Testing testing . . . m62

Testing of the new managed motorway section of the M62 will be carried
out this week from Tuesday 14th May until Sunday 19th May 2013.

Tests will be carried out in both directions between Junction 27 and
28 during peak times.

New systems will be in place between junctions 25 and 30 later this year.

Speed limits will be subject to change to help the flow of traffic but
the maximum of 50 mph will remain for safety reasons until further
sections of the motorway become operational.

Hopefully this will delay your own funeral.

It’s not far off being finished, as most of the cones have gone, and the motorway was shut in sections on Saturday, while they did a spot of blacktop work, and whitelining.

And when all that’s finished, they’ll be starting on the M1 between J39 and the M62. Deep joy.

Ken.

At least they`ve opened up lane 1 on the eastbound at the M621 split, making it 3 lanes, removing the risk of people finding themselves stuck in the wrong lane and cutting across at the last moment to re-join the M62

you will still get only about 10% of drivers useing the old hard shoulder and they will probably have the speed limit set to 40-50mph at 4:00/5:00AM like they do sometimes on the M42 when there is f–k all on the road and no accidents! :unamused: think they do it just to try to get some revenue out of us when they are a bit skint :confused:

Yeah #tossers

I still think that an increased 56mph speed limit would REDUCE collisions
and near misses at and around motorway roadworks & managed motorways.

It is always safer when Large Goods Vehicles are able to maintain
their course and speed and the correct distance from the vehicle in front.

Dieseldoforme:
I still think that an increased 56mph speed limit would REDUCE collisions
and near misses at and around motorway roadworks & managed motorways.

It is always safer when Large Goods Vehicles are able to maintain
their course and speed and the correct distance from the vehicle in front.

I agree, especially if you think about all the motorists who seem to enjoy donkeying about 56 too.

BTW why is it that some motorists stick rigidly to 50 in the roadworks, but in lane 2? Are they just frustrated traffic cops who want to teach us all a ‘lesson’?

W

AlexWignall:
BTW why is it that some motorists stick rigidly to 50 in the
roadworks, but in lane 2? Are they just frustrated traffic
cops who want to teach us all a ‘lesson’?

Yes - they are part the unpaid law enforcement society.

…and their cars are automatically triggered to accelerate as soon as
the “back to 70 signs” are situated at 90 degrees to their radiator.

Dieseldoforme:
PS… STOP SPEEDING.
It is recorded on your tacho/digicard and it can be used
against you in the event of a future motoring court
appearance. Because you got away with it today doesn’t
mean that you will get away with it in three months time.
Past speeding WILL be investigated by VOSA as part of your
general driving conduct if VOSA feel the need for this evidence
and they could throw the book at you.

How does that work three months down the line then? Given that most trucks are limited to 56mph and the max speed limit is 60 mph, and increasingly as time passes analogue tachos disappear, how exactly do VOSA/police investigate past driving conduct?

the maoster:

Dieseldoforme:
PS… STOP SPEEDING.

How does that work three months down the line then? Given that most trucks are limited to 56mph and the max speed limit is 60 mph, and increasingly as time passes analogue tachos disappear, how exactly do VOSA/police investigate past driving conduct?

Even though the speed limt on moterways for a truck is 60mph as the truck is limited to 56mph that is the speed you are allowed to do,anything over that and you are actually speeding as the max speed the truck is allowed to go is being broken. Saying that though I regularly go over it especially when I’m going down the hill at Stainforth Cafe on the A66 and I’m carrying 28 tonne of glass because if I’m on the brakes all way down there I’m going to melt the linings and the exhaust brake on the Mercs are absolutely ■■■■■■ :unamused:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

the maoster:

Dieseldoforme:
PS… STOP SPEEDING.

Even though the speed limt on moterways for a truck is 60mph as the truck is limited to 56mph that is the speed you are allowed to do,anything over that and you are actually speeding as the max speed the truck is allowed to go is being broken. Saying that though I regularly go over it especially when I’m going down the hill at Stainforth Cafe on the A66 and I’m carrying 28 tonne of glass because if I’m on the brakes all way down there I’m going to melt the linings and the exhaust brake on the Mercs are absolutely [zb]! :unamused:

■■■■■■■■. The speed limit is 60 and you can’t be prosecuted for doing less. You may get grief from your employer but that’s another matter.

Saying that you will “melt the linings of your brakes” is just stupid. What would happen if you needed to stop on the way down to avoid an accident?

Repeat

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

the maoster:

Dieseldoforme:
PS… STOP SPEEDING.

Even though the speed limt on moterways for a truck is 60mph as the truck is limited to 56mph that is the speed you are allowed to do,anything over that and you are actually speeding as the max speed the truck is allowed to go is being broken. Saying that though I regularly go over it especially when I’m going down the hill at Stainforth Cafe on the A66 and I’m carrying 28 tonne of glass because if I’m on the brakes all way down there I’m going to melt the linings and the exhaust brake on the Mercs are absolutely [zb]! :unamused:

No you can travel at 60 on overrun etc. 56 is the maximum speed the vehicle can be powered to.

Dieseldoforme:

the maoster:
How does that work three months down the line then ?

Given that most trucks are limited to 56mph and the max
speed limit is 60 mph, how exactly do VOSA/Police investigate
past driving conduct?

If it were suspected that you may have caused death by dangerous driving,
and possibly involving excessive speed, they would go through your driving
records with a dose of salts and a fine toothed comb. A case would be made
to the Judge that you drive recklessly on a regular basis. No doubt the
Honorable Judge would then stuff a bit of extra bird up your ■■■■.

Your digicard is downloaded by Law. Records are kept.

Your vehicle unit is downloaded by Law. Records are kept.

Your position and route can be determined by other means, they
could virtually pinpoint your position at any given time. Is there a
tracker device on your cab ? A cab fone ? Your mobile fone ?
There are professional Police analysts that scrutinize all your recordings.
For example, you could have been doing 50 when there are only 30mph
roads in the area, they could prove that.

Most trucks that I have driven would exceed 60mph if I wanted
them to - downhill and loaded.

My advice would be, if you’re gonna kill someone with your waggon,
make sure you’ve been driving by the book in recent times.

Speed isn’t recorded on the digi card.

Santa:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

the maoster:

Dieseldoforme:
PS… STOP SPEEDING.

■■■■■■■■. The speed limit is 60 and you can’t be prosecuted for doing less. You may get grief from your employer but that’s another matter.

Saying that you will “melt the linings of your brakes” is just stupid. What would happen if you needed to stop on the way down to avoid an accident?

So you know more than VOSA do you■■? I was told this from a VOSA fella on the VOSA stall at Truckfest but I’ll take your expert opinion on it :unamused: and I don’t understand your 2nd sentence. I’ve been down that hill trying to keep at least under 60mph and there was smoke coming from the brake chambers halfway down.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Santa:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

So you know more than VOSA do you■■? I was told this from a VOSA fella on the VOSA stall at Truckfest but I’ll take your expert opinion on it :unamused: and I don’t understand your 2nd sentence. I’ve been down that hill trying to keep at least under 60mph and there was smoke coming from the brake chambers halfway down.

Which rock are you from then? How can you be prosecuted for doing less than the speed limit? 56mph is the powered limit. I.e. the limiter must be set for that. However the speed limit on a motorway is 60. Therefore, downhills etc you can roll on to 60.

If you struggle to keep under 60, try slowing down before the top of the hill and don’t just keep the brakes on all the way down, slow down to say 40, then roll back up to 50, then back down to 40, gives the heat a chance to dissipate.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

TBH Steve, some of the more junior staff at VOSA have little more idea of the rules than the contributors on TNUK. If you find yourself in conflict with an examiner who seems slightly unsure, make sure you (politely) ask to speak to someone in charge.

As far as over heating your brake discs or drums (not chambers) going down hill…
I was taught that you should go down a hill as fast as you go up it. Even now in the days of disc brakes, EBS and +400bhp motors it’s a bit of advice that works for me.

Finally, modern lorries are required to have a working speed limiter that restricts the vehicles speed to 90kph. That might be where your VOSA man got confused. The speed limit for lorries is still 60mph but don’t believe me, check your Highway Code.

I’m sorry that other contributors feel the need to try and put you ‘right’ in such an aggressive manner it doesn’t help any of us but then again, it does liven up the forum…
W

Seany:
Speed isn’t recorded on the digi card.

After I download my digi card, how do Tachomaster get
the information to issue me with a “Notification of Infringements”
like the one I am looking at right now ?

Amongst many other things :
It gives my average speed for every shift worked.
It gives my maximum speed for every shift worked.
It gives the duration if the speed ever exceeds 95km/hr.
It gives the average speed during that same duration.

the maoster:
Given that most trucks are limited to 56mph and the max speed limit is 60 mph

No they aren’t, most are limited to 52mph these days…

Dieseldoforme:
PS… STOP SPEEDING.

This is the biggest load of ■■■■■■■■ I have ever heard.

If you speed, you CAN NOT be prosecuted 3 months later…

The driver card does not store any Speeds or over-speeds

VU’s record speed every second driven, but this is overwritten after 24 hours of DRIVING.

Operators have to download the VU every 56 days I believe, there is NO REQUIREMENT to download the vehicle speeds (ALL VU) and normally a download would not include a speed trace

How can VOSA pull this information from the VU 3 months later?