The "Dear Daf"...Problem Thread

Dear Daf

When i’m attempting to get onto a busy roundabout.Why upon seeing a space and entering said roundabout does the auto box on my CF 440 Euro 6 decide that at that precise time it’s best to block change gears? Leaving me with about as much power as the Labour Party and at the mercy of the oncoming vehicles braking credentials.

BeakFreak81:
Dear Daf

When i’m attempting to get onto a busy roundabout.Why upon seeing a space and entering said roundabout does the auto box on my CF 440 Euro 6 decide that at that precise time it’s best to block change gears? Leaving me with about as much power as the Labour Party and at the mercy of the oncoming vehicles braking credentials.

This goes the same for the LF flavour of Trucks as well

Dear DAF…

Why, only when you put fuel into the truck, does it only then increase it’s value…■■?

Remember that being mentioned years ago on here…

Been tramping in an xf super space this week and it’s a great lorry for living in but not so much for driving

Am I the only one who’s annoyed at where they put the screen wash refiller, or am I the only one who refills it? :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
Am I the only one who’s annoyed at where they put the screen wash refiller, or am I the only one who refills it? :laughing:

No, bloody stupid idea top corner where it’s a pain to tip a can. Usually spills out unless you pour it at a snails’ pace. The clutch/brake/ power steering fluid tank is in a daft place too unless you have a stepladder.

Why on earth did you employ a monkey to “Seal” the windscreens into the new CF?

In high winds, the squeal/whistle from the windscreen is unbearable.

Euro 6 CF:

Why does the instrument cluster rattle?
Why does it take over an hour of the engine not running before I can get an up to date oil level check?
Why is there a loud whining sound from the windscreen when its very windy?
In regards to the AEBS, why does it get triggered by overhead bridges on the motorway?
Again with the AEBS, why does it get triggered when the car in front of me has turned left and already cleared my path?
2016 Model: Why is there a 3 position engine brake level and not just a momentary one like the 2014 one?
2016 Model: Why are there flat spots in acceleration using cruise control when in ECO mode? Why does it climb a hill slower than any other truck on the road in ECO mode? Why does it change into 12th gear at 40MPH? Why doesn’t it change down gear when going up hill until below 1000RPM? Absolutely none of those are economical at all and the latter two just do damage to the engine and gearbox.

Evil8Beezle:

Its not too bad. Could be worse, could be a new MAN where you need to drop the suspension so you can actually fill it up in less than an hour.

Muckaway:
Post any or all your Daf problems/idiosyncrasies here and see if they can be solved…
Here’s one that bugs me; Why does my reversing bleeper stop in the rain or after using a wheelwash, and how can I sort it?
A general observation here, regarding the “backseat driver” (tutorial) mode on E6 models; You get marked down for harsh braking, but you need to hit the brakes after loading on a tipper to level the load out. Or at least I have to because my truck has a muck body fitted.
Any other problems to address to “Dear Daf…”

I had the same problem with the reversing bleeper on my XF. It is mounted in the underside of the rear light. I made up a small shroud to shield it,and the problem is now solved.

Own Account Driver:
Dear Daf,

Have you heard of the new fangled metal protection process called galvanising?

If so, why the hell don’t you use it on your front bumpers?

Bumpers on the euro 6 xf are now galvanised. Don’t know about the cf.

nyk473l:

Muckaway:
Why does my reversing bleeper stop in the rain or after using a wheelwash, and how can I sort it?

I had the same problem with the reversing bleeper on my XF. It is mounted in the underside of the rear light. I made up a small shroud to shield it,and the problem is now solved.

Cheers I’m going to have a look after my holidays and see if I can sort it.

Dear Daf…Why did you axe Fodens’ rubber suspension as it was and still is vastly superior than your rigid tipper chassis?
Also, why isn’t there an option to have a Leyland badge on the grille, as opposed to a Daf one?

That reminds me… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Why oh why… When you pick up a trailer with an AMBER ABS Fault does the truck see fit to disable the AEBS and Cruise Control systems? :unamused:

I actually sort of understand the reasoning behind it, but why not allow a fail safe “Cruise Override” that disables the Adaptive Cruise in the event of an ABS warning.

Conor:
Euro 6 CF:
In regards to the AEBS, why does it get triggered by overhead bridges on the motorway?
Again with the AEBS, why does it get triggered when the car in front of me has turned left and already cleared my path.

The first time this happened to me, I almost had a Royal Mail lorry stuffed up my backside. The stupid thing picked up the Thursley overbridge on the A3 and slammed on the brakes. Whats also very annoying with this stupid AEBS thing is once it lets go of the brakes, you still have to wait a few seconds before you can accelerate again, leaving you coasting whilst looking like a complete knob for randomly braking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barber90:
“Engine Malfunction” will flash up every so often when I try and start it up. Keys out. Lock and unlock the doors and after between 10 seconds and 2 minutes it will start.

Exactly the same here. Happens randomly on two of our Euro 6 LF boxvans.

We’ve also had over a dozen gearsticks snapped off in drivers hands! We’ve got 20 trucks on 15-reg plates.

Cosmic:

barber90:
“Engine Malfunction” will flash up every so often when I try and start it up. Keys out. Lock and unlock the doors and after between 10 seconds and 2 minutes it will start.

Exactly the same here. Happens randomly on two of our Euro 6 LF boxvans.

We’ve also had over a dozen gearsticks snapped off in drivers hands! We’ve got 20 trucks on 15-reg plates.

Oh yes can’t forget the gear sticks that snap!

Dear DAF 2:
Electronics:
As per above posts. Random triggering of AEBS. Good idea, but not well developed yet. It comes on because of bridges, road furniture, and for no apparent reason.
Idem Lane Departure, good idea, but doesnt work well enough yet to be fitted. Doesnt warn sometimes and gives false warnings at other times.
Sensors for above two features are badly affected by the weather. Snow, fog, spray make a pretty audio/visual display on the dash to say they are not working. In bad weather Id rather not have yellow lights flashing and buzzers sounding off thank-you. Switches are scattered all over the shop, including on the bottom edge of the dash hidden by the steering wheel. Ad-blue gauge: why a bank of warning lights instead of a gauge as before? Why have blue and red lights to show all is well?? Stupid. A dash should give info and not be a distraction. Lights, blue/red etc should be for warnings only IMHO. Power sockets and audio input mounted below cup holders doesnt seem wise to me.
Tacho: its very good to have a dash display of current driving time that corresponds with what is on the drivers card. Ferry movements are also recognised by the current system, good.
Light check feature useful. (All lights flash on/off for daily check).
Seats as fitted to my example are good, as good as the 2006 model, and they were still good at over 800k km.

damoq:
Dear Daf or Norb.
Why have you never fitted some kind of throttle damper to your trucks. Always found it a bit difficult to keep the revs steady when driving on rough ground. Always causes jerky driving. Also found this lack of damping causes bad traction with its all or nothing accelerator pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! Its a right pain dragging a loaded trailer over the rampway at Immingham docks Riverside when its wet. Even with the TC on its still wheel spinning or if its not doing that its doing its kangaroo impression!

Dear Daf

Why did you fit what looks like a steering wheel? On a lorry that doesn’t actually turn? A bit superfluous, like those steering wheels on Children’s toys that just spin round and round, I can only assume it’s a dinner plate table for nights out men?

Ps, on the children’s toy theme, I like the picture of the tortoise. Can I get one with a hare or Cheetah for drive? Perhaps a picture of a sloth for neutral.