TGX's loosing water

We’ve got 8 MAN TGX 26.440’s on the fleet.
3 x 11 plates 400,000km +
3 x 12 plates 300,000km +
2 x 13 plates 170,000km +

Also got a few MAN 6 wheelers 61/62 plates.

Most of them have been back to MAN, Northampton (some on more than 1 occasion) with Water Loss & they don’t seem to be able to rectify the problem. Apparently, because, when they ‘Plug’ them in, they find no codes to work by & now they are saying that we’ve got to keep running them but keep a record of how much water they are using because MAN won’t pay for any work done-re no codes.

Has anyone else come across this problem & did you get it fixed ?
If so, what was causing the water loss ?

I understand that the oil is ok, so it’s not getting into the engine, so the only other place is through the exhaust as there’s no tell tale leaks on the ground.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Think we’re going to Mercedes or DAF next year, it’s a shame because I like my TGX & it’s about the only one that hasn’t suffered from water loss (yet !)

EGR, the water goes from the EGR unit into the exhaust and evaporates so you never see any sign of a water leak, cant remember the cure, think a set of o rings in the egr cooler cures it although MAN will probably just want to stick a new unit one

chaversdad:
EGR, the water goes from the EGR unit into the exhaust and evaporates so you never see any sign of a water leak, cant remember the cure, think a set of o rings in the egr cooler cures it although MAN will probably just want to stick a new unit one

Just got a message stating the EGR, INTERESTING ! Or the high pressure charge cooler. Gonna have a chat with our resident fitter on Monday & see if they’ve been checked.

Thanks.

Not allowed to use a cooling system pressure tester then because it doesn’t ‘plug in’ ?

We had this at my old place on a TGA, and I tracked it down to the EGR cooler as well. Simple fix was to block off both ends of the exhaust pipe as it entered and exited the cooler, problem solved.

Course the EGR no longer works as it should, but hey ho!

martinviking:
We’ve got 8 MAN TGX 26.440’s on the fleet.
3 x 11 plates 400,000km +
3 x 12 plates 300,000km +
2 x 13 plates 170,000km +

Also got a few MAN 6 wheelers 61/62 plates.

Most of them have been back to MAN, Northampton (some on more than 1 occasion) with Water Loss & they don’t seem to be able to rectify the problem. Apparently, because, when they ‘Plug’ them in, they find no codes to work by & now they are saying that we’ve got to keep running them but keep a record of how much water they are using because MAN won’t pay for any work done-re no codes.

Has anyone else come across this problem & did you get it fixed ?
If so, what was causing the water loss ?

I understand that the oil is ok, so it’s not getting into the engine, so the only other place is through the exhaust as there’s no tell tale leaks on the ground.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Think we’re going to Mercedes or DAF next year, it’s a shame because I like my TGX & it’s about the only one that hasn’t suffered from water loss (yet !)

WTF does a computer tell you about coolant loss?
I work for a "main agent"and what a bunch of tossers!
Used to work for another "main agent"and was told to look at a unit that wouldnt move with a trailer connected.They had changed hand valve,trailer control valve and circuit protection valve over the weekend.Went outside and saw yellow air line kinked.Changed line and all was fine but they still charged for the valves they had changed.
Main agents know f all but feed you crap all day long.
As for your problem check compressor head gasket

If it was the compressor head gasket more than likely the coolant system would be being pressurised by the compressor or the drier would have crapped itself by now. More likely going out the exhaust if no evidence of coolant leak anywhere, think this is a known issue on MAN, as a couple of people have mentioned - though seemingly not to their ■■■■ poor dealer network.

Own Account Driver:
If it was the compressor head gasket more than likely the coolant system would be being pressurised by the compressor or the drier would have crapped itself by now. More likely going out the exhaust if no evidence of coolant leak anywhere, think this is a known issue on MAN, as a couple of people have mentioned - though seemingly not to their ■■■■ poor dealer network.

No because they have a 2 piece compressor head(wabco) and the coolant is isolated from the pressure elements but can still leak into the induction tract.Absolute crap compressor and does not have govenor or air drier link pipe control,uses back feed pressure to control flap valves.

Another possible fault is the pressure cap to the rear of the header tank(not the filler cap) as sometimes the valve sticks and the over pressure pumps out coolant as the pressure rises.

These are Merc faults but MAN are just a cheap version of the same truck. :laughing:

I can concur that certain batches of trucks made at specific times, had their engines ran too hot while testing them at the factory in Germany.
We have had the same problem with engines and water loss then they breakdown with the oil pressure problems.
MAN are aware of it.

Sounds like the EGR cooler to me, any other coolant loss will leave a trace, if it’s injector cups you’ll see diesel in the oil, compressor or head gasket/cracked head and you’ll have pressure in the cooling system, an EGR cooler will blow it straight out the exhaust.

Also check for split in coolant tank around the seam. Seen this on an 11 plate TGX. Only leaks under pressure as steam so very little evidence.

When I was with my previous company we had 15 tgx`s, all used more water than diesel. It will be as all the others have said the egr valve. Have a look in the passenger side mirror when first setting of in the morning, will probably look like a steam train going down the road.

dowahdiddyman:
When I was with my previous company we had 15 tgx`s, all used more water than diesel. It will be as all the others have said the egr valve. Have a look in the passenger side mirror when first setting of in the morning, will probably look like a steam train going down the road.

The 60 plate TGX I use with 392k on clock did that on Thursday, it’s using 10+ litres of coolent per day!!!

box of matches might fix it :wink: just saying

nick2008:

Lol, the water will probably put it out.

martinviking:

nick2008:

Lol, the water will probably put it out.

That’s right P on my fire why don’t you :grimacing: :grimacing:

Tiddyrobbo:

dowahdiddyman:

The 60 plate TGX I use with 392k on clock did that on Thursday, it’s using 10+ litres of coolent per day!!!

Thats just like mine did, turned out it was big job, off the road for 3 days. Mine was using more than that, approx 3-4 gallons a a day,gaffer said let it develop` so I did,straight to our service dealer.

Bking:

Own Account Driver:

No because they have a 2 piece compressor head(wabco) and the coolant is isolated from the pressure elements but can still leak into the induction tract.Absolute crap compressor and does not have govenor or air drier link pipe control,uses back feed pressure to control flap valves.

In that case, which I’m not necessarily convinced of as Wabco still have pressurising coolant system in their fault finding guide. It’s still either going to cause problems in the drier or there would be obvious steam and coolant loss visible from the compressor and the same with header tank overflow - Merc don’t share a lot that I’ve noticed with MAN really.

If its an EGR leak, the exhaust emits steam as it warms up after a cold start, lots of steam, you may loose your trailer for a minute or two in a cloud of steam!
If its an HPI failure (High Pressure Intercooler, hangs under the engine, in front of the sump), just after staring the engine you can hear running water at the back of the dashboard. This failure over-pressurizes the cooling system resulting in coolant being forced out of the header tank relief valve, you can smell antifreeze and see the odd wisp of steam as coolant runs down the front of the radiator and blows back onto the hot engine. That’s assuming there’s any antifreeze left in the system, what with having to put 10-15 litres in per day.