The Big Countdown to 50 mph

I will probably sound a bit thick here, this does include scotland aswell doesn’t it? Or am I getting my wires crossed?

merc0447:
I will probably sound a bit thick here, this does include scotland aswell doesn’t it? Or am I getting my wires crossed?

Err, no.

merc0447:

No it doesn’t
handyshippingguide.com/shipp … facts_6205

I’m sticking to 40mph,don’t like change.

ckm1981:
I’m sticking to 40mph,don’t like change.

I might creep up to 45 (road/conditions allowing) but I don’t wanna be meeting my maker any time sooner than needed! Wonder how many threads there’ll be on here by the 1st anniversary of the increase when a ‘trucker’ wipes out some poor old pensioner etc due to banging along at 50, ‘because he could’? Some can’t even keep it upright on a straight m/way, let alone a ‘twisty’ A road or cuz some bleeding farmer type pulls out of his field in his old Massey tractor/trailer (missing the obligatory lights) loaded with bales, especially during the hours of darkness…or even the occasional logger that CBA to give way. IMO, it’s not a particularly good move…why not just let us have the limiter adjusted to peak at 60mph on the m/ways? Most relatively new trucks are doing near on that anyway. People will always speed where they can (and accidents/fatalities will always happens) let’s just have it on the appropriate roads…the speed that is, not the fatalities

I won’t be going any faster than 40 on the Warcop bends. 4.5 tonne packs of chipboard tend to not like being thrown from side to side.

The 40 mph limit on A roads is from the dark ages long before motorways were even thought of and when lorries had vacuum brakes, no power steering no nearside mirrors, one windscreen wiper, along with a trailer lad for company, the list goes on!

The rise is long overdue for today’s modern lorries, at least it will make that return night journey from Newark to Norwich a lot better.

One size fits all, it doesn’t but that doesn’t stop 'em legislating as if it’s true.

Following the recent fatalities, though whether speed over the pre ordained limit was a factor is not known, i’m a little surprised the upping to 50 on single carriageways hasn’t been postponed pending more reports.

Inclined to agree with Actrosman, there’s enough out there that can’t judge what is a suitable speed for the road traffic and conditions, nor keep the bloody things upright on the tarmac, at any speed, even in a straight line with everyone going in the same direction.

It’s not as if it’s the law to have to drive at 50mph is it? You can do 50+ on plenty A roads I’ve been on these days, and plenty do, with little to no problems, the A1 north of Morpeth for example. No it won’t be safe everywhere but that’s up to the driver using their skills :open_mouth:
Remember, it’s a limit not a target.

I suspect that on some roads, local authorities will simply reduce speed limits from 50mph to 40mph for everyone (much as you already find on minor country roads in parts of Surrey, for example), and some will be seeking legal advice as to whether they can impose lower speed limits for trucks on certain roads. There are some roads where you can’t safely do much more than 40mph even though there’s a national speed limit; it’ll be useful not to have to stick to 40mph on roads like the A46 Stratford by-pass or the A22 at Maresfield (which are wide, two-lane roads) and to be able to do 56 on long dual carriageways, some of which have motorway characteristics (e.g. the A2 near Gravesend and the A3 at Esher).

:imp:

moomooland:
The 40 mph limit on A roads is from the dark ages long before motorways were even thought of and when lorries had vacuum brakes, no power steering no nearside mirrors, one windscreen wiper, along with a trailer lad for company, the list goes on!

The rise is long overdue for today’s modern lorries, at least it will make that return night journey from Newark to Norwich a lot better.

:imp: no it wont you will still get the 40 mph brigade with a empty 6 leger :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Anyone know what speed Tescos will be taking our safety seriously at?

The thing I’m most interested in is whether the more impatient drivers will be willing to sit behind a truck doing 50mph. Overtaking an artic with another artic is risky business even at 40mph unless you can see well into the distance. Will be even riskier when you only have a 6mph advantage.

The A15 is going to be fun come April.

I await the inevitable spike in A-road deaths after April…

A better “lifting of restrictions” would have been the lifting of ‘having to give way at crossroads involving a cyclist’. :smiling_imp:

Who thinks this clip has the rigid driver in the wrong, rather than the speeding main road impacter or the cyclist?

Some European countries have different speed limits posted on some roadsfor lorries and cars, Germany in particular…

Muckaway:
Anyone know what speed Tescos will be taking our safety seriously at?

45.6 mph i hear if tesco own, if it stobart then it warp speed 9

The thing I thought about was, would those drivers that like to hang the job out, or those keeping to a strict 39mph, start to get spoken to by TMs regarding the time they’ve taken given the raised speed limits. You get plenty complaining on here about the office ringing asking why they’re so slow.

BillyHunt:
The thing I thought about was, would those drivers that like to hang the job out, or those keeping to a strict 39mph, start to get spoken to by TMs regarding the time they’ve taken given the raised speed limits. You get plenty complaining on here about the office ringing asking why they’re so slow.

That depends on one thing mate, whether you have been brainwashed by your boss into thinking that sitting at 39 on a 40 legal limit, and getting your drops off at a sensible and safe pace is interpreted as ‘hanging the job out’ :unamused:
On the other end of your question would those drivers that already sit on the limiter all day, and teararse about like a ■■■■■■ idiot, not having time to stop for a ■■■■, and treat the job as some kind of challenge/endurance test, get spoken to by the TMs and ask why they cannot manage to do even more now given the raised ‘speed target’. I for one ■■■■■■ hope so.