The future of trucking

Doomed, doomed!!!

Like the article says, there has to be a driver there to take over when the inevitable happens. And a machine can’t fill out an accident form lol. Can’t see how you can relax if you need to be able to take over at any minute. Just a glorified cruise control

Let them design their toys, give them as much rope as they need etc, when no one is working for a living any more so no one’s actually earning any pay the whole government massive borrowing and high debt economy will finally burst and their utopian ■■■■■■■■■ will come crashing down around them.

What bollox is in that article

‘’'He gives the example of a fully self-driving truck, which unexpectedly hits an object that has fallen onto a highway and loses control.

The truck may at this point have to make a choice: veer to the right onto a walkway, where a mother and her children are walking and would be killed; or to the left where three elderly people are crossing the road.

“If a human was at the wheel, he would have to make this really tough decision in the moment,” explains Mr Bernhart.

“But if a truck is being powered by a computer algorithm, then these decisions would have to be made in advance by the programmers. And who is going to accept such a decision that sacrifices three elderly people instead of a mother and her children?” ‘’’

endquote

Oh yes, we make that decision every day of our lives and get it right too…Jesus wept that chap has been watching too many films.

Lets face it. Technology has the potential to displace a lot of jobs in society.

Truck drivers replaced by automated trucks.
Bus drivers replaced by automated buses.
Train/tram drivers replaced by automated trains & trams.
Taxi drivers replaced by driverless cars.
Cleaners could be replaced by robots.
Receptionists & secretaries could be replaced by robots, automated computer systems & digital assistants.
Waiters in restaurants could be replaced by robots.
Burger flippers and fry dispensers replaced by automated machines.

You could go on with this list for ages. Fact is, if the nerds are allowed to run riot enough we end with next to no semi/un skilled work for humans to do. What do all these people do then? Who’s paying the taxes? Who’s paying for their living expenses? It’ll all go to pot & a definate upcoming headache for future leaders…

In this joke of a country are you serious,such systems will require long term investment and the uk dont do long term investment,also we cant even produce a timely safe railway service in this country and those bloody things run on tracks!

Follow this theme to the mad scientist conclusion and new born babies will be having an OBD socket implanted in their heads. They can then be plugged in to the hospital’s diagnostic code reader later in life when the computer robot needs to operate on them.

cav551:
Follow this theme to the mad scientist conclusion and new born babies will be having an OBD socket implanted in their heads. They can then be plugged in to the hospital’s diagnostic code reader later in life when the computer robot needs to operate on them.

My mrs has said for many years (and she has an uncanny knack of being right in her predictions for she trusts ‘them’ as far as she could throw 'em) that the truth of it will be rather more sinister.

More like you’ll get a chip inserted, enable direct computer access but really for monitoring and thought control and when you are no longer of any use or fail to be a good little drone during your allocated life span they’ll just turn you off, end…obviously this wouldn’t apply to those who are more equal than others.

By their own admission it’s only any good on open motorways, which is one of the reasons they’re testing in Navada and not on the roads of Europe, the other was getting legal clearance.

Of course the software will improve but at what point will the public accept driverless trucks, cars, or what about going on holiday in a pilotless plane? Far more controlled environment to operate in and many of the crashes can be put down to human error or just a human factor. Or what about the rail network being totally driverless? I beleive the docklands light railways is and surely again it would be far easier to do as its a far more controlled environment than the roads.

There are those that want our DNA at birth and would no doubt like to track us all, and they’ll push it bit by bit, by nibbling at our civil liberties “saying its for anti terrorism or crime prevention and the average person has nothing to fear.”
Don’t beleive a word of it, those in power want total control, regardless of any they might say about protecting democracy.

why will we even need trucks in the future ■■?
think Star Trek…
Tesco want 20 pallets of corn flakes from Kellogs ■■
you want your weekly shopping from Morrisons ■■

beam it up Scotty…

just make sure you’re not standing on the transporter pad.

:smiley: I can see it now 30 plus automated driverless trucks in the middle lane of the M1 following the twit on his mobile phone. Christ Britain still has to catch up with Europe on the road and rail systems. I remember when the channel tunnel was built and France, Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg all built extra lanes on the autobahns etc. We added a hotdog stand on the A2 :unamused:

I wouldn’t worry too much. Never get past the length limits :unamused: :smiley:

And look at what they’re concentrating on, artics, us class 2 drivers will be safe as “driverless trucks”. (And who’s gonna connect the airlines/dogclip/all that class 1 ■■■■■■■■?)

rob22888:
Lets face it. Technology has the potential to displace a lot of jobs in society.

Truck drivers replaced by automated trucks.
Bus drivers replaced by automated buses.
Train/tram drivers replaced by automated trains & trams.
Taxi drivers replaced by driverless cars.
Cleaners could be replaced by robots.
Receptionists & secretaries could be replaced by robots, automated computer systems & digital assistants.
Waiters in restaurants could be replaced by robots.
Burger flippers and fry dispensers replaced by automated machines.

You could go on with this list for ages. Fact is, if the nerds are allowed to run riot enough we end with next to no semi/un skilled work for humans to do. What do all these people do then? Who’s paying the taxes? Who’s paying for their living expenses? It’ll all go to pot & a definate upcoming headache for future leaders…

The issue of technology replacing/displacing people realistically requires a total rethink regarding redundancy terms and/or unemployment ‘benefits’.In which the lost earnings of people are taken into account and paid for by the robots by taxing their earnings.Especially if/when it reaches the point where more jobs are being lost to robots than are being created in the economy.

financialsense.com/contribut … t-buy-cars

So does this mean that when I’m 25 years down the road and these come out I can turn around and say to anyone learning to drive them “to much technology! I remember when I had to input the address on my satnav and keep hold of the wheel all the way through my journey”

When I was a kid Raymond Baxter told me that by the time I reached the age I am now well past that we’d all be wearing silver foil suits, drive hover cars and holiday on Mars. With the exception of certain posters who obviously do live on Mars nothing else has much changed.

Not gonna happen.

if someone told me years ago that driving would be all about automatic gear boxes or that we would not need the old charts or that we would have abs braking systems, i would of thought they had read to much sci fi

todays trucks are like driving a big car around these days, and they have even took care of how to find places you need to get to via a sat nav

years ago is was a skilled job and a driver had to be many things to get a load from a to b in a safe manner, so who knows what is coming next ? driver less trucks ? well there almost driver less now. they certainly dont need anyone with any sort of sense to drive them these days that’s for sure.

maybe when they do go driver less there might be a bit of improvement in the industry

What a surprise. Desypete ■■■■■■■■ about the industry,insulting todays drivers and telling us all how wonderful he was “back in the day” for navigating by the stars. Im only shocked you didnt mention the CPC as well :unamused:

I sometimes use the new Edinburgh trams and they have drivers,cant understand the need for one.I believe that Docklands Light Railway doesnt use drivers.They even have a driver on the Cairngorm Funicular Rail thing.

The docklands railway does sometimes use drivers. And there is still that bitchy chavvy lass on board to take over when the computer encounters a problem… like the foors beong jammed open to let more of your mates on at 10pm while ■■■■■■ :smiley:

OVLOV JAY:
Like the article says, there has to be a driver there to take over when the inevitable happens. And a machine can’t fill out an accident form lol. Can’t see how you can relax if you need to be able to take over at any minute. Just a glorified cruise control

You laugh out loud when you fill in an accident report ?

I doubt that very much

The-Snowman:
What a surprise. Desypete ■■■■■■■■ about the industry,insulting todays drivers and telling us all how wonderful he was “back in the day” for navigating by the stars. Im only shocked you didnt mention the CPC as well :unamused:

as there on about driver less trucks i take it the cpc will not be needed by then, surely even you could work that out ?

but then again maybe you couldnt hence your comment i forgot your one of those cpc type of drivers, still it could be worse as you could of been one of those class 2 types who needs a sat nav as well as a cpc
i do hope your at least a class 1 type of cpc driver ?