Thats it time to move out of this game

Well after driving trucks for the past 30 odd years, ive finally bitten the bullet and decided its time to get out of driving, since being made redundant back in March, ive found out what a lot of you are saying, this industry is knackered and wages are crap, had a few jobs over past few months all i have left for one reason or another after a few weeks, getting shafted is not me, been around too long for that.
So found myself a nice cushty job at a local college £8 p/hr for a 39 hour week, ok not great money, but will make it up with some agency work on a Thursday / Friday nights @ £11.75 P/hr on Royal mail and keep my eye in on driving, have seen local class 1 work advertised at £8.50 P/hr :unamused:

Looking forward to no more 2/3am starts and getting home 17 hours later, no more stupid T/O staff, no old wreck to drive with a guess the gears gearbox and being stuck on some motorway somewhere in a traffic jam, going to have my weekends back and be home by 6 every night, 10 minute cycle ride to work and summer evenings in the local :smiley:

Am i going to miss life on the road? yes & no, had good times & bad times over the years, met loads of interesting people and travelled throughout UK & Europe, but its getting more hassle now, so time to call it a day, plus i’ll have lots of lovely totty to ogle over every day now! :laughing:

Jammy so and so, best of luck :smiley:

Things aren’t great in the UK at the moment but if they do improve you’ll have your licence to go back to it if you wanted to. Best of luck!!

I’m pretty sure the 39 hours will include thursday and friday, so driving an artic on those nights is both illegal and crazy.

Also, I’m pretty sure most college jobs (assuming teaching?) don’t finish as you leave the building?

Anyway, best of luck for the future man :slight_smile:

Another one bites the dust. Not a bad effort; 30 odd years. Shame you couldn’t hack it until the end. Good luck.

good luck governor , enjoy your new job

jen x

Sadly an all too familiar story these days. Good luck mate.

I’m pretty sure the 39 hours will include thursday and friday, so driving an artic on those nights is both illegal and crazy, Also, I’m pretty sure most college jobs (assuming teaching?) don’t finish as you leave the building?

Not teaching, part of security & maintenance team,hours 0600 - 1.00pm (Weds till 1700) and would be doing night driving job, starting after 22.00, will only be doing a friday night :wink:

Wouldn’t the 39 hours being all at RM be a more cushy number? You could get that in across 3 shifts…

So your leaving the glamorous world of ‘trucking’ to become a school janitor,think I would have just sloped off quietly.

You might find yourself coming back to it, seeing as many recent drivers (not age dependent) don’t seem up to the job i have a funny feeling that things might well improve for those that can do in the not so distant future.

Armagedon:
So your leaving the glamorous world of ‘trucking’ to become a school janitor,think I would have just sloped off quietly.

Why? He will probably get treated better, more respect, he will be home every evening and know what time, no stress from traffic jams and TM’s, no sleeping in a tin can, no being asked to “bend the laws”, no moaning forklift drivers, no VOSA, no ridiculous start times, No stupid DCPC to take, proper toilet and subsidised canteen facilities, and the totty!.
Any jobs going? :wink:

Good luck to you mate, I’ve got a similar history to you and I have been looking at ways to get out of it for a few years now, it just aint the same job as it used to be, over regulated… bordering on zero tolerance, DCPC, drivers hours, H&S, trackers, job ran by d.heads who have neither done it, or in real terms even understand it, can’t park without either getting turned over, clamped, or nicked, and on top of that the public hate you, and all for £7+ an hour. My problem is that it,s all I know, and when I talk to drivers the same age as myself they all are of the same opinion :open_mouth: , so whats gone wrong with the job, I genuinely don’t remember when I was in my 20s, drivers who were at what my age is now having a similar opinion then, so what has gone wrong? somebody just said it will get better but will it, I don’t refer to all of today’s drivers but looking at the attitudes of some of todays steerers with licences who think they are drivers does nothing to improve things either, but that’s an entirely a new thread altogether.

I’m not missing it either: Just load 'em and watch them go get stuck in traffic or messed about by someone on site or in the transport office, knowing I’m no longer paid by a stupid bonus scheme.

truckerjon:

Armagedon:

Why? He will probably get treated better, more respect, he will be home every evening and know what time, no stress from traffic jams and TM’s, no sleeping in a tin can, no being asked to “bend the laws”, no moaning forklift drivers, no VOSA, no ridiculous start times, No stupid DCPC to take, proper toilet and subsidised canteen facilities, and the totty!.
Any jobs going? :wink:

As above :smiley:

Armagedon:

GLAMOUROUS■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Are you serious? If a school janitor paid a good wage… wheres me brush?

Manic depressives the lot of you,41 years I’ve been doing this job and 41 years ago the same whingeing…you don’t know when your well off…can any of you imagine the horror of being home EVERY night.

To quote the Eagles song Hotel California “you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave” you’ll soon be back at it, what would you do if the red arrows offered you a start?

Armagedon:
Manic depressives the lot of you,41 years I’ve been doing this job and 41 years ago the same whingeing…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Amen brother :smiley:

Wah wah wah wah Jesus H, anyone would think half you lot have had a gun to your heads for decades forcing you to endure and suffer in silence (except RDC waiting rooms) . This jobs easier than it ever was FFS :unamused: :unamused: Unless of course you are a spineless drama queen without freewill and a pair of legs :unamused:

I swear some of you must spend all day looking for things to fret and moan over. A theory backed up by most of the recent threads like the bridge clearance one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not the job that’s the problem, it’s a lot of the idiots doing it :wink:

OP I wish you the very best with your new vocation :smiley:

mike68:
what would you do if the red arrows offered you a start?

Ah, you mean Earthline- fly and fly out again.