The "Dear Daf"...Problem Thread

Post any or all your Daf problems/idiosyncrasies here and see if they can be solved…
Here’s one that bugs me; Why does my reversing bleeper stop in the rain or after using a wheelwash, and how can I sort it?
A general observation here, regarding the “backseat driver” (tutorial) mode on E6 models; You get marked down for harsh braking, but you need to hit the brakes after loading on a tipper to level the load out. Or at least I have to because my truck has a muck body fitted.
Any other problems to address to “Dear Daf…”

why does my daf have such a crap radio fitted as standard?
my old 06 plate i just swapped in a kenwood head unit and some alpine speakers in the rear ,but my current 2011 model seems to have a 24 volt stereo that ive been advised to stay away from?..
to be honest ,this was the only fault i could find with it !! perfect tool for the job in all respects…yes it would be great to have nearer 500 bhp,and aircon and a splitter but that’s all down to the bloke that specced it from new…

I doubt your reversing bleeper is anything to do with DAF, and everything to do with your trucks body builder.

My nearside front brake has been sticking lately. Any idea what might be wrong?

the nodding donkey:

How do you know it’s been sticking?
:smiley:

andrew.s:

the nodding donkey:

How do you know it’s been sticking?
:smiley:

:laughing:

Dear Daf,

Have you heard of the new fangled metal protection process called galvanising?

If so, why the hell don’t you use it on your front bumpers?

Dear Daf,

• Why the hell have you made the top couple of inches of the drivers mirror obscured for tall drivers by that thick rubber window seal?
  • Where did you purchase your seat frames from, as I’m looking for a couple of short sturdy wide scaffold boards myself?
  • Why have you designed your suspension so it can be lower enough to make the drive wheels rub on the arches?
  • Why have you not included as standard a system to store the suzzies?
  • Did you purposefully design the gearbox so we could take a 15 while it thinks about selecting a gear?

And finally, is there a self destruct button/sequence and can I have the instructions? :imp:

“Engine Malfunction” will flash up every so often when I try and start it up. Keys out. Lock and unlock the doors and after between 10 seconds and 2 minutes it will start.

Dear Daf.

Latest euro 6 models with Arsetronic.

Whilst M and A modes are available for use, the system defaults back to ecoA after about 30 seconds to a minute, course this is unannounced so where you might be planning just to use the exhauster whilst staying in top gear to steady speed on a slight decline, you press the exhauster and if you haven’t noticed its reverted back to eco you get a sudden downshift of 2 gears and full engine braking.
On other makes, eg MAN Scania, whilst in A the driver can still have input in gear choice (Scania allows this whilst staying in A, MAN switches to M temporarily, either is fine), with latest Daf the driver has to go through the mode menu, first to A then to M, before any driver input is allowed by which time its too late for any professional driving…and whilst lorry drivers might be not as common as they once were your system is helping to remove those left from the pool.

As for the exhauster, that might as well be non existant in ecoA, after you’ve pressed the exhauster button and the system had a think its often too late for pure exhaust deceleration and the brakes are needed…course this brings up patronising driver bollockings on the dash :unamused: in M the exhauster responds very well, but you have to keep selecting M every 30 seconds or it defaults back to eco (again) and normal non service is resumed.
Compared to your latest implementation of Arsetronic, MAN has astoundingly become a real lorry drivers lorry, which is really saying something :open_mouth: .

Also, exhauster has to be manually switched off before resuming power, this needs sorting, simply resuming throttle cancels exhauster on nearly every other vehicle, the additional foot exhauster switch on early euro6 was an excellent idea but unless you’ve hidden it has vanished from the later poorer models.

Kind Regards.

Excellent thread Mucky me old mate, hopefully someone at the factory will take note?

Dear Daf or Norb.
Why have you never fitted some kind of throttle damper to your trucks. Always found it a bit difficult to keep the revs steady when driving on rough ground. Always causes jerky driving. Also found this lack of damping causes bad traction with its all or nothing accelerator pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear DAF when are you going to make good door lock barrels that don’t give out after 2 years

blue estate:
Dear DAF when are you going to make good door lock barrels that don’t give out after 2 years

Mine lasted 7 years in our CF (was replaced about 2 months ago) but I only managed about 4 years on the Alpha. I reckon the fact that Alphas didn’t have the side air deflectors (and had flat doors opposed to Dafs’ curved ones) that dirt and water flowed into the lock and knackered it.

Dear Daf thanks for improving those gastly fodens by showing them the way with your cab .

Has anyone noticed that one Daf/Foden can be more comfortable and easier to get a comfortable seating position than others? I was constantly fiddling with the Alphas’ seat, even had a few chiropractor appointments before the seats’ base was altered. I knew there was a fault when I drove one of the last Alphas’ built, and a couple of CF75s.
The old CF75 my boss sold early this year was very easy to get a good seating position, strangely.

Dear Daf when are you going to see the light again and fit a ■■■■■■■ / Eaton ?

Agree with you Dan. Bring back the rubber suspension along with engine choices like you said. Quite why Daf still build that “creak creak crack” noise into its’ chassis I don’t know.

Dear DAF, thanks for some good trucks. I had one of first Super Space RHDs in the country and thought it a great truck in its time. The SSC is still a good cab after 20? years. Since having that truck Ive had a few FH Volvos and driven (minimum of one week, Scanias too). Never had much too much criticism of DAFs until now, Im not an habitual knocker of them. My current 460 is coming up for 1 year old and 120k km. After 30 years of driving its a new experience for me. I hate it. Ive never hated a truck before, but you have made one here. Cab: SSC still roomy, although the lockers are slightly smaller inside, due to roof lights and electrics fitted near windscreen. Comfortable wide bunk. Good ventilation heater and air-con. Good fitted fridge. Good youve got rid of that silly pointless roof window. Good there is now an electric blind but why always a glass roof hatch? It lets in too much sun in summer, and is a condensing surface in the winter. Some problems with newer cabs, as water runs down inside of windscreen. Seems to be independent of rain, but happens in winter, so may be condensation? Not present on older models.
Engine: 460 is a good puller, cross country slightly quicker than my previous 480, and the cooling system keeps the temp down even on long steep drags. Previous models would go above the 3/4 mark on the hill at Caylar A75, but newer ones are just over 1/2. Quieter than before, mostly… Vibration: latest trucks have vibration to various degrees around the 1100rpm mark. I know of one on its 3rd heat shield on the particulate filter. 3 others with splits. And thats on a sample of 4: 100%. The vibration is not like a pneumatic road drill, but more of an annoying buzz through the steering wheel. It also makes a rattle so one driver wedges his foot against the steering column cover to stop it. Some buzzing noises from dash area generally. To avoid it one can change down (see gearbox), at a cost of more fuel. Not good.

Electronic “aids”: I dont know how many of the faults here are unique to DAf or are common to all current Eu6 trucks. Gearbox: Hateful bit of rubbish. Worse than Eu5 and early Eu6 models. Those two topics need book written about them, so Ill have break from key board and post a bit more later.

Punchy Dan:
Dear Daf thanks for improving those gastly fodens by showing them the way with your cab .

Just a shame that (judging by the comments) they made it of steel and put it on a crap chassis! :laughing:

Pete.

Why does my reversing bleeper stop in the rain or after using a wheelwash, and how can I sort it?

What Rain and wheel wash has in common? Water.

Your beeper have naked wires that shortens out once wet.