The First Week

Last week was my first week as a HGV Class 1 driver, driving for a firm based in Leeds doing express pallet work on a 2001 Volvo FM 380 artic 6 x 2 and tri axle curtainside trailer. All week I was out with the regular driver on his regular run to East Yorkshire doing multi pallet multi drops or full load RDC deliveries, plus back hauling again either mixed pallets or full loads. The kit is well maintained and clean and tidy, including the trailers.

I’ve learnt so much in my first week and there is still masses to learn:-
Early starts!
Daily vehicle checks
Filling in tachograph charts
Range change and splitter gearbox
Cruise control and driving at 85kph where appropriate!
Opening and closing the different types of curtainsiders.
Coupling/uncoupling trailers using air suspension.
Making sure you adjust the air suspension when you are loading and unloading
Securing the load using internal straps
Starting off in first gear
Engine brakes
Refuellling
SatNav or is it SadNav
Map reading
Lift axles
Manoevuring in tight spaces.
Reversing
RDC protocols
Parking on pavements when delivering down to narrow streets, making sure you reduce the amount of damage to drain covers, especially BT ones!
Paperwork delivery PODs, collection notes, pallet labels
Climbing on to trailers and tractor gantries

The list is endless so after the first week I spoke to the boss and he wants me to start the first week in January, great news, I am so grateful especially to the regular driver who had a “newbie” in tow, getting in the way and asking loads of “thick” questions.

So will keep you posted to how the next few weeks go, incidentally whilst waiting to start I was offered another job by a major haulier doing tramping work over weekends (not this time as weekends don’t suit me at the moment). However on the agency front, I just had 1 phonecall offering me 1 days work on a Class 2 vehicle and they only rang because I had a digitacho card, so I think I’ve been rather fortunate so far
:smiley:

well done and all the best with the job in the new year
and yes please we would like to hear how it is all
going with the job,

Well done in finding a firm that prepared to show how to do the job properly, and good luck in the new year when you start.

good luck with that parcel work…

who’s it with■■?

howatsi which agency asked about weekend work and what other agency have you tried?
im working for the adecco agency at morley doing only 2 days a week class 2 work at mastercare , don’t how long for.
but i now need to get some class 1work experience in ,that’s my aim for the new year.

thanks

david

sounds like you have found a good company there Howatsi. :sunglasses:
most just give you the keys and expect you to know everything and be
faster than the previous driver :laughing:
good luck with it mate.

dparr59:
howatsi which agency asked about weekend work and what other agency have you tried?
im working for the adecco agency at morley doing only 2 days a week class 2 work at mastercare , don’t how long for.
but i now need to get some class 1work experience in ,that’s my aim for the new year.

thanks

david

It was Driverhire (Huddersfield tel 01484 545588 Paul Whiteside) but it was passed on to them from their Bradford office, also registered with Protemps (Bradford tel 01274 770499 Emma) and Driver Temps (Leeds tel 0113 2629999 Nigel Ellis) I’ve not heard from the last 2, but I’ve not rung them either, as I am currently sorted.

Good luck!