The 1st truck you drove

I was in Chorlton ■■■ Hardy yesterday, and there is now a little antique shop where I 1st started driving for a living.
It was an exhibition company, and they used to have a 3.5cwt luton transit and a big (I thought so then anyway) Bedford TK 7.5 tonner.
I drove the transit for a while but was then asked to drive the 7.5 tonner home one night. I ■■■■ myself, filled in the disc tacho and drove away…no big deal but was amazed how little it responded on bends, I had to use strongarm because of no power steering. I spent 3 years driving this little ■■■■■■■ before they upgraded to a ■■■■■ little Iveco cargo which did have power steering.
Anyone remember the Bedford TK?

d series ford.

Series 1 FH.

daf 2800 twin steer c/w 26 pallet gray,adams fridge
leave spalding . load sydney hart harlow, tip tesco harlow, tesco doncaster, tesco middleton, back to donny for pod"s then home to spalding.
slept well that night

A 7.5 canter I had to start somewhere :slight_smile:

Deleted

A series ERF, flat trailer loaded with three lathes, secured with ropes.

Bedford MK non turbo :open_mouth:
Courtesy of Her Maj’s trucking Corps :smiley:

A Bedford TM that was used as a yard shunter (I was 11 haha) first truck I drove legally on the road was a P cabbed 113 unit.

BRS Leyland Beaver, sitting on the old man’s knee aged about 8yrs… :smiley:
Legally… ERF B Series day cab for John Stamper, driving out of Rutherglen in 1987.

Leyland constructor y reg 265 rolls 10 speed spicer.

A 3 ton unladen Bedford with a gross weight of 10 ton under the old regulations at the age of 18.

commonrail:
d series ford.

Same as, 7.5 Tonner Flat Back.
Where I first learnt to rope & sheet ‘Properly’ after one of the 1st loads I did was loose pots of powder paint on pallets & one pot of Red Powder decided to commit suicide in front of a following car on the Bendy Old A414 between Harlow & Hoddesdon. I thought I’d started WW3 with the Mushroom Cloud behind me :sunglasses:

One of the nasty fodens for merlin distribution on sainsburys at rye park. They were a cancelled order for AJ Bull and had the rear axles cut off. Crash boxes were good for a tune or two in morning rush hour. Steel suspension with a cat engine and a little computer in front of the stick that caught you out when you changed gear. Grazed some knuckles on that ■■■■■■■■ Merlin could only get those because they had bad credit :open_mouth:

Pete the post:
Bedford MK non turbo :open_mouth:
Courtesy of Her Maj’s trucking Corps :smiley:

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^

Then on to a Scammel Crusader on L plates and then a Mighty Antar! Noisy, uncomfortable, square wheels first thing in the morning. Only plus side was plenty of bottle openers in the cab.

OVLOV JAY:
One of the nasty fodens for merlin distribution on sainsburys at rye park. They were a cancelled order for AJ Bull and had the rear axles cut off. Crash boxes were good for a tune or two in morning rush hour. Steel suspension with a cat engine and a little computer in front of the stick that caught you out when you changed gear. Grazed some knuckles on that [zb]! Merlin could only get those because they had bad credit :open_mouth:

I experienced the same re skimmed knuckles. Not on 6w but the 8ws strangely. Brilliant motors, if you could live with the draughty doors.
:laughing:
My first motor was an F reg Foden 4300 8wheeler. Cat powered and crash 'box. Still one of the best motors I’ve driven but I would prefer the FM with I-Shift that I had yesterday.

Mercedes atego with more electrical issues than the Chernobyl power station control room!

On my rigid lessons a volvo fm then first day by myself a volvo fl, artic test a erf dunno what one then first artic was a volvo fh 460 which I had for a while and still see about on the roads now bu53knn white volvo always got a blue curtainside trailer on

I had the odd short drive of a Bedford TK, and a bit of yard shunting in whatever was kicking about the yard.
Then i nicked my brothers Scania 141 and went joy riding round the industrial estate. I got a good kicking for that. :laughing:
One day i got a call “Come on, and bring your passport”.
I jacked my job in and went to Spain with my brother. I didn’t have an HGV licence back then, But it didn’t seem to be an issue.

Started on 7.5 tonne cargo’s,passed my class 1 in a cargo artic then the first “big” truck I drove was a Volvo F88,6x4,150 tonne recovery truck. What a motor,splitter on the dash (which I was told not to touch under any circumstances).Holmes 750 gear on it ,was as fast as ■■■■-easily do 75/80 great beast of a thing. I used to catch my fingers on the seat piping when changing into 4th/8th,but the cuts were worth it.