Tesco Under Investigation

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … s-law.html

at last, something might get done about tesco RDC’s being (zb) with drivers!

language edit nice try :wink: mm

About time too one of the main reasons i wont drive for a local comapny is tesco deliveries i dont want to be sat in their places for hours on end.

ASDA tried to move me one night, I told them to ■■■■ off, and didnt move, they banned me from the site the following morning, I was so upset I asked if they could ban me from the whole group, ■■■■■■■■

Excellent, I imagine a lot of drivers would change their tune about Beverley Bell if she got Tesco RDC’s to change their policies!!

Alex

And while there at it, get them to change there policy of drivers sitting in the waiting room, it makes me mad :imp:

Why can’t we just drop the trailers :unamused:

Scarab:
Excellent, I imagine a lot of drivers would change their tune about Beverley Bell if she got Tesco RDC’s to change their policies!!

Alex

i guess we will have to wait and see.

tescos, or any other supermarket, dont like negative publicity so if the sun or some other daily gets hold of the story and shakes it round a bit they might change thier tune towards drivers at all the RDC’s?

we can live in hope :laughing:

wheres scanny77, he does work for an agency from the livingston rdc for tesco so he will porb know better than most folk about this.

I know we aint allowed to mention companies, but this article reminds me of a story i heard.

Lets just say a big Supermarket RDC located next to the M8 motorway in between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Company i know based primary from Northern Ireland, a driver was telling me he was tipping there, after he tipped would be time up, so would park outside along the road.

The security guards were going out on to the road and taking down registrations and marking the tyres with chalk i think so see if they moved before their breaks were over they could report them.

Sometimes the runs were different, so maybe running straight to this RDC, getting tipped sitting at maybe 6 hours on the clock, got a pickup another place near by but later on, so maybe have a sleep for a few hours. These guys musta gotten their registrations taken and tyres chalked because when they drove off, they would get pulled by the police.

One driver was in his cab noticed someone outside, security guard marking his tyres, driver went mental big argument, police were called. That night supposedly someone high up in the police force for that area was out on patrol. This guy liked to go out sometimes see how things were running and it was him who responded.

Turns out security guard was under instructions from manager in the RDC depot, it also turns out the same police officer was receiving these tip off’s was related to the manager. Police chief guy went mental, charged those involved with chalking the truck tyres with some offence think it was vandelism, some type of damage anyways and got senior management involved over this. The police officer receving these tips to make his record supposedly got kicked out the police because wasnt the first time he had been caught doing dodgy stuff.

The one or two drivers who had been caught by this guy doing naughty things had their cases thrown out.

The RDC at Purfleet is the worst I have been to. The staff on the desks are just about the rudest and most ignorant customer facing staff I have ever met. Loads of times I have walked up to the counter said good morning and been ignored for 5 minutes. They must go on a special training course.
I have also had to do two runs from Felixstowe on one day to there and found that on my first run I have been held captive for 4 hours. When I returned for my second tip they were not going to let me in as I was outside my 1/2 hour arrival window. It took a lot of phone calls to sort that one out. That day I was close to my max daily duty.
The depot drivers there are also an ignorant bunch, they certainly do not adhere to the depot speed limit, and they don’t stop to allow you to back on to the bays.
I have seen one driver who keeps his dreadlocks in a teacosy argue with suppliers drivers on more than once and this has been down to his impatience.

Borderer:
ASDA tried to move me one night, I told them to [zb] off, and didnt move, they banned me from the site the following morning, I was so upset I asked if they could ban me from the whole group, [zb]!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I don’t believe it. Such a nice pleasant bloke normally. :laughing: :laughing:

I like it, lots of negativity towards Tesco.

Wayne:
I like it, lots of negativity towards Tesco.

Well i have never spent more than 2 hours at a Tesco rdc ,although i have spent more than 6 hours at asda washington and over 8 hours at morrisons wakefeld.

T’was indeed themselves at MIddlewich that put me out of business (5 hr tip times) during my brief foray into O/D’ship.

However the above is meant as a general passing comment only as i blame the now defunct Beeline Transport more.

Used to tip at tesco livingston three times one week and the next week twice. A load from the south west of England, 3.30am tip time.

I was lucky because the stuff i was taking up they were desperate for, so didnt matter how many trucks were in front of me i was always put straight on a bay and tipped pretty fast.

One time there was a mess up with the POD they had no one to available to check off the load and said looking at having to waiting 4 hours for the load to be checked i said no can do, will run outta hours. The guy behind the desk knew the company i worked for, only a small company 4 trucks and said ok can give the POD’s to your driver who is in tomorow night, no probs got to leave. Only really because the company i worked for had tipped at tescos for so long and knew them well.

I was lucky in that place though because spoke to lots of other drivers who had been waiting for half the day and gone over there hours or were going to. I never got any attitude again i pressume because my company knew them really well, but seen other people get attitude and other drivers told basically to f-off when they start asking when they will get tipped.

I think with companies its a case of a-holes attract a-holes. Used to tip at Somerfields Bridgwater, at 6.30am what a great place used to go in everyone happy chatty, go on a bay with a full load, go get my breakfast in their canteen back 30mins later truck tipped paper work ready. Been to Somerfields East Kilbride never been tipped in less than three hours even driving in and place is pretty much empty.

With companies i think you get a few a-holes in charge creates a bad atmosphere and all the staff start acting like a-holes everyone got atttitude. Worked for one company in Glasgow boss was stressed all the time, always freaking out at slightest thing and being a pain, everyone else working in the place ended up the same. Other places boss more laid back so are the staff.

I’d like Tesco to get hammered over their treatment of drivers at Livingston, but what can VOSA actually do to a distrubution centre ? As usual doesent it always fall 100% on the driver and the haulier. Maybe its an issue the RHA and other such groups should campaign about.

cant read the article. I updated my pc with service pack 3 today. Now it wont boot up!
I dont deal with goods in unless i have a backload. When i have been round that side there has only been a handful of drivers there. I do nights though. It might be different during the day

its easy cant gt tipped on time pull out and go back later or take it back to yard
sod Tesco they dont own your life or licence

dont use loyalty cards companies spying on you

hitch:
its easy cant gt tipped on time pull out and go back later or take it back to yard
sod Tesco they dont own your life or licence

dont use loyalty cards companies spying on you

Thats not exactly easy to do if you have traveled from the likes of the south west of England to Scotland to do a single delivery and you work for a small company.

who the ■■■■ do tescos think they are them ■■■■■■■ think there above the ■■■■■■■ law ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■ the ■■■■■■■ lot of em

go to asda instead. Im on a bay now with the key in the ignition and someone loading my trailer. Its nice to know someone has trust in a driver

The experience I have had with RDC’s has mostly been average, An hour at Tesco’s Middlewich was the longest I’ve waited. About the same at ASDA at Magna Park. Longest wait was 4 1/2 at Lewis’s at Brackmills, Didn’t bother me, company I worked for was charging client waiting time. I was paid job and knock and while I was waiting there I wasn’t expected to do anything else.

But a lot of people are right about them though, they do give priority to their own and biggest suppliers and something needs doing. But what can VOSA do?