Tesco Strike Purfleet

The other side is there be an amount of willing agency types ready to answer the call anyway. You’ve only to see the approach of some on here to know that’s true because they’ll get an extra couple quid an hour for it maybe.

mike68:
It won’t come to anything it never does, the lawyers usually find something the union has failed to do thus making such strikes null and void, the only thing that could sway a decent bit of a rise is the fact that the entire industry is in the same boat so if and its a big if a strike did happen then the usual suspects they would bring in wouldn’t be able to do the work.

As for depots going out to contract as a general rule this only occurs in ambient depots, fresh depots are to time critical for clownery from Stobarts/Wincanton/Downhill and so on, one thing Tesco are obsessed with is absolutely zero gaps on the shelves irrespective of cost.

The current situation with certain products being un available is a supplier issue and is across the industry.

Maritime do Snodland, which is fresh.

toonsy:
The other side is there be an amount of willing agency types ready to answer the call anyway. You’ve only to see the approach of some on here to know that’s true because they’ll get an extra couple quid an hour for it maybe.

Tesco are frantically recruiting as the availability of agency has dropped quite noticeably since the change in IR35.

Sometimes as many as 30 drivers short on certain days especially weekends, they’re sweating along with all the other big players.

selby newcomer:

mike68:
It won’t come to anything it never does, the lawyers usually find something the union has failed to do thus making such strikes null and void, the only thing that could sway a decent bit of a rise is the fact that the entire industry is in the same boat so if and its a big if a strike did happen then the usual suspects they would bring in wouldn’t be able to do the work.

As for depots going out to contract as a general rule this only occurs in ambient depots, fresh depots are to time critical for clownery from Stobarts/Wincanton/Downhill and so on, one thing Tesco are obsessed with is absolutely zero gaps on the shelves irrespective of cost.

The current situation with certain products being un available is a supplier issue and is across the industry.

I’m guessing its an old place nearing closure, big savings on redundancy re training big payouts that’s usually the way they play it.

mike68:

selby newcomer:

mike68:

I’m guessing its an old place nearing closure, big savings on redundancy re training big payouts that’s usually the way they play it.

You’re probably right, there was talk of it closing a few years ago & then Maritime got the transport contract, no idea how long that’s for though so possibly could close after that.

Snodland has been contracted out since the 1990s. It was originally Hays with the VMU contracted out to the local DAF dealer - Thameside Trucks. Strood was Exel and before that Tibbet and Britten.

toonsy:

I refused to cross a picket line at Doncaster but that was not that I had any sympathy for Tesco drivers , just my experience when employed in engineering
I’d be interested to know if Tesco drivers refuse to do O/t , extra shifts etc when agency drivers are stood down with no work ? I know the answer they couldn’t give a ■■■■ , so I won’t cross a picket line who Evers it maybe , but I really couldn’t give a ■■■■ about Tesco picket lines or whether they get a pay rise or not
I do note it’s agency drivers now taking flak for what’s going on at Tesco( not acceptable pay rise ) , yet the union arnt having one bad word said against them ( it’s
It’s not a dig at you personally toony, but I do think it’s a bit rich to ask for agency drivers help when in the next sentence your calling us ( or your brothers on this thread are )

dozy:

toonsy:

I refused to cross a picket line at Doncaster but that was not that I had any sympathy for Tesco drivers , just my experience when employed in engineering
I’d be interested to know if Tesco drivers refuse to do O/t , extra shifts etc when agency drivers are stood down with no work ? I know the answer they couldn’t give a [zb] , so I won’t cross a picket line who Evers it maybe , but I really couldn’t give a [zb] about Tesco picket lines or whether they get a pay rise or not
I do note it’s agency drivers now taking flak for what’s going on at Tesco( not acceptable pay rise ) , yet the union arnt having one bad word said against them ( it’s
It’s not a dig at you personally toony, but I do think it’s a bit rich to ask for agency drivers help when in the next sentence your calling us ( or your brothers on this thread are )

Sorry it came across wrong, I intended it differently so I’ll try and clarify.

Personally I don’t care whether someone is agency or not. I’ve had colleagues doing the same job as myself for years who have been on a perma-agency type thing and if that suits then fair do’s

My point in all of this is that Tesco will quibble about pay for drivers, warehouse etc and push it to the absolute limit. For instance there’s inflation, then there’s 6.6% lift in living wage, then the drivers pay rises ivee the past few months are all way above what they’re offering just a few weeks after they were saying they’re on track to make £2.6bn in PROFIT - ACTUAL PROFIT. Out last offer made to us was 3.3%.

Yet in this there’s no problem with throwing money at agencies when they could use some of it to entice/retain drivers onto their workforce in the first place.

The exact same thing can be said about joining bonuses etc. Why nkt just put it on the wages every year because it might patch a hole now but it will just return later I’d the root cause isn’t fixed.

My T&Cs are very good and the money I can make is also very good, but I only know that from being within and again onky after I’ve started to be paid properly, until then it was a risk that might not have worked. Similarly those looking outside in look st thd headline pay, say its crap then move on to look elsewhere.

selby newcomer:

Winseer:
If Tescos still run Purfleet and Dagenham, then won’t all this strike end up doing - is push tescos to contract out the whole depots like they already have with places like Reading, Doncaster, and Snodland?

Reading transport isn’t contracted out, it’s in house.

Maritime have got a few in there, pulling their own trailers. At the moment it seems half the Tesco trailers at Reading are being pulled by numerous different outside hauliers.

trucken:

selby newcomer:

Winseer:
If Tescos still run Purfleet and Dagenham, then won’t all this strike end up doing - is push tescos to contract out the whole depots like they already have with places like Reading, Doncaster, and Snodland?

Maritime have got a few in there, pulling their own trailers. At the moment it seems half the Tesco trailers at Reading are being pulled by numerous different outside hauliers.

It’s like that in most depots I’ve seen. With full timers getting runted on because they’ve paid for the subbies so have to use them.

Was qualified to someone at my place that they don’t especially need them now but had to book then in to make sure they had them for the peak in a few weeks.

toonsy:

trucken:

selby newcomer:

Winseer:

It’s like that in most depots I’ve seen. With full timers getting runted on because they’ve paid for the subbies so have to use them.

Was qualified to someone at my place that they don’t especially need them now but had to book then in to make sure they had them for the peak in a few weeks.

At Magor we have loads of subbies who get the easy one hitters while us full times are getting the scrap most days. Two or three express stores back for a second run. Tesco really need to invest into its new contract staff and I’m certain they would actually save on haulage costs.

Dimlaith:
At Magor we have loads of subbies who get the easy one hitters while us full times are getting the scrap most days. Two or three express stores back for a second run. Tesco really need to invest into its new contract staff and I’m certain they would actually save on haulage costs.

I agree. Same at my depot.

Dimlaith:

This kind…

Of behaviour isn’t exclusive to Tesco. I’ve driven for many firms that gave the cream to the agency men and subbies. The theory is that a full-timer is much less liable to mess up 3 or 4 local jobs like a rookie might (and from experience, frequently did).

yourhavingalarf:

Dimlaith:

This kind…

Of behaviour isn’t exclusive to Tesco. I’ve driven for many firms that gave the cream to the agency men and subbies. The theory is that a full-timer is much less liable to mess up 3 or 4 local jobs like a rookie might (and from experience, frequently did).

Quite, also the planners if they have any nous give the awkward runs requiring a bit of nous to reliable staff, whilst that could be regular agency its invariably among the handful of trustworthy non sick note full timers who get such runs constantly.
No it isn’t fair, nor is it right, but its the reality of getting the job done with available resources.

Juddian:

yourhavingalarf:

Dimlaith:

This kind…

Quite, also the planners if they have any nous give the awkward runs requiring a bit of nous to reliable staff, whilst that could be regular agency its invariably among the handful of trustworthy non sick note full timers who get such runs constantly.
No it isn’t fair, nor is it right, but its the reality of getting the job done with available resources.

Until it backfires and the full timers get fed up, drag the first run out and go home.

Yes, that does happen, but the planners know the reliable (gullible?) ones who just do what they’ve always done, work.
Invariably the constant pushing eventually forces the best drivers to look for alternative employment.

Yep, thats a lot of the reason I jumped out of Asda. Ironically I left Friday and I’m back in there tomorrow until xmas for a subbie :laughing: :laughing: