That was the week that was...........

…one I’d rather forget!

Monday,late start,10.15am.Go to Bullingen in the Ardennes and load timber for France.When I arrive there’s two other’s from our firm loading for the same place.They load and leave,my load is’nt ready and I wait for the timber to be cut and banded.At 6.45pm I’m loaded and on my way with 25tons of sawn timber up to the roof.By now it’s -6c and fog as thick as can be,progress is slow.
Try to get into the Rasthof near Bitburg but the place is full,and I’m starving!
So,carry on and stop for a mediocre meal at the Lux border.Get as far as Langres and straight to bed.

Tuesday,after a 9hr break it’s on with the coffee and set sail,at least the fog has gone.I have to unload in 25-Frasne which is way down past Besancon.I arrive just as they are going to lunch.Typical.Unload and get a message to load in 88-Charmes,3 pieces for Filton,Bristol.So it’s back up through Besancon and Vesoul and past Epinal,stopping on the way for a bite to eat.
I’d been told they load in Charmes until 7pm,so when I arrive at 7.50 I expect to have a good nights sleep outside the gate.Wrong,‘Come in driver and we’ll load you now’.■■■■.The office had already informed me that when loaded ‘Make my way back to Genk’ so I assume I’ll be changing trailers.
After I’m loaded I run up as far as Luxembourg,have a nice hot shower,a glass of wine and into bed.

Wednesday,after another 9hr break it’s back on the road and onto the E25 through the Ardenne and past Liege arriving in Genk 11.15.
“What shall I do”? I ask the office. Oh,you can go home and leave tomorrow to deliver Friday morning! Brilliant,if they’d have told me that yesterday I could have been home an hour ago! So,finished at midday.

Thursday,leave home at 5.30am so as to miss the rush hour on the Brussels Ring.Arrive Calais 9.15,and as usual there is a hold up due to so many lanes going down to two for the UK immigration.Though I do notice that they are erecting another booth for immigration so that should ease things for the future.
However,there is a lot of activity just past the booth and it seems an Italian has been caught with a couple of stowaways in his trailer.Though god knows how they managed to get in there,the cartons are stacked to within a few centimetres of the roof.
Anyway,it’s on to the P&O Pride of Burgundy,which is a bit of a bummer (ask Coffeeholic) as it’s like an icebox.It seems that as this is a freight only ship they turn the heating down! Sit there reading the paper with my jacket zipped up!!
Leave Dover and onto the M20 then M25 to join the traffic around Heathrow which as usual is crawling along.Stop at Reading services and make some coffee.
My new GPS satnav directs me straight to Airbus at Filton where I find another one of our trucks waiting.He’s already unloaded in Solihull and just has one piece for Filton.We try to see if we can unload today,but it’s a crane-off job and the crane is’nt booked until 10.00 tomorrow.At last,a long nights rest (I hate those 9hr jobbies) and so we have a bite to eat,watch a bit of telly (with a glass or two of wine) and then to bed.(Though not together I hasten to add!)

Friday,rain and strong winds (and that’s just the weather) greet the day.At 10am the crane arrives and we go right round the other side of the factory to unload (they even have a Concorde parked on the tarmac!)
Problem.They need a spreader bar to unload the air conditioning machines and that is at their depot in Avonmouth.An hour later the missing piece of equipment arrives and unloading starts.As the other driver was here before me and he only has one machine to lift off,they start on him first.
In the meantime I get a message from our office to say that I should unload first as I have to go to Solihull and load empties for Strasbourg.
When I tell the other driver he laughs and say’s that when he was in Solihull the day before he’d asked the office if he should load empties as he had an almost empty trailer and they said ‘No,someone will load them on Friday’!
Well that was good planning!!!
After the other driver is unloaded he goes off to load in Telford.When I am finished and got the trailer all buttoned up again I head off for Solihull,by this time it’s now 12.00 midday.
Just as I hit the M42/M40 split everthing comes to a grinding halt,and a few miles up the road all becomes clear.A Volvo FM is on it’s side on the opposite carriageway up against the hard shoulder,with a loaded bulker in which looks like waste.How he managed that I don’t know!
I arrive at Land-Rover,Solihull at 2.10pm and the place is deserted.I find a guy inside and tell him I have to load empties for Strasbourg,to which he replies ‘Yes ok,Monday morning.You see we finish at 12.30 on a Friday and everyone has gone home’.
I send a message to the office and they say they’ll get on to it,but I know there’s nothing that can be done.
An hour later I get a message to say ‘Come home empty and go empty to Strasbourg and load Monday afternoon’.The language is much too blue to write here regarding what I was thinking!!!
So it’s a toss up whether I go M1 or M40.As I’d already heard Sally Traffic talking about problems on the M1/M25 area I decide to go M40. Everything goes well until I come off the M40 onto the M25 and hit the back of the queue.
It takes me nearly an hour before I clear the traffic past the M3 but then it’s a clear run to Maidstone where I stop for a 45min break and nip into Sainsbury’s for a bit of shopping.Back on the M20 the matrix signs are saying it’s a 4hr delay at Dover,so I decide to pull off at Folkestone and park up until the morning and hope that it’s all cleared up by then.

Saturday,leave Folkestone at 6.45 and just get down to Dover to join the queue at the roundabout by the Western Docks entrance.It then takes me until 8am to get into the dock where the problem seems to be that there is a massive queue for Sea France which is blocking access to P&O and Norfolk Line! That and the fact that there are hundreds of daytrippers going over to get their booze for Christmas!!!
I book onto the 10.00 sailing which leaves at 9.30.(?)
Drop the trailer,fill up with diesel and finish at 15.45

That was the week that was one I’d rather forget.

Nice read Keith, and I know exactly what you mean about the Burgandy.

BTW I ordered yesterday and received to day the same SatNav you have recently purchased, nice bit of kit and looking forward to testing it out this week.

Looks like a pretty average week really :open_mouth: .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Makes you appriciate the easier weeks even more with weeks like that doesn’t it, funny how they are getting few and far between though :cry:

I know the feelings well :smiley:

I understand what you mean about those 9 hr breaks, and there is me thinking I will park up outside the place for 12 hours, then they want to load you :frowning:

I came back from Angers last week, with a shopping list for some wine for me :stuck_out_tongue:
Do you think I could not get anywhere to park or get any?

Last chance this week, Just need to be careful not to miss the last ferry :stuck_out_tongue: I cant afford Christmas in Cherbourg :wink:

Interesting read, KW. Thanks for sharing with us.

From a dispatcher’s point of view i would have been totally and completely :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: to have to send an empty truck down to Strasbourg from UK to pick up there and this is only because of the delay at unloading at the previous place (Filton) and bad planning concerning the opening hours at Solihull. :unamused:

Cheers and have a nice weekend all…

Coffeeholic:
BTW I ordered yesterday and received to day the same SatNav you have recently purchased, nice bit of kit and looking forward to testing it out this week.

I have just ordered an external antenna for it Neil,I have found over the past few weeks that you can drive for over half an hour while it searches for a signal.
You have to watch out when it tries to send you off and back on at the same motorway junction for some reason or another,just keep an eye on the 3D map and you can see where you are heading as the route is highlighted in red.
The voice command tells you well in advance (2.5km) when you have to make an exit off a motorway and 600m in advance on normal roads.
The routing set up needs to be adjusted to get the best out of it,but the map detail for europe is excellent.
A nice bit of kit and I’m very pleased with it.
Let me know how you get on with it.

Great & interesting read, your weeks job are more interesting than mine :unamused: sometime i feel i cant wait until i became lorry driver when i read any ‘s lorry drivers’ diary! :wink:
Good one KW

Cheers
Ben

KW:
I have just ordered an external antenna for it Neil,I have found over the past few weeks that you can drive for over half an hour while it searches for a signal.

Haven’t had that problem so far, longest it has taken is a couple of minutes and more often than not I haven’t even folded the antenna out from the back of the unit. The only time it has lost the signal this week so far is in tunnels and it regains it in seconds on exiting.

KW:
You have to watch out when it tries to send you off and back on at the same motorway junction for some reason or another,just keep an eye on the 3D map and you can see where you are heading as the route is highlighted in red.

It tried to do that on Sunday night between Gent and Brussels but i just got it to recalculate the route and it did so and the recalculated route didn’t want me to exit and rejoin.

KW:
The voice command tells you well in advance (2.5km) when you have to make an exit off a motorway and 600m in advance on normal roads.

I like that voice, she’s my new best friend. :wink: :blush: :smiley:

KW:
The routing set up needs to be adjusted to get the best out of it,but the map detail for europe is excellent.

The detail is very good and I’ve spent a while putting all the regular places I go into it, it has every single one I’ve checked so far. I’ve tweaked the routing settings and it seems to be the right balance, this morning I got it to do the route from loading in Herrenberg to Remich in Luxembourg and it sent me the way I go which is a combination of Autobahn and national roads.

KW:
A nice bit of kit and I’m very pleased with it.

That’s for sure and worth every penny. My son bought a Tom Tom Go last week and that is another very good bit of kit but with that you would need a few memory cards to cover all of Europe which is why I went for the Navman.

Just for info COffee, as someone who has just nbought a TomTOm GO, it is true that the supplied card can only hold GB, but less than £40, and you can get a 512mb card which can hold both GB plus western Europe.

I am dead chuffed with it so far!

Cheers

I looked into it and it seems I would need more than just one card to fit it all on, they say Germany needs 256mb alone.

Coffeeholic:

KW:

Haven’t had that problem so far, longest it has taken is a couple of minutes and more often than not I haven’t even folded the antenna out from the back of the unit. The only time it has lost the signal this week so far is in tunnels and it regains it in seconds on exiting.

If it’s not a rude question :blush: where have you got it mounted?
Maybe you have it nearer the front than I have mine.I fixed mine in the small tray on the dash top.If yours is nearer the windscreen maybe it picks up the signal better.

I’ve mounted mine on the small triangular sort of shaped bit of dash, the bit that covers up the bit that the small screen for the Dynafleet pops out of if the vehicle has it fitted, if you know what I mean. It is just to the right of the small tray so much the same position as yours.

This morning I left the servicer area at Bierges just south of Brussels and it had a fix before I was on the motorway proper. When I left the ferry in Dover it had a fix before I got up onto the elevated bit, so it is getting a fix in seconds rather than minutes. Have you installed the service pack update, SP1, from the Navman website? I did that on Saturday so maybe that might be one difference if you haven’t done that.

Just installed the update,so I’ll see if it performs better when I go back in the New Year.

Fingers crossed