Texting lorry driver jailed after crashing into van on A27

yourhavingalarf:
Along with…

Tomasz Kroker, this idiot will be the reason in-cab driver facing cameras become law.

I weep for the future.

Shock horror an EE who would have believed it !!

Wheel Nut:
Although it is not illegal to eat or drink behind the wheel, it can be used to do you for Careless Driving or DWDC. It is illegal to text and drive without a seatbelt and this bloke was rightly caught.

He should have been jailed for chucking the banana skin out of the window.

Perhaps he was so engrossed with playing Mario Cart on his phone he thought he could knock on of the other drivers of the track?

ytrehodluap:

Wheel Nut:
Although it is not illegal to eat or drink behind the wheel, it can be used to do you for Careless Driving or DWDC. It is illegal to text and drive without a seatbelt and this bloke was rightly caught.

He should have been jailed for chucking the banana skin out of the window.

Perhaps he was so engrossed with playing Mario Cart on his phone he thought he could knock on of the other drivers of the track?

And thought the van was one of those mystery object things like three red shells?

Bigtruck3:
Any driver who drives a truck with an in cab camera does not have any respect for themselves it’s either that or they are just thankful to have a job and can’t get one elsewhere
It’s the lowest of lowest, it’s worse than having a camera in a public toilet, I could live with that
All this [zb] about it’s for safety and your benefit is a load of [zb], if that’s the case put them all around the whole truck
It’s to watch you, we all text, we all use the phone, we all eat, we all drink water, we all pick our nose, we all scratch our arse,
It’s for there benefit no one’s else, so unless you got a big increase or a yearly bonus or a big huge lump sum,
You are under the tum and always will be, and don’t get me wrong the business needs people like you to fill positions that are hard to fill because no descent respectable person would put up with it

What do you mean,we all text?
Thats out of the question for me,texting while driving a lorry.Theres so many cameras now,eating,drinking,I dont do that,the lisence is too valuable to me,I cang do anything else,and besides,if youre texting,you put other road users at risk

A Dutch driver was unaware the police helicopter was filming him after numerous reports of weaving all over the place, he actually crashed and was cooking a Spaghetti Bolognese with the camping gas cooker in between his legs .
And without offending anyone, a driver was caught pleasuring himself while driving resulting in a crash.

Monsterbrown:
Another great ambassador for his trade.

For those who are anti camera, you might ponder why companies put them in. To catch drivers out? I don’t think so - if they were that interested they wouldn’t employ muppets like this guy.

No the reason for cameras is that they save money for the company. Typical scenario - car driver says lorry drove into me, I want a million pounds. Video shows car drove into lorry, case closed.

And that’s on average, including the knob gobblers such as we are discussing. If you’re the type of driver who generally is doing the right thing the camera is far more likely to save your reputation than the reverse.

Event triggered cameras are the way to go, if used sensibly. I dare say this guy had near misses before which could have been picked up - it’s a disgrace that these prats get away with it.

Don’t want to reveal how I know but this chap had driven like this for a long time, texting, chucking rubbish out of cab windows and having a general bad attitude, like the driving was getting in the way of his social life.

Absolute disgrace to the profession, other drivers complained about him and Days did nothing so obviously they didn’t check the cameras as OP has said, only reviewed after ‘an event’!

Doubt he’ll ever get his licence back, hopefully!!

Tarmaceater:
A Dutch driver was unaware the police helicopter was filming him after numerous reports of weaving all over the place, he actually crashed and was cooking a Spaghetti Bolognese with the camping gas cooker in between his legs .
And without offending anyone, a driver was caught pleasuring himself while driving resulting in a crash.

yeah yeah yeah

Just remember that although thin on the ground, there are female drivers out there too, that wouldn’t relish their sleeping quarters having a camera pointing at them.

On second thoughts though, I guess it would be fun watching the mutt from the traffic office, having to sign the ■■■ offenders register, for voyeurism…

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

yeah yeah yeah

Rob,
The above is true as it is an extract from an Enid Blyton novel ‘The Famous Five go trucking’

pete smith:

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

yeah yeah yeah

Rob,
The above is true as it is an extract from an Enid Blyton novel ‘The Famous Five go trucking’

Ah I see your a follower of the fantasist as well, come to think of it there’s quite a few novels of said person on lots of threads

robthedog:

pete smith:

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

yeah yeah yeah

Rob,

Ah I see your a follower of the fantasist as well, come to think of it there’s quite a few novels of said person on lots of threads

Yes, correct there Rob, CF’s replacement perhaps?

robthedog:

Tarmaceater:

yeah yeah yeah

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … roads.html

to be fair, at least he ate a Banana which is full of Potassium, Fibre and Vitamins so it’ll keep him alert. Unlike all those truck stop Burger ‘n’ Chips that makes you feel snoozy 15 minutes up the road :smiley:

HGV driver ‘continued phone call after killing biker in road crash’ dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … e-masthead

Sorry to quote from the Mail, but needs must. We all drive. Is anybody going to argue the case for this drivers innocence?
Thick as mince driver thinks its okay and legal to cross double white lines and force oncoming traffic to take avoiding action, all whilst chatting on the phone.
Drivers need to be monitored. Poor lad on motorbike is dead. Toerag is trying to lie his way out of resposibility for his death. The lads poor family will have to endure the rats lame excuses, whilst a camera would instantly show his culpability.
I know its not the consensus view, and its up to me what goes in my truck, but I have no problem with camera in cab. If you do your job properly, the odds are that it will more likely save your reputation, rather than damage it.
Rats like the one from the Mail story should not be allowed to get away with the carnage they are causing every day on our roads.

He says he wasnt involved in the accident.Hf deserves a fair trial.He could have ran into the back of tgd vauxhall because the vauxhall driver overreacted and the motorcyclist might have been too close.You are allowed to cross the double whites to overtake a slow moving cyclist so long as its safe.But we arent the judges,thats for the courts who have all the evidence and hopefully administer justice as necesary

Janos:
HGV driver ‘continued phone call after killing biker in road crash’ dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … e-masthead

Sorry to quote from the Mail, but needs must. We all drive. Is anybody going to argue the case for this drivers innocence?
Thick as mince driver thinks its okay and legal to cross double white lines and force oncoming traffic to take avoiding action, all whilst chatting on the phone.
Drivers need to be monitored. Poor lad on motorbike is dead. Toerag is trying to lie his way out of resposibility for his death. The lads poor family will have to endure the rats lame excuses, whilst a camera would instantly show his culpability.
I know its not the consensus view, and its up to me what goes in my truck, but I have no problem with camera in cab. If you do your job properly, the odds are that it will more likely save your reputation, rather than damage it.
Rats like the one from the Mail story should not be allowed to get away with the carnage they are causing every day on our roads.

Sorry mate you are talking complete ■■■■■■■■ on this.
You quote an isolated and thankfully uncommon type case.
The answer is not to let these f/whits within 20 yards of a big truck, let alone the driving seat in one.
Heighten the desired calibre and criteria in becoming a driver of a large truck, stop handing out licences like confetti to knobheads who should never hold one, .address the problem at grass roots level… in training :bulb:

And speaking for experienced, competent and responsible drivers everywhere who do not drive trucks like cars, and do not need to be constantly monitored for whatever reason (I’ll take my own chances in trying to prove innocence thanks all the same) … .
You are welcome to an in cab camera if you so desire, but shove the others right up your arse.
Cheers.

Sploom:
He says he wasnt involved in the accident.Hf deserves a fair trial.He could have ran into the back of tgd vauxhall because the vauxhall driver overreacted and the motorcyclist might have been too close.You are allowed to cross the double whites to overtake a slow moving cyclist so long as its safe.But we arent the judges,thats for the courts who have all the evidence and hopefully administer justice as necesary

The motorcyclists head left marks on the trucks wheels.
I tend to notice when somebody has their head in the vicinity of my truck.
It may be okay to overtake at less than 10mph, it does not mean you can force other traffic to brake.
Do you think it is a reasonable defence to say the car driver over reacted and so caused the death of the motorcyclist?

robroy:

Janos:

The answer is not to let these f/whits within 20 yards of a big truck, let alone the driving seat in one.
Heighten the desired calibre and criteria in becoming a driver of a large truck, stop handing out licences like confetti to knobheads who should never hold one, .address the problem at grass roots level… in training :bulb:

And speaking for experienced, competent and responsible drivers everywhere who do not drive trucks like cars, and do not need to be constantly monitored for whatever reason (I’ll take my own chances in trying to prove innocence thanks all the same) … .
You are welcome to an in cab camera if you so desire, but shove the others right up your arse.
Cheers.

I don’t need to tell you where you can shove your luddite attitude. Cheers.
Same attitude when tachos came out I’ll bet.

Janos:

Sploom:

The motorcyclists head left marks on the trucks wheels.
I tend to notice when somebody has their head in the vicinity of my truck.
It may be okay to overtake at less than 10mph, it does not mean you can force other traffic to brake.
Do you think it is a reasonable defence to say the car driver over reacted and so caused the death of the motorcyclist?

Yes,its a reasonable defence,the motorcyclist maybe shouldnt have been driving so close and the lorry driver may have left room for the car to get through but the car never took the space,but again,its not fair for us to speculate,let the driver have a fair trial in court.

Janos:

robroy:

Janos:

Cheers.

I don’t need to tell you where you can shove your luddite attitude. Cheers.
Same attitude when tachos came out I’ll bet.

Come on mate I expected better from you than that. :unamused:
I ain’t coming at it from a luddite perspective whatsoever, it goes well beyond that… but you already know that don’t you.

You can accuse me of that concerning stuff like Actros camera mirrors and crap like that, but this is something ENTIRELY different that crosses many lines.