Testing testing . . . m62

Pimpdaddy:

the maoster:
Given that most trucks are limited to 56mph and the max speed limit is 60 mph

No they aren’t, most are limited to 52mph these days…

Most trucks I have driven are limited to 90k - that is the maximum speed set by law (56MPH)

Either way - the speed limit on motorways is 60mph

I meant in general, not the ones you’ve driven…lol

Pimpdaddy:
I meant in general, not the ones you’ve driven…lol

To be fair, I would say most are limited to 90k except from Scania’s limited to 89k

Tosco, Morrisons, Sainsburys and a few others limit to 50mph

By default all HGV’s are limited to 90/89 unless specified by the customer

Are you guys all typing from the same RDC waiting room? Carryfast excluded, I’ve never read so much bollox in one single thread.

It’s not bollox. I can name a hundred firms I can see in the motorway that I know for sure I’m going to overtake, very few I can’t & I’m not even Irish…

Pimpdaddy:
It’s not bollox. I can name a hundred firms I can see in the motorway that I know for sure I’m going to overtake, very few I can’t & I’m not even Irish…

go on then…

1. Tosco
  2. Sainsburys

Carry on

BTW we are talking about limited to the lower speed rather than out of calibration

Yes we are…
Bibby
DHL
Wincanton
Asda
Morrison
TNT/ceva
Ken mallinson
Canute
Bretts
Turners soham
I’m getting tired of typing here…

[/quote]
No they aren’t, most are limited to 52mph these days…
[/quote]
Agree with this I’ve been 52mph for a while now, lower mpg has become more important that travel time.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Saying that though I regularly go over it especially when I’m going down the hill at Stainforth Cafe on the A66 and I’m carrying 28 tonne of glass because if I’m on the brakes all way down there I’m going to melt the linings and the exhaust brake on the Mercs are absolutely [zb]! :unamused:

Steve, there’s a secret 3rd stage exhaust brake that not many know about. (Well there was in my MP2 so it’s probably in the new ones as well). When you start going down the hill and the speed creeps up, just as the engine brake cuts in drop down to 7H. Keep the cruise on tho. The rev counter shoots up and you think my god a bloody piston’s gonna come through the floor now, but fret not, the 3rd stage cuts in just before the needle goes into the red. It’ll hold 44t at 58mph down Windy hill no problem. This was information from Merc themselves.

If you want to go slower set your cruise to a lower speed and use an appropriate lower gear.

If they put more than an old man and a dog on the job at a time the whole thing would have been finished last year. The lanes are not reduced in width so WHY have a 50 limit…the muppets are in charge

Pimpdaddy:
Yes we are…
Bibby
DHL
Wincanton
Asda
Morrison
TNT/ceva
Ken mallinson
Canute
Bretts
Turners soham
I’m getting tired of typing here…

Most of which are limited to 52/53 anyway… I choose to sit at 52 as it makes next to no difference in journey time, but saves a decent amount of fuel and most importantly it reduces stress levels as ive got a good few clicks to spare…

Dieseldoforme:

Seany:
Speed isn’t recorded on the digi card.

After I download my digi card, how do Tachomaster get
the information to issue me with a “Notification of Infringements”
like the one I am looking at right now ?

Amongst many other things :
It gives my average speed for every shift worked.
It gives my maximum speed for every shift worked.
It gives the duration if the speed ever exceeds 95km/hr.
It gives the average speed during that same duration.

All they do is compute your AVERAGE speed from the time taken to do the distance covered.

I reckon these managed motorways are a load of bollox…

all this"lane 1 for j6 only" crap,just over complicates things.
the reason nobody uses the hardshoulder,is because as soon as your in…youve got to move out again.and theres always somebody at your side,so you have to slow down…or somebody in lane 2 has to slow down to let you out.one of the most risky manoeuvres on a motorway, is lane changing…but managed motorways encourage more of it :unamused:

the simpler,the better in my book.

just run the hard shoulder as a perminant lane one,with one sign above it,saying either yes or no,instead of this faster-slower-faster…j5 only bollox.

It seems silly indeed^^^^^^

Saaamon:
I choose to sit at 52 as it makes next to no difference in journey time, but saves a decent amount of fuel and most importantly it reduces stress levels as ive got a good few clicks to spare…

I’ll never understand this, I get stressed by doing less than the limiter, I get stressed by being on the road longer than I need to be-is a stressed driver a safe driver…?

Pimpdaddy:
It seems silly indeed^^^^^^

Saaamon:
I choose to sit at 52 as it makes next to no difference in journey time, but saves a decent amount of fuel and most importantly it reduces stress levels as ive got a good few clicks to spare…

I’ll never understand this, I get stressed by doing less than the limiter, I get stressed by being on the road longer than I need to be-is a stressed driver a safe driver…?

Do you actually get stressed by running at less than the limiter? I find the opposite is true for me.

What do you do when you eventually catch a vehicle travelling a fraction slower than you? Do you ease off and get stressed, or do you start to overtake and stress yourself and others for the next 10 minutes?

I personally travel at 3 or 4 kph under the limiter 'cos I find it’s most stress free to have a little “wiggle room” to play with should I decide to overtake.

Not saying that my way is better than yours or vice versa, it’s horses for courses I suppose.

Yeah I suppose but genuinely it does stress me big time. I wouldn’t attempt to overtake something I can clearly see would take a long time to get around. I try my best not to stress others whilst driving-every action has an equal & opposite reaction…

Right lets sort out some of the bollox being spouted on here.

1. Digicards record overspeeds on the card. Have a look on your next printout or through the display. Iirc the 2 fastest & the 2 longest ever recorded on that card and the most recent 5.
  2. Trucks must not be capable of being powered oveer 90 kmh. That is not the same as the 60 mph speed limit on motorways which on the overrun is attainable and very very legal.
  3. You can be prosecuted up to 6 months after a speeding offense. However tacho evidence cannot be the sole evidence for a speeding offense. In fact for any speeding offense there has to be corroborative evidence.
  4. The max speed limit on the A66 for a truck is 50 mph :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. Digicards record speed for the last 24 hours of driving. Do a V trace printout with a 1.4 vdo if you don’t believe me.
  6. Windy hill or Stainmore, if you know how to drive properly you don’t need to touch the service brakes on the way down fully freighted. Surely, as a relative newbie in the bendy world, if I’ve worked out how to do it…

DaiDap:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Saying that though I regularly go over it especially when I’m going down the hill at Stainforth Cafe on the A66 and I’m carrying 28 tonne of glass because if I’m on the brakes all way down there I’m going to melt the linings and the exhaust brake on the Mercs are absolutely [zb]! :unamused:

Steve, there’s a secret 3rd stage exhaust brake that not many know about. (Well there was in my MP2 so it’s probably in the new ones as well). When you start going down the hill and the speed creeps up, just as the engine brake cuts in drop down to 7H. Keep the cruise on tho. The rev counter shoots up and you think my god a bloody piston’s gonna come through the floor now, but fret not, the 3rd stage cuts in just before the needle goes into the red. It’ll hold 44t at 58mph down Windy hill no problem. This was information from Merc themselves.

If you want to go slower set your cruise to a lower speed and use an appropriate lower gear.

Never heard of that secret 3rd stage, but having driven Mercs for years an observation is that the exhaust brake works its best at the designed revs, i.e. just before the red. Isn’t it blue lined? It is on some trucks.

As for SBT getting the brakes smoking; obviously relying on the brakes far too much.
(wouldn’t like to be riding shotgun with you coming down from say the Mont Blanc tunnel through the Alps between France & Italy).
Get the exhaust brake on, the gears down & revs up. Just as the revs are about to move into the red, use the service brake briefly to reduce the speed by 10 - 15 (even 20)mph, then let the Ex Br do its job again.

Never tried it without the cruise on so I don’t know about it cutting in at that higher revs. With the cruise the electronics will just not let it go into the red and it’s quite powerful. In 7h, 58mph is at the top of the blue and it’ll hold you there at 44t no problem. My mp2 had an analogue tacho so overspeeds weren’t an issue. As I said, if you want to go slower set your cruise lower and use an appropriate lower gear.

As for Mont Blanc, I’ve never taken a Merc down there but I have taken a 40t Volvo and I’d agree with your way of doing it.

MADBAZ:
Right lets sort out some of the bollox being spouted on here.

1. Digicards record over speeds on the card. Have a look on your next printout or through the display. Iirc the 2 fastest & the 2 longest ever recorded on that card and the most recent 5.
  2. Trucks must not be capable of being powered oveer 90 kmh. That is not the same as the 60 mph speed limit on motorways which on the overrun is attainable and very very legal.
  3. You can be prosecuted up to 6 months after a speeding offense. However tacho evidence cannot be the sole evidence for a speeding offense. In fact for any speeding offense there has to be corroborative evidence.
  4. The max speed limit on the A66 for a truck is 50 mph :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. Digicards record speed for the last 24 hours of driving. Do a V trace printout with a 1.4 vdo if you don’t believe me.
  6. Windy hill or Stainmore, if you know how to drive properly you don’t need to touch the service brakes on the way down fully freighted. Surely, as a relative newbie in the bendy world, if I’ve worked out how to do it…

hi i am new to this trucking game so please be gentle :slight_smile: on a recent trip to Scotland my taco kept saying over speeding my cruise was set at 89kl but on the down hills it crept up to 58 mph i never went over 60mph will this show up as a speeding infringement ? why does it say over speeding ? thought the limit was 60mph ? thanks ,rob