First week new job highs and lows

Started new job there last week in a 7.5t doing multidrop deliveries. First day went well a double manned trip to dublin 30-35 deliveries all went smooth and back home in good time. Thursday was on my own and was a good day and even got back to warehouse early. Friday started out as a good day but then… was on a small road had to ride the line until I met an artic so had to move over pretty tight anyways clipped a large branch with passager side mirror and broke part of the casing and smashed the mirror that points down to kerb. Was really gutted as its my first week and really didn’t want any ■■■■ ups.
As a result of that I felt pretty nervous for the rest of days driving but got on ok. Only other prob I have had is how to know how much space I have behind me for reversing.
During training they had a wee marker sticking out from a rear mud flap was brilliant knew when you had gone back enough.
I know I just need to accept that this happened and it has happened to others but just havent got it out of my head all weekend. Back is a bit tingly too from rushing trying to unload loose boxes

It happens, if they weren’t too worried at work about it, you do same

If need be on narrow roads and something passes- stop and let them go round.

As for how much space, get out and look as many times as you need until you get used to it.

And no point rushing like a loon, you’ll either have an accident or make mistakes. Make progress but don’t rush madly.

They’ll expect you to be a tad slower than others till you get more experience . Enjoy the excuse while it lasts haha

Wiped out the entire mirror assembly on our 7.5t eurocargo a few months back down a narrow lane. Wasn’t 100% my fault as a car came around the corner slighty too far over my side and I didn’t check when I moved over and thee was a telegraph pole right on the verge. Was fun driving back 100 miles with no mirrors on the passenger side!

£300 bill for the boss the next day for a new assembly

I’ve been driving hgv for 10 years, so happens to the best of us! Just learn from it and be a bit more cautious, slow down, stop if necessary. Confidence is great, but too much can get you into trouble.

Thanks your both right need to just take it easy and take my time.
I think your right I’ve been too busy thinking all the other drivers all finish at 16.30 and I’m trying to get myself in for my finish time. It’s getting used to the drops as well as in where the drop point is.
Hopefully this next week will go smooth.

Remember some of the guys will know routes and places without thinking about it, so yes they will get round places quicker. I know 90% of my customers so can almost get there with my eyes closed, but on occasion when I get one I’ve not been too, you do need to slow down and take time to look where you are going, take in the surroundings etc…
As you learn the routes and customers, you’ll naturally get a bit quicker in doing the job.

Same as anything really, the more experience you gain, the more efficient you become.

Yes looking forward to this week hopefully will get back to some places I have been to before and will seem more straight forward. Dublin is a bit of an issue it’s such a busy place and we sailing through loads of small streets I find it hard to keep up with where I am. Plus no postcodes in south for sat nav!
Thanks for advice. It’s funny when you do test in 18t you think only getting out in 7.5 is a tiddly thing but there plenty to learn!

The back pain is due to the muscles not being warmed up prior to lifting, sat down then the back has not warmed up for exercise, I know time is tight, but a few stretches before lifting is ideal, or a quick jog to get the blood pumping.
A back cushion is not a bad idea to support the lower back while driving.
Don’t worry about the mirror, it happens to everybody.

If your driving the same truck every day get one of them stay wide bicycle markers fitted, it’ll just help till your use to it. As said get out if in doubt. Keep going it gets better.

Multi drop is not easy. I’ve been doing it since December (only Saturdays) and the next day I ache all over. Being female I guess I’m not quite as strong. I am slower at getting round than the fellas and one or two of the couriers like to have a moan and all want their stuff delivered first, but when I get there now I just give them a massive smile and get on with it, they don’t moan so much now, but it might not work for you lol. You will get quicker with experience too. I had my C1 from grandfather rights so have had no training. I think the jump from a car to a 7.5t is much harder than from 7.5t to 18t. When there’s a tricky or blindside reverse I get out and look round. I’m usually the last one back but my drops are all an hour and a half away from the depot which I think is one of the furthest away rounds (that’s my excuse anyway :grimacing: ) I’m pretty sure I couldn’t do multidrop full time, I absolutely love the driving but the handballing would finish me off lol :astonished: I have my provisional licence so C and C+E are on the cards, I’m thinking more driving, less drops and less or no handballing (and better money I hope) :stuck_out_tongue: Good luck with it.

I don’t mind multi, must be sad I know.

When I did 7.5t I had upto 15 mostly handball. When I moved to C I have about 6 and a few collections but nearly every one is pallets. Seems up and bigger means less and better !

I’m not a fan of handballing, but, I suppose it goes towards keeping you in shape!