The daily commute

In a nut shell I’m looking to change jobs but my commute would change from 20 mins to 40! (this is on day work)

So how longs yours?

Depends, I’ve worked within 15 mins cycle from my house and have worked 2hrs drive - but this was away all week…

Todays work will be around 30 mins on motorbike from my house, would take slightly longer in a car.

I once had a commute that was 45-50 mins in morning and just over an hour at night. Did this for about 6 months. Was a killer but neccessery for class 2 experience. Didnt bother me at the time as I was still loving the job but anything more than 15 minutes now puts me off!

20 mins early morn, maybe 35 mins depending on finish time (not far but cross two market towns), again daywork no nights away…once in a blue moon i’ll go to another depot which takes around 45 mins.

All my working life has been a max of 30 minutes typical commute, i’d only consider a long commute once a week.

2 hours a day commute is ok if you only work 9 or so hours (or sat on a train doing some of your office work), it’ll destroy you if you work 13+ hours plus a peak time drive to/from work daily.

4 minutes in the morning. 10 minutes in rush hour. 1.5 miles :smiley:

When I thought about this I realised I’ve never worked more than 14 miles from door to yard, most being around the 10 mile mark. As for the time it takes well that depends on the time I started, the mode of transport & the weather as well as the location. One job took an hour to get in starting at 1700 & 20 mins to get home between 0200 & 0500. Currently 30 mins by bike.

My commute is about 50 mins each way. To be honest it’s the last thing I want after a 12 hour day. Luckily I only work two days a week. Anything more and I wouldn’t be able to manage it

10-15 minutes. Never in rush hour - one of the few upsides of night work

10 minutes down hill on the way there, 13 minutes uphill on the way back.

If I go in the car, 5 minutes either way.

up to 6 months ago i was about 35 minutes to about an hour each way depending on time of day. with 9 hours off it became undesirable so now i have a 15 minute walk each way which will hopefully change to about 7 minutes on a mountain bike from tomorrow or about 20 minutes if its the other depot. the saving in fuel and maintenence offsets the pay i could be getting if i travelled further but no hourly rate makes up for the time i am now not spending travelling further afield

I used to live 25 mins away from work. Ironically it felt more of a rush than now I am further away. I used to cut it a bit fine for getting into work on time and with little chance of making the time up unless I drove like Jackie Stewart on his way to the annual free tartan clothing sale.

Then I met this girl…and then I sold my house and moved in with her, which was about 85 miles from work (fast A road and M’way, so very relaxing). I start in the early hours and tend to do about 9-10 hrs a shift, so the run in and home was all ‘off peak’ times. Was quite nice for the novelty for a while but I was glad to move another 7 months later. I used my car and motorbike for a bit of variety - the bike when I thought holiday traffic was going to cause issues, it was also faster, more economical, and strangely more comfy than the car). We are now a mere 45 miles from my work and it seems like a walk in the park. I just bought a car which is more suitable for long motorway drives (2.2 turbo diesel with cruise), probably could have done with that last year!

The girly’s sister spends 1.5 hours each way commuting across London for her job, thousands of people each day do apparently hideous commutes for work so they can live where they like. I saw a tv show where a couple (2 gay blokes if you remember it) commuted from their French home to work in London each day. Having said that I would not like to do any drive into work where I had to live with rush hour traffic and start/stop at lights etc.

35 minutes in winter, 45-60 in summer. Most of my working life has been around 45 minutes or so each way, shortest I’ve ever had has been 15 minutes.

Panick:
So how longs yours?

Long enough to fill a pram.

45-60 mins each way 5 days a week but like the job so don’t mind the travel.

have had some much nearer that I hated.

Around 10milea each way so, 20/25 mins to work then 25-35 on the way home. I wouldn’t travel any further. When I was engineering I commuted from Huddersfield to Northampton daily for about 6months as well as working 10-12 hours a day. It killed me.

Thanks for the replies. sounds like 40 min would be fairly normal.
I have a fairly fuel efficient car but fuel costs are still a major factor

Used to be 90 mile a day round trip but have since moved so only 66 miles a day :open_mouth:
The only thing that bothers me is if I have to reduce my 11 hour break.

Was just under a mile, have just moved its now 2.6 miles. At least i have time to finish a ■■■ now :smiley:

Depends on which of our yards they want me at. Nearest is only about 2 mile from my house but the furthest I do on a regular basis is a 140 mile round trip so 90 mins in the morning and possibly 2 to 2 1/2 hours (ish) on the way home depending on traffic.

10 minutes pedal each way, takes longer in a car as I live in Runcorn & work in Widnes. The bridge can be a pain