge a refill from a customer’s kettle.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I used to take a flask of boiling water with me. The downside was that the brew wasn’t so good after the water in the flask had gone off the boil, however it was usually fairly easy to cadge a refill from a customer’s kettle.

Me too ROF, But I had a twin burner gas ring which I used when parked up For having a good old Ringtons Tea brew up, Regards Larry.

Parked up for the night, or waiting for a customer to load was a decent excuse to put the little kettle on.

What would the job have been like without frequent brew ups ? Even on day runs i had the flask of boiling water to keep me going , but i always took a brew with me in a thermal mug which stayed hot for 2 hours . I also had a mental directory of all the decent cafes for the obligatory breakfast stop . Every time i got back in the cab after brekkie the phone would ring ," Where you been i’ve been ringing " me " you know i always stop for breakfast at 8-30 , what do you want " . All that is gone now , cafes closed from lack of use and nobody has time to stop . dave

Have to confess Dave that I didn’t use cafes (didn’t have time with Tommy Wibberley in charge of work! :laughing: ) unless I happened to crawl into one close by when broken down of course. Driving Fodens that rarely occoured, apart from punctures. A flask of tea, milk seperate, and usually drunk up by mid morning so spent the remainder of the day ‘dry’ and thirsty. :cry:

Anyway, milk in first for me if just using a mug and one teabag in a pot makes Mrs W and myself four mugs of tea.

Pete.

That’s not tea, windrush, it’s slightly coloured hot water. Good job Mrs W looks after her china- if any of it was cracked that brew would be so weak it would leak out!

One important ingredient hasn’t been mentioned yet. The water…hard water or soft water?

Expanding the topic, which of the old transport cafes brewed the best mug of tea? I always thought that The Copper Kettle on the Atherstone by-pass made a decent brew.

At work I used the ‘bag in the cup’ method but now from the verdant acres of retirement (ha ha) I use an insulated teapot that allows me to get 3 cups of still hot tea.

There is a serious side as well of course in that our very generous state pension requires that you make any economies possible and this system means only boiling the kettle once in 3 cups.

Retirement? Aint life flippin grand.

David

Buzzer,what a good shout.as i am still away like allways i can onlywrite aboutmyself but will expannd when i get home about drivers and tea… however this is true allthough i am at a 4 star hotel.i took with me 3o tea bags 3x10 days and have to had to buymore…10 twinnings english breakfast tea bags 2euro 50 cents.never seen the box before.nice well packed…also lord nelson english ,black tea bags50 made or supplied from …neckarsulm…lidil…2euros… i have not used the local water yet.but will try later only used bottled…old habits once you own water used to run out on a long long trip…well long for us ex uro … men not the middle easters .though how they coped with the water god onlyknows…pdb