Tesco strike part 2

So they rush him to pick the pallets / cages & then you get to the store & you spen 2/3 hrs out side as there 4x d/d in front of you ( Lincoln up the hill was a nightmare for that ) , they’ve no room for your load , it’s a hour befor shift change so he’s not tipping you a hour before he goes home , then the bloke who comes on shift has a strop on as the earlier bloke hasn’t tipped you so it’s a hour before he can be bothered to tip you
What’s the rush

I am thinking that surely it will be difficult to mitigate at the depots where both the warehouse staff and the drivers are on strike. Yes, agency bods can come in and contractors can come in on the transport side, but getting suitable bods in the warehouse (inducted and shown what to do) may be a challenge.

Meetings will be taking place this week between Tesco and Unite first then Tesco and USDAW. ASDA distribution workers in one DC are currently conducting a ballot.

Dimlaith:
Meetings will be taking place this week between Tesco and Unite first then Tesco and USDAW. ASDA distribution workers in one DC are currently conducting a ballot.

Asda , what’s Asda got to do with it , though a few years ago there was a Asda d/d on the ambient bays at morr gadbrook that had me thinking

Noremac:
I am thinking that surely it will be difficult to mitigate at the depots where both the warehouse staff and the drivers are on strike. Yes, agency bods can come in and contractors can come in on the transport side, but getting suitable bods in the warehouse (inducted and shown what to do) may be a challenge.

It don’t work like that
they move the job to another dc and it’s picked and delivered from that dc

karl67:

Noremac:

It don’t work like that

Problem is they won’t be able to do that nationwide, some areas will be almost uncoverable such as the Midlands with Hinckley and Lichfield out and also the ‘next closest’ DCs also.

Hopefully talks prove fruitful and all this is avoided.

A lot of the issue is that warehouse and drivers are lumped together into one negotiation and we’ve all see driver rates increase so Tesco need to look at that as that’s beyond the standard or else they’ll just keep on losing people.

On the other hand, DHL in the South West announced was it a 15% pay deal yesterday? Under our negotiations that wouldn’t even be offered because that would then also be offered to warehouse staff too and not just drivers.

A way round it would be to give the percentage rise, plus a driver premium representing the difference, but we’ll see what happens I guess.

I’m disapointed Thurrock depot have decided not to strike.

If people are not happy with their pay & conditions why don’t they find a job that suits them

SHYTOT:
If people are not happy with their pay & conditions why don’t they find a job that suits them

Because we pay into a union and part of that unions responsibility is to negotiate better terms and conditions including pay.

dozy:

Dimlaith:

Asda , what’s Asda got to do with it , though a few years ago there was a Asda d/d on the ambient bays at morr gadbrook that had me thinking

Because it is relevant that ASDA are facing the same or similar issues as Tesco.

adam277:
I’m disapointed Thurrock depot have decided not to strike.

I’ve been getting spam recruitment emails for Thurrock, which doesn’t affect me, as I’m on the wrong side of the river…

Looks like a contingency is already in place in case Thurrock now decide to join the strike AFTER all.

SHYTOT:

Yeh, like chuck in full time and come back at another supermarket on agency? :stuck_out_tongue:

toonsy:

karl67:

Noremac:

It don’t work like that

Problem is they won’t be able to do that nationwide, some areas will be almost uncoverable such as the Midlands with Hinckley and Lichfield out and also the ‘next closest’ DCs also.

Hopefully talks prove fruitful and all this is avoided.

A lot of the issue is that warehouse and drivers are lumped together into one negotiation and we’ve all see driver rates increase so Tesco need to look at that as that’s beyond the standard or else they’ll just keep on losing people.

On the other hand, DHL in the South West announced was it a 15% pay deal yesterday? Under our negotiations that wouldn’t even be offered because that would then also be offered to warehouse staff too and not just drivers.

A way round it would be to give the percentage rise, plus a driver premium representing the difference, but we’ll see what happens I guess.

Are supply drivers going to be asked to cross picket lines, or is there already some organization to send the deliveries for say, Lichfield into DIRFT instead?

I seem to remember when Thatcher took over, winter of 1980/81…

Anyone that couldn’t afford a substantial pay rise in the PRIVATE sector - folded (and a lot of firms did!) whilst the public sector simply wasn’t recruiting for around 5 years…

You could only get a job if you went on some kind of so-called “Youth Opportunities Scheme” where you got paid £25 per week - for doing the full job… In my case, working in a computer center Sunday-Thursday 8pm-8am…

When I asked at the end of the 6 month period if there was any chance of being kept on at regular wages - I got sacked on the spot for my “impertinance”…

Other similar non-job losses followed, until I ended up at RM in 1988 - the first job I ever had where I earned the same money as those working alongside me. “Parity Pay” indeed!

No agencies back then, of course… I don’t count Parkinsons Staff Bureau or Alfred Marks, as they used to do Shorthand Typists rather than HGV drivers, and in any case - I didn’t get my car licence until 1988 let alone my HGV until three years after that! I went around everywhere on a moped I’d got off a Mod…

It is possible when the smoke clears - the better-funded supermarkets will ultimately pay the higher new going rate, and the others that cannot keep up - will bleed away all their staff, already drivers, but soon warehouse people to be added -

…Just in time to dump a huge loss such as Morrisons being sold to foreigners - into someone else’s pocket that can afford to take the hit better than the UK business community right now. ASDA belongs to the Yanks effectively as well, so there’s another link that could well fail.
Sysco purchased Brakes two weeks before the referendum for half a billion more than they would have paid HAD they punted on Brexit to win that referendum… Even Brakes are now paying £37k to their C2 drivers, but alas C+E drivers like Moi got laid off in 2018 alas…

The surviving supermarkets - won’t hold so much bargaining power when it comes to negotiating from UK based food sources neither - which can only be a good thing…

BUT… All this is INFLATIONARY, and sharp rises in interest rates could now well follow, putting millions of mortgage payers at risk of being re-possessed like in 1992 following Black Wednesday… :frowning:

I’d love to see the Bank of England next thursday - NOT raise rates, and let the already-pumped up Pay Awards STAND on their own merits “Solved within the Industry” as it were…

Here’s hoping…

Pound vs USD live chart… Click on it just before Midday December 16th (Thursday) to observe the effect the Bank of England’s rate decision has on the market…

Everyone is expecting a rate rise this month…

If the rise is lower than expected, the pound will fall. .If the rise is higher - the pound will rally.

Looking at the chart right now - I’d say there are a few punters who think they might not be hiking the rate AFTER all…

Good news for mortgage payers!

A panecea of low mortgage rates and higher wages would abound…

I’m sick to death of seeing every decent pay round for the past four decades - choked off, and cancelled out by bloody interest rate and/or tax rises!! :imp:

Things are moving in the right direction
bbc.co.uk/news/business-59582288

Dimlaith:

Good news.

But really why hold the other 0.5% until Feb? Surely that would cost more administrating that?

Would you be happy with that?

Winseer:
I’m sick to death of seeing every decent pay round for the past four decades - choked off, and cancelled out by bloody interest rate and/or tax rises!! :imp:

As opposed to theft of capital.In the form of below inflation interest rates.Mostly because workers have bought the militant unions narrative so haven’t got the bottle or the inclination to maintain wage levels at above inflation.
Or regressive Council Tax or Purchase taxes which means earned income being taxed twice to provide income tax cuts for the highest earners.
Also bearing in mind the laughable difference in investment rates v lending rates ripping off investors even more.
There is a point where savers decide to either risk the cash playing the markets or spend it to add value to property which they can then liquidate later.
Rather than hand over their cash, so as to subsidise the wage levels of gutless workers with an aversion to maintaining their own wage levels instead of nicking other people’s cash.
Building Societies are already having to increase their savings rates to attract capital in that regard.The banks will have to follow suit if they want to maintain their funds.

As for Thatcher her idea of wage control was to just export the jobs to foreign workers whether German or Communist it didn’t matter to her.
Which further weakened the position of the domestic workforce.

toonsy:

Dimlaith:

Good news.

But really why hold the other 0.5% until Feb? Surely that would cost more administrating that?

Tesco are probably saying the rate of inflation was less when pay negotiations stated this year and they are not willing to pay the full 6% backdated. Seems fair to me.

I’m happy with the rise if they offer us the same but we still have the problem of wage disparity at Magor which may or may not be sorted anytime soon. USDAW back meeting Tesco on Monday so we will know more next week hopefully.

Dimlaith:

toonsy:

Dimlaith:

Good news.

Tesco are probably saying the rate of inflation was less when pay negotiations stated this year and they are not willing to pay the full 6% backdated. Seems fair to me.

I’m happy with the rise if they offer us the same but we still have the problem of wage disparity at Magor which may or may not be sorted anytime soon. USDAW back meeting Tesco on Monday so we will know more next week hopefully.

Think ours talks are supposed to be today (bear in mind we’re way behind and still yet to be offered the 4% everyone else has rejected) so I’d assume either our talks get postponed or we get offered the new deal.

If i hear anything I’ll let you know.

Dimlaith:

dozy:

Dimlaith:

Because it is relevant that ASDA are facing the same or similar issues as Tesco.

What issues?

Asda drivers are not threatening to go on strike. ASDA ALS GMB are. Warehouse workers outnumber the drivers significantly. And they run the show. If the warehouse staff were offered 50p an hour the drivers would be laughed at and urinated on.

The Asda ballot isn’t a ballot to stike. It’s a ballot to ballot on the strike.

Asda didn’t offer the drivers 0%. They didn’t offer the other workers in ALS 0% either. But the GMB union won’t let you know that. A little birdie said they offered the drivers 7% but amazingly the union are not saying that. They are not even telling the members that.

The union are playing the drivers for clowns. And the drivers are pumping their fists and going along with it. Driving and warehouse should be separate - and until that day the drivers are nothing more than pawns. Especially when the GMB rep is a failed MP who idolizes Jeremy Corbyn.

What do I know. I’m just an agency driver and don’t even work at Asda.