The humble teapot

Retired Old ■■■■:
That’s not tea, windrush, it’s slightly coloured hot water. Good job Mrs W looks after her china- if any of it was cracked that brew would be so weak it would leak out!

It isn’t that weak if you squeeze the teabag enough and leave it in for a few minutes ROF, though granted after it has been used a time or two it does lose its colour a little. If we ever have a visitor I do get a fresh one out though, and I do all the catering in our house so no cracks in the mugs either.

Pete.

Are you any relation to rigsby? I do hope you two haven’t been sharing the same tea bag for the last ten years!

Oi , i resemble that remark but i did find some miniature clothes pegs that are ideal for hanging teabags up to dry . I’m like pete though , if we have visitors i will get a new teabag out for them , just the one mind . Got to stretch the pension as far as i can . The sprog’s swanning round australia on holiday and his new car is in our drive , what would be a fair rate to charge for storage ?.

Not related to rigsby Rof, my old dad had a bike but didn’t venture this far North. Regarding only using one teabag, I blame those Yorkshire bags that we use now, if you try to get more than one at a time out of the container the blooming lid snaps shut and almost takes your finger ends off! :open_mouth: Seems that Yorkshire frugality even extends to their humble teabags now, never had this problem with PG Tips although getting the chimp’s furry bits out of your teeth got to be a drag after a while. Gave a whole new meaning to the phrase “Spitting Feather’s”…

Pete.

I’m glad that you lazy ■■■■■ didn’t work for me !! you have done nowt but sit around on your fat arses supping tea, come on you’ve had your ten minutes in the Café so get the ■■■■ out and get that motor on it’s way down the road, I’m off to Paris for the weekend so I want no slouching about while I’m away ! Cheers Anon.

Teapots here.

Warm the pot first, has to be tea bags these days difficult to find loose tea cheaper than gold dust, would prefer if they put leaves in the bags still and not the bloody dust that now passes for what was once tea, no doubt its better in some transport cafes where the literally dip the bloody bag in and hoik it out 5 seconds later.

Milk first always and for one good reason.
If you add tea to milk the milk gets mixed straight in without burning, if you add milk to an almost boiling cup of tea its burned before its mixed.

That’s in an ideal world juddian , us poor pensioners have to make a teabag last and if the milk goes in first it discolours the teabag and makes it difficult to use again . I bough one of those teabag squeezers recently , very effective you don’t get any annoying drips while they hang up to dry .

Where’s me violin when i need it :wink:

According to generation snowflake (who talk ■■■■■■■■ 150% of the time) current pensioners had and still have it all, jobs for life on footballers pay, index linked pensions, take too much from the NHS, live in houses too big for them that should be seized and given to poor refugees etc etc.

So, Rigbsy, if you’re down to squeezing teabags one can only assume you spend all your ill gotten loot on naughty ladies fine wines and food and more naughty ladies, so can i join your club please… :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Tea in old fashioned wooden tea chests was a regular backload from London to Brooke Bond at Trafford Park for many north western hauliers.

windrush:

Retired Old ■■■■:
That’s not tea, windrush, it’s slightly coloured hot water. Good job Mrs W looks after her china- if any of it was cracked that brew would be so weak it would leak out!

It isn’t that weak if you squeeze the teabag enough and leave it in for a few minutes ROF, though granted after it has been used a time or two it does lose its colour a little. If we ever have a visitor I do get a fresh one out though, and I do all the catering in our house so no cracks in the mugs either.

Pete.

I have visions of Donald Pleasance’s blind Flt Lt Colin Blythe in the Great Escape; a brilliant scene in the film.

Good day All
Interesting subject and to throw a bit of a twist I thought you may like to know how us in the colonys brew our cuppas.
The teapot is called a “Billy” not exactly Dresden china is usually a made of tin or alloy. Its not the best heating up on a gas type cooker but is excellent and quick when placed on an open wood fire as in the photo.
The trick when having a brew is wait until the water is boiling and the add a small measured handful of tea leaves let it boil for a minute or so and then take take it off the fire and let it settle then pour into the cup.
Now when I came to these shores it wasn’t long before I was introduced to Billy tea but I developed a taste for Bushnells chicory brew coffee and this was brewed in similar manner to tea i.e. a measured handful in the billy can and let it brew for a moment before sampling.,not every truck driver I worked with appreciated my efforts one referred to it like drinking bitumen obviously a man without taste for the finer things. lol.

Cheers DIG

billycanlarge.jpeg

DIG:
Good day All
Interesting subject and to throw a bit of a twist I thought you may like to know how us in the colonys brew our cuppas.
The teapot is called a “Billy” not exactly Dresden china is usually a made of tin or alloy. Its not the best heating up on a gas type cooker but is excellent and quick when placed on an open wood fire as in the photo.
The trick when having a brew is wait until the water is boiling and the add a small measured handful of tea leaves let it boil for a minute or so and then take take it off the fire and let it settle then pour into the cup.
Now when I came to these shores it wasn’t long before I was introduced to Billy tea but I developed a taste for Bushnells chicory brew coffee and this was brewed in similar manner to tea i.e. a measured handful in the billy can and let it brew for a moment before sampling.,not every truck driver I worked with appreciated my efforts one referred to it like drinking bitumen obviously a man without taste for the finer things. lol.

Cheers DIG

I’d guess that’s similar to the tea bag in the pot method while a tea bag in a cupful of water deffo fits the description of bitumen. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

As for the billy it’s there in the song Waltzing Matilda. :bulb:

DIG:
Good day All

Cheers DIG

Like the post DIG just where are you in the world as you don’t say. I know a few travelling folk who do the same but they have a metal tripod to hang there kettle from, these are proper travellers not the Irish we have here today. Went to school with there kids but they never liked to conform as it was not there way of life. They also cooked there food in a pot over an open fire and just kept adding to it with what ever they could glean from where ever, a rabbit a pigeon and some root veg of course, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

DIG:
Good day All

Cheers DIG

Like the post DIG just where are you in the world as you don’t say. I know a few travelling folk who do the same but they have a metal tripod to hang there kettle from, these are proper travellers not the Irish we have here today. Went to school with there kids but they never liked to conform as it was not there way of life. They also cooked there food in a pot over an open fire and just kept adding to it with what ever they could glean from where ever, a rabbit a pigeon and some root veg of course, cheers Buzzer.

West Aus Buzzer much the same here with the tripod although we never use one, now we are retired we try to travel each year into Isolated areas and we are very self contained a lot of our cooking is done over an open wood fire we use a favourite Australian cooking pot called a Camp Oven in that we cook bread stews sponge cakes bacon and eggs theres not much you can’t cook in one.
Hers a couple of photos taken on our last trip with some friends ,a couple of loaves and the the fire being stirred up a bit by Kaye one of our companions.
Cheers DIG

DIG:

Buzzer:

DIG:
Good day All

Cheers DIG

West Aus Buzzer much the same here with the tripod although we never use one, now we are retired we try to travel each year into Isolated areas and we are very self contained a lot of our cooking is done over an open wood fire we use a favourite Australian cooking pot called a Camp Oven in that we cook bread stews sponge cakes bacon and eggs theres not much you can’t cook in one.
Hers a couple of photos taken on our last trip with some friends ,a couple of loaves and the the fire being stirred up a bit by Kaye one of our companions.
Cheers DIG

The power of the internet so far but just next door, Buzzer.

I think for anyone that was raised in British Road Haulage, The ‘Great British Cuppa’ is one of the most important subjects there is :smiley: . A brew, A cup of char, Rosy Lee, A builders brew, Afternoon tea, High tea, Cream teas, even extending to the term ‘You’re my cup of tea’ :wink: . This takes me back to my 5 year apprenticeship at British Leyland, Transport Dept, Cowley, Oxford, having already done ■■? miles since I was 5 years old with Dad/Older brothers & anyone else I could cadge a day in a Wagon with I was already fully aware of the great importance in this Transport world of tea! At the start of my time at Leyland before I was sent out on the road with anyone I was put with Pete Crump (Shunter) up at the 733 Unipart Warehouse, Garsington Rd, Cowley to learn how to freeze my knackers-off all day in a cold warehouse loading/shunting trailers :open_mouth: Pete had his little table & old chairs & his locker half-way between 2 of the roller shutter doors, & always made sure we had a Tautliner in front for that extra bit of shelter (never a flat, unless it had a sheeted load on), because in the winter the wind used to blow up through there something wicked, it was like Siberia! My main job, as Apprentice/Gofer was tea making duties (yes I know, British Leyland etc etc, but they were 5 of the happiest years of my life working with some Great blokes who taught me stuff, straight & bent that have continued to help me every day through 34 years of Wagon driving so far!) tea was sacred & a very serious subject, so when it was time Pete used to shout at me or throw something at me so I had to scuttle off with the kettle to the tap & put in on, then go round all our drivers that were up there loading/tipping/hiding/sleeping whatever & get their order, Strong/weak/milk in 1st or 2nd/sugar or not/tea bag left in etc, & woe-betide if I got it wrong :unamused: . Then when all done Pete would say ‘Wash the cups up Boy, then take that Trailer down the Park, & bring another 1 up for loading’. Down Dads Depot, Mobil Fuel, it was the same, no-one left the yard without a Brew 1st, when we got there at 04-30 am Dad unless 1 of the others had already done it would put the kettle on, then go out & start the Wagon up, they would then be left to tick-over to get some half-luke-warm kind of heat into the cab, while tea was drunk & stories were told etc! Nowadays sadly with the modern driver what you see is straight from the car to the computer, print off notes, grab keys, out to the Wagon, ■■■■■■■■ in the screen, walk rnd light check etc & zoom out the gate barely speaking to anyone :unamused: :confused: :frowning: . I’m off now to put the kettle on, old habits die-hard :wink: :smiley: Regards Chris

Hi Chris (adr) what about Joe Johnson’s cafe , Garsington Rd., Cowley ran by young Joe and his uncle Aubrey, we used to kid them their tea that bad they brought a flask from home rather than drink it themselves :laughing: :laughing:
DIG’s boiling the billy brought to mind my dad used to say “ye canna beat tinker’s tea” made in a tin can over an open fire, black with sugar out of an enamel mug.
Oily

About a Scotsman, no never :open_mouth:… I’m sure you’ve come across others with similar economy traits.
Oily

oiltreader:
Hi Chris (adr) what about Joe Johnson’s cafe , Garsington Rd., Cowley ran by young Joe and his uncle Aubrey, we used to kid them their tea that bad they brought a flask from home rather than drink it themselves :laughing: :laughing:
DIG’s boiling the billy brought to mind my dad used to say “ye canna beat tinker’s tea” made in a tin can over an open fire, black with sugar out of an enamel mug.
Oily

Hi Eddie, Johnson’s Café, amazing considering the kind of slop they turned out that it kept going for so many years :open_mouth: I would have rather under-sealed my Land Rover with their tea rather than drink it :laughing: :laughing: Regards Chris

I loved the tea at tailors cafe on chepstow road at newport , they brewed in a tiny pot and it came out like tar . Put a little in the cup and topped up with boiling water and it was a really nice cuppa . I last went in there in the late 90s and the same couple had run the place for over 50 years .