Texting and driving

Last night I saw a fellow so-called professional driver watching Eastenders as he drove through the fog on the M62. It took me fifteen minutes and about eighteen miles to overtake him so I got to watch half of it too, but without the sound.

It got me thinking. How do you stay in lane when your attention is on more important things like watching the telly or sending a text? Whenever I try and update my Facebook status, I end up drifting into the hard shoulder or into lane two. Sometimes a car will flash and beep at me and I lose concentration and have to start all over again.

Any advice?

SmashedCrabFace:
Last night I saw a fellow so-called professional driver watching Eastenders as he drove through the fog on the M62. It took me fifteen minutes and about eighteen miles to overtake him so I got to watch half of it too, but without the sound.

It got me thinking. How do you stay in lane when your attention is on more important things like watching the telly or sending a text? Whenever I try and update my Facebook status, I end up drifting into the hard shoulder or into lane two. Sometimes a car will flash and beep at me and I lose concentration and have to start all over again.

Any advice?

I hope your having a laugh, but if not,
My advice is get a job that dos’nt involve driving if your serious, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pffffftttt a so called professional driver that can’t update his Facebook status and drive? Good lord man by now you should be able to update various social networks, take and upload pics and send texts while talking on the phone. Well I can anyhow.

I know how French do it but I will keep it secret :smiley:

You need to get some LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) in your cab boy, it works a treat when watching movies on the go :wink:

205:
You need to get some LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) in your cab boy, it works a treat when watching movies on the go :wink:

He works for Taylors he’d be lucky if he got a wagon that everything actually works :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

SmashedCrabFace:
It got me thinking. How do you stay in lane when your attention is on more important things like watching the telly or sending a text?
Any advice?

One of the best ways is to drive no more than eight feet from the back of the truck in front and set your cruise control.
This way, it doesn’t matter what the weather is doing as the driver in front is seeing for you and you can easily tell when you are drifting to one side or the other when daylight(daytime) or dark (night) appears in your windscreen.
He may well be doing the same, so you know there will be no sudden changes of speed or direction.

This works best at night in thick fog and rain and leaves you free to concentrate on the film/TV/I phone/newspaper/cooking or what ever else you wish to do that driving the truck would distract you from.

Regards,
Nick. :wink:

Simply drive up the arse of the wagon in front. Ram your bumper onto his t-bar, and let him drag you. Result…Both hands off the wheel, text away, and knock up a brew. :wink:

switchlogic:
Pffffftttt a so called professional driver that can’t update his Facebook status and drive? Good lord man by now you should be able to update various social networks, take and upload pics and send texts while talking on the phone. Well I can anyhow.

Tut tut will you not think of the children. Did Diana die for nothing :smiley:

But to be fair you do have your faithful man servant Bertie to help.

Was that you and Bertie on the m25 near the m3 yesterday about 3 pm

stick your knees up under the steering wheel then you have both hand free :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I find the easiest and safest way to update fb twitter and trucknet is to drive with the n/s wheels on the rumble strips that way I know exactly where I am on the road without the need to look.
As a bonus this also heightens the pleasure when I’m knocking one off.

get a phone that can do speech to text. sometimes it doesnt always work properly but it does the job.

Mr B:
I find the easiest and safest way to update fb twitter and trucknet is to drive with the n/s wheels on the rumble strips that way I know exactly where I am on the road without the need to look.
As a bonus this also heightens the pleasure when I’m knocking one off.

ridiculous. imagine chugging and driving, there should be a law against it. hopefully you won’t be thinking of the children while knocking one out though?

i personally have learnt to drive very well using my feet, this of course enables me to have two free hands to text, tweet and occasionally relieve myself during long boring journeys :laughing:

and there was me thinking he did well to get a tele signal whilst driving on the M62. was he holding the ariel out the window.updating facebook is easy whilst driving , its spilling my special brew whulst doing it i have trouble with.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

jonboy

Pffft, If you drift on to the hard shoulder whilst updating facebook perhaps you should get another job such as shelf stacking or working the night shift at a petrol station. It’s better money anyway apparently.

Listen, drive. If you can’t update facebook, brew a cuppa and have a shave all at the same time without keeping a steady course you ain’t even a man.

You can text or update facebook with your voice with the new Iphone. Easy !!

dar1976:
You can text or update facebook with your voice with the new Iphone. Easy !!

I only have an old iPhone 4 and I’m still paying the mortgage off on it. I can shout at it to play a song or call someone but it usually gets it wrong.

Thanks for the advice everybody! Some of your tips I’m going to try out later on the Humber Bridge.
The problem is not how many hands I’ve got free though (I’m only 26 so I can hold and operate a mobile with the same one hand). The problem is where my eyes are looking. If I hold the phone infront of my face I can concentrate on writing a text and still be able to vaguely see the road. Usually some do-gooder in a car or another so-called professional driver will see it though and beep and flash and make hand gestures until I put it down. If I hold it below the window line, I can update my Facebook without the nosey ■■■■■■■■ seeing it, but then I can’t see the road!

Is there a way to make one eye look at the phone and the other eye at the road, a bit like the picture of my face?

Sounds like you need a lazy eye or some chameleon genes

get yourself a pair of these,
that way you can look from a glance like the professional driver you are, observing the road, when in reality your looking down between your legs while you update facebook!..

please dont thank me, being a genius just comes natural to me…