Tesco Strike Purfleet

thurrockgazette.co.uk/news/ … y-shelves/

Thought it pretty interesting as I used to work there. (Quit like a month ago over pay).

When I did my exit interview with the manager, he fully understood why and when I asked him if he knew what other supermarkets in the area were paying he was fully aware. It’s kinda out of hands of transport office managers though so not much they can do.
I’d probably consider working there though under better pay.

A lot of drivers were taking home like £3000,3300 a month but you really had to put in the hours for it.

Watch this space for more Tesco sites voting for industrial action.

How could you actually tell if Tesco staff were on strike? :wink:

What company is doing Tesco transport these days?

WhiteTruckMan:

Tesco

WhiteTruckMan:

At Purfleet and Dagenham its all done by Tesco themselves.

Dimlaith:

We’ve got our pay deal at dagenham going the same way as purfleet.

karl67:

Dimlaith:

Magor going the same way

If Tescos still run Purfleet and Dagenham, then won’t all this strike end up doing - is push tescos to contract out the whole depots like they already have with places like Reading, Doncaster, and Snodland?

Winseer:
If Tescos still run Purfleet and Dagenham, then won’t all this strike end up doing - is push tescos to contract out the whole depots like they already have with places like Reading, Doncaster, and Snodland?

So what happened to the existing drivers in those depots?

I just hope that, if they do go out then we support their action by not taking the agency blood money to break the strike.

karl67:

Dimlaith:

Others are the same, including us. We’re waiting for our “final offer” then it’s going to end up going the same way I’d imagine based on other sites.

Didcot are already along that path

Part of the problem is that warehouse and drivers are in the same negotiating team, but at the minute with all the publicity around pay rises for drivers over the oastvfew months you’re never going to get drivers to accept a warehouse percentage pay rise, but if you’re tesco you’re never going to give your warehouse staff pay rises of the level drivers have had in recent months.

WhiteTruckMan:

dhl have got Doncaster and Goole

toonsy:

karl67:

Dimlaith:

Others are the same, including us. We’re waiting for our “final offer” then it’s going to end up going the same way I’d imagine based on other sites.

Part of the problem is that warehouse and drivers are in the same negotiating team, but at the minute with all the publicity around pay rises for drivers over the oastvfew months you’re never going to get drivers to accept a warehouse percentage pay rise, but if you’re tesco you’re never going to give your warehouse staff pay rises of the level drivers have had in recent months.

This is the problem with GMB in at Asda, more warehouse colleagues and office bods than drivers so when/if it comes to a vote to strike because drivers want a big rise and the warehouse to get a smaller one the warehouse will just vote no and drivers will be over ruled.

I heard talk just before I left that they were talking about splitting the reps and the votes for driving and warehouse to be on separate issues etc. Nothing like a good divide and conquer :laughing:

Anyhoo, Im glad I’m out of it, Small family company with half a dozen drivers including the boss. Got an issue? Straight to the top, no more bloody big company politics and red tape. Quite refreshing, popped in the yard yesterday morning to put some kit in my new truck, Boss is in his overalls changing some wheels and greasing tipper trailers, everyone mucks in to get things done :slight_smile:

Harry Monk:
How could you actually tell if Tesco staff were on strike? :wink:

Maybe they where driving less than 50mph?

Fuzrat:

toonsy:

karl67:

Dimlaith:

This is the problem with GMB in at Asda, more warehouse colleagues and office bods than drivers so when/if it comes to a vote to strike because drivers want a big rise and the warehouse to get a smaller one the warehouse will just vote no and drivers will be over ruled.

I heard talk just before I left that they were talking about splitting the reps and the votes for driving and warehouse to be on separate issues etc. Nothing like a good divide and conquer :laughing:

Anyhoo, Im glad I’m out of it, Small family company with half a dozen drivers including the boss. Got an issue? Straight to the top, no more bloody big company politics and red tape. Quite refreshing, popped in the yard yesterday morning to put some kit in my new truck, Boss is in his overalls changing some wheels and greasing tipper trailers, everyone mucks in to get things done :slight_smile:

GMB have submitted a pay claim to ASDA. Warehouse and office staff getting an extra £2 p/h, but drivers getting an extra £4 p/h. I think this is rightly deserved, but this can create division between staff when you all need to be as one.
Our pay claim is done with everyone else, so we all get the same and we are all as one and I’m happy with that. We have our pay topped up in other way’s like the shorter working week.
In all my years working, I have never crossed a picket line and fortunately the vast majority of our workforce are the same.
We should always support people withholding their labour for better pay and terms and conditions.

Which has been ignored. offering even bigger new starter bonuses now apparently. GMB want to move the pay negotiation date to october but Asda are saying nope it stays at april. Asda hanging it out to get through the golden quarter or am I just a cynic :laughing:

I worked there for 16 years, on nights. Retired in Nov '19.
I thought the job was ok, as long as you let all the bull***t go over your head.

Winseer:

Reading transport isn’t contracted out, it’s in house.

It won’t come to anything it never does, the lawyers usually find something the union has failed to do thus making such strikes null and void, the only thing that could sway a decent bit of a rise is the fact that the entire industry is in the same boat so if and its a big if a strike did happen then the usual suspects they would bring in wouldn’t be able to do the work.

As for depots going out to contract as a general rule this only occurs in ambient depots, fresh depots are to time critical for clownery from Stobarts/Wincanton/Downhill and so on, one thing Tesco are obsessed with is absolutely zero gaps on the shelves irrespective of cost.

The current situation with certain products being un available is a supplier issue and is across the industry.