Tesco strike part 2

Got a union email saying it’s only unite that are recommending accepting the new offer, USDAW have rejected it with talks to continue.

We’re way behind it all, have only rejected the first offer, new talks planned for 21/12 which I expect will be cancelled due to timing.

toonsy:

Dimlaith:
Things are moving in the right direction
bbc.co.uk/news/business-59582288

Good news.

But really why hold the other 0.5% until Feb? Surely that would cost more administrating that?

Would you be happy with that?

To stop people from buggering off the moment the bonus hits their bank accounts otherwise? :unamused:

Carryfast:

Winseer:
I’m sick to death of seeing every decent pay round for the past four decades - choked off, and cancelled out by bloody interest rate and/or tax rises!! :imp:

As opposed to theft of capital.In the form of below inflation interest rates.Mostly because workers have bought the militant unions narrative so haven’t got the bottle or the inclination to maintain wage levels at above inflation.
Or regressive Council Tax or Purchase taxes which means earned income being taxed twice to provide income tax cuts for the highest earners.
Also bearing in mind the laughable difference in investment rates v lending rates ripping off investors even more.
There is a point where savers decide to either risk the cash playing the markets or spend it to add value to property which they can then liquidate later.
Rather than hand over their cash, so as to subsidise the wage levels of gutless workers with an aversion to maintaining their own wage levels instead of nicking other people’s cash.
Building Societies are already having to increase their savings rates to attract capital in that regard.The banks will have to follow suit if they want to maintain their funds.

As for Thatcher her idea of wage control was to just export the jobs to foreign workers whether German or Communist it didn’t matter to her.
Which further weakened the position of the domestic workforce.

There’s two tug-of-wars going on here.

The Bank of England likes to threaten interest rate rises - whenever workers get above-inflation pay rises, thus cancelling them out as I said earlier.

The other side of the coin however is the inflation in things you have no choice but to pay through the nose for, such as Utility bills and Forecourt prices.

I find it odd timing right now that ALL the supermarkets have stubbornly kept forecourt prices at sky-high levels, despite Oil dropping 20% back last week, although it has recovered half the drop since then. NO sniff of any drop back to the mid-130p/litre for forecourt prices alas! This is inflationary.

It bites the supermarket in the arse though, as Farmers won’t let the usual bullying happen to them… They’ll argue that THEIR prices need to rise to keep pace with inflation as well, and it all feeds on itself as it did in the late 1970’s…

If the Bank of England over-reacts, then we could see the beginnings of such inflation turn into a deflationary CRASH though…

It is a very fine balancing act indeed. Next week’s interest rate decision - will be watched closely by doves and hawks alike…

A rate rise more than necessary will kick workers and their recent pay rises into touch, and make everyone wonder why they bother to go on living…
A rate rise to 0.25-0.5% will be in line with expectations, and little will change.
NO rate rise - would give the supermarkets another month to start dropping their prices in line with cheaper produce, cheaper wholesale fuel, and of course a now-cheaper wage settlement, with more and more accepting the new deal of 5.5% plus 0.5% in february… There’s also a bonus for taking no time off over Christmas, so there’s not much point in striking at all really…

I am always amazed at how stupid savers with huge sums in the bank @ 0.1% interest rates - don’t put it into dividend yielding shares “Because it’s toooo risky” when leaving it on deposit at 0.1% guarantees you go broke slowly over many years - 100% chance of going broke, not 99% chance like trying to pick the winner of the next grand national!

People have got no idea of how to “RIsk Assess” their capital, and as such “Fools and their money - are soon parted”.

If you throw a rock into a pond - it sinks. If you throw the same rock into the sea - it sinks further.

Your savings are that rock. What you need to be doing - is surrounding it with bouyant devices, like floats NOT merely choosing a shallower pool to lose your money in!

“Oooh if it takes me 10 years to lose it all - then that’s lower risk than losing it all by the end of this year…”

No it bloody well ain’t! - The longer it takes you to lose it all, the longer it takes you to re-build it as well, and accept the fact you lost it!!
A quicker end means a quicker bounce-back recovery.

I know plenty of people that went bankrupt in their 40’s, and became millionaires in their 50’s.

Those who didn’t go bankrupt in their 40’s - are strangly still struggling to make their first million, yours truly included. :frowning:
It seems “Getting rid of all the minus things in your financial life” - makes you wealther rather faster than actually adding money to your pocket…

Winseer:

toonsy:

Dimlaith:

Good news.

But really why hold the other 0.5% until Feb? Surely that would cost more administrating that?

To stop people from buggering off the moment the bonus hits their bank accounts otherwise? :unamused:

If j was going to bugger off I’m not sure the 0.5% or £5 a week would swing it for me to stay…

And Winseer, chap, before dishing out financial advice to all who do or do not want it, is it worth remembering you were on your heels and fully despondent in terms of finances not so long back as per your postings on here?

The reality is that not many can afford to lock money away or simply can’t be bothered to juggle it and instead look at the security of knowing there’s a pot of money to tap into if the car needs a major repair or the boiler (gas, not wife) blows up.

No doubt you’ll ■■■ ■■■ pensions? One of the better Investment returns, I put in 5%, the company do the same, so already without any growth my investment has doubled, plus some tax relief. Add on growth of the fund over the longer term and you’ve got to drop a good way before you lose

toonsy:

Winseer:

toonsy:

Dimlaith:

Good news.

If j was going to bugger off I’m not sure the 0.5% or £5 a week would swing it for me to stay…

And Winseer, chap, before dishing out financial advice to all who do or do not want it, is it worth remembering you were on your heels and fully despondent in terms of finances not so long back as per your postings on here?

The reality is that not many can afford to lock money away or simply can’t be bothered to juggle it and instead look at the security of knowing there’s a pot of money to tap into if the car needs a major repair or the boiler (gas, not wife) blows up.

No doubt you’ll ■■■ ■■■ pensions? One of the better Investment returns, I put in 5%, the company do the same, so already without any growth my investment has doubled, plus some tax relief. Add on growth of the fund over the longer term and you’ve got to drop a good way before you lose

I agree with your last point, but there are rather too many pensions now that people get effectively forced onto, that don’t really invest the money at all… “Churn and Burn” is all they do, and you’ll be lucky to get back what you paid in with those that these days - seem to form the bulk of the market with regards to pensions started in the 21st century as “viable plans” investing in things like Bonds (Ultra-low interest rates - why bother?) or only those shares that pay minute dividends (Eg. Vodaphone 0.1% rather than a high street bank 4%+)

I don’t like their investment outlook essentially, where they’d rather choose a guaranteed loss over time by picking investments that consistently don’t beat the rate of inflation, let alone the FTSE… A kid playing “Pin the tail on the donkey” could do better, quite frankly…

I ended up having to solve last year’s financial crisis by re-monetizing my entire life in the end, which forced me among other things to look at the “work/life balance” thing… The result is that I now work a 3 day week for a full week’s pay - something I’ve been trying swing as a contract for a long time. I didn’t like being told when I could work, and when I could not beforehand, if you remember my strong opposition to the good old “Any five from seven” when you don’t even know which days you’re working from one week (or one day…) to the next…
I, of course - won’t be relying on any return spoken of for “Furlough” neither - as it is quite clear that only a select few of us will get it - NOT a good system representing everyone there, and nor will it be again, of course…

Yeah defo agree with the ANY five from seven as that’s way too intense tilted against anyone having a pattern to enable a decent work/life balance.

Fixed 5/7 though isn’t bad. Depends where works for each individual. I can see merit of doing longer days but less of them, but also merit in shorter but more frequent days. Horses for courses but having spent years in the longer days but also more frequent camp I’m currently much happier doing 8/9/10hrs a day rather than hoping for 12hrs as a “short” day :open_mouth:

The strike is off. Pretty much over when unite accepted the improved offer.

reuters.com/business/retail … 021-12-14/

I take it by “much improved” it means to reflect the Unite offer?

It only mentions the nine DCs balloted for strike action sonnonidea where that leaves us. We have talk last Friday which got pulled with further talks planned for tomorrow.

The email I received today from USDAW said briefings will take place from noon tomorrow and the notice of industrial action has been withdrawn. I can’t seethe offer being less than what unite agreed.

Dimlaith:
The email I received today from USDAW said briefings will take place from noon tomorrow and the notice of industrial action has been withdrawn. I can’t seethe offer being less than what unite agreed.

I agree. Similarly I can’t see it being more either.

toonsy:
Yeah defo agree with the ANY five from seven as that’s way too intense tilted against anyone having a pattern to enable a decent work/life balance.

Fixed 5/7 though isn’t bad. Depends where works for each individual. I can see merit of doing longer days but less of them, but also merit in shorter but more frequent days. Horses for courses but having spent years in the longer days but also more frequent camp I’m currently much happier doing 8/9/10hrs a day rather than hoping for 12hrs as a “short” day :open_mouth:

Fixed 5 from 7 would be OK if it were max 8 hour shifts on contract Eg. Do more than 8 hours and get Overtime at time-and-a-half - enshrined IN that full time contract… :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue: :bulb:

You watch depots, transport yards, and managers everywhere - suddenly organize so that no one ever runs out of time on the road again!

toonsy:
I take it by “much improved” it means to reflect the Unite offer?

It only mentions the nine DCs balloted for strike action sonnonidea where that leaves us. We have talk last Friday which got pulled with further talks planned for tomorrow.

…I could be cynical and suggest that a Union’s definition of “Much Improved” merely means “No committee members bumped off any cushy contracts, and no compulsory redudancies for union hangers-on…” (But no voluntary redundancy pathway neither, for those long-serving staff who are about to be got rid off via the “Too much sick” angle…)

I suggest that Unions are the friends of the Managers rather than the shop floor staff, of course…

Winseer:

toonsy:

Fixed 5 from 7 would be OK if it were max 8 hour shifts on contract Eg. Do more than 8 hours and get Overtime at time-and-a-half - enshrined IN that full time contract… :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue: :bulb:

You watch depots, transport yards, and managers everywhere - suddenly organize so that no one ever runs out of time on the road again!

That’s what I do, well 8.5hr days and the rest is overtime. Doesn’t seem to have much bearing on overtime either tbf

So no industrial action before Christmas. Seems like a long drawn-out process; every time there is a new offer, the whole process goes back two steps. If the percentages were convincing for rejecting I would say the members still have at least another rejection in them.

Noremac:
So no industrial action before Christmas. Seems like a long drawn-out process; every time there is a new offer, the whole process goes back two steps. If the percentages were convincing for rejecting I would say the members still have at least another rejection in them.

What percentage would you be willing to accept?

stu675:

Noremac:

It’s 5.5% backdated to July plus extra 0.5% in Feb,
think most are happy enough now with their lot.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

stu675:

Noremac:

It’s 5.5% backdated to July plus extra 0.5% in Feb,
think most are happy enough now with their lot.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Plus 1 added personal day/annual leave day.

selby newcomer:

only for next 2 yr

karl67:

selby newcomer:

only for next 2 yr

Seems a bit strange. I’ve not had the briefing yet so don’t know anything.

stu675:

Noremac:

Sorry I meant if a high percentage of the members voted to reject, there may still be some scope for a further rejection.