Tesco strike part 2

To add.The plan for rail suggests that ‘RDC’s’ will be rail based not road/artic for the bulk/distance sector of freight journeys.
With what’s left being a 7.5t/18t distribution dominated ‘road transport’ sector.
Those burger delivery moped drivers obviously know something in that regard.

Carryfast:

Winseer:

sweepster:
I can never understand different rates depending where you work, you should all be on the same basic. The only difference should be London weighting.

Are agency rates at the various RDCs different too?

On the other hand, NO one gets paid extra for running INTO London - do they?

Sadiste Khaaan’s Ultra Lifestyle-Ending Zone (ULEZ) means that there must surely now be a death of HGV yards actually operating out of the inner London area?

Presumably, for future food deliveries - Artics won’t come into the ULEZ so much, and puddle jumpers will be coming OUT to fetch and carry from Home Counties-based RDCs…?

Home Counties v London is irrelevant for cost of living comparisons.
It’s always been cheaper to base a truck in Durham than Dorking at least since 1980 and you’ll still need a much higher wage to live in Dorking.

As for Euro 6 unless you’re running an old ■■■■■■■ powered Foden 4000 series it’s a moot point.Most recent types of trucks contain built in obsolescence in the form of unsustainable maintanence costs.Which generally means leasing new compliant kit anyway.

I never bothered keeping “Top Trumps” stats for the vehicles I’ve driven over the years…

If it’s roadworthy, I’ll drive what’s given me - if not, I’ll defect it, and ask for another. if appropriate.

I can’t imagine all this meat-beating and five-knuckle-shuffles that seem to go on over getting issued the very latest DAFt, Scumia, Volva, and of course lord have Mercy tractor that has the misfortune of having it’s keys lobbed at us weary transport office furniture types…

Winseer:

Carryfast:

Winseer:

sweepster:
Are agency rates at the various RDCs different too?

On the other hand, NO one gets paid extra for running INTO London - do they?

Sadiste Khaaan’s Ultra Lifestyle-Ending Zone (ULEZ) means that there must surely now be a death of HGV yards actually operating out of the inner London area?

Presumably, for future food deliveries - Artics won’t come into the ULEZ so much, and puddle jumpers will be coming OUT to fetch and carry from Home Counties-based RDCs…?

Home Counties v London is irrelevant for cost of living comparisons.
It’s always been cheaper to base a truck in Durham than Dorking at least since 1980 and you’ll still need a much higher wage to live in Dorking.

As for Euro 6 unless you’re running an old ■■■■■■■ powered Foden 4000 series it’s a moot point.Most recent types of trucks contain built in obsolescence in the form of unsustainable maintanence costs.Which generally means leasing new compliant kit anyway.

I never bothered keeping “Top Trumps” stats for the vehicles I’ve driven over the years…

If it’s roadworthy, I’ll drive what’s given me - if not, I’ll defect it, and ask for another. if appropriate.

I can’t imagine all this meat-beating and five-knuckle-shuffles that seem to go on over getting issued the very latest DAFt, Scumia, Volva, and of course lord have Mercy tractor that has the misfortune of having it’s keys lobbed at us weary transport office furniture types…

I think we can safely call it South East living costs weighting.Which just means less jobs in sectors which can be based more cheaply in other parts of the country.Which for us means the few haulage firms we had long ago having closed their gates and moved away and their yards turned into housing estates.

As for top trumps.It’s got Nothing to do with the truck.It’s all about the work and most people don’t want to drive a truck to be stuck with the choice of working in the local distribution or building sectors or nothing, all to increase the profits of the rail freight industry.
Which is what the plan for rail is all about and makes the idea of road transport RDC’s moot.It’s just rail to road transhipment hubs with more emphasis on 7.5t and 18t and the need for fewer if any artics, everywhere not just London.

It starts google.co.uk/amp/s/www.donc … 9337%3famp

Dimlaith:
It starts google.co.uk/amp/s/www.donc … 9337%3famp

Great reporting!!
"Shoppers in Doncaster are being warned of potential shortages … by workers at the sprawling depot which supplies supermarkets across the country.

The irony…

Of their current TV ad ‘Nothing’s stopping us’. :smiley:

You won’t shift a single sprout if no one’s in your warehouse to load it.

Thirteen distribution centres now confirmed to be taking industrial action.

I’m confused , what’s Doncaster got to do with Tesco ( driver wise ) as I thought it was now run by dhl , surely if the drivers have a issue with wages it would be with dhl , if Tesco are paying there wages why not just run it themselves , sounds a mess of there own making too me

Which 13? What days are the actions, so agency people can all get pre-booked in there, and fill their boots… IF it was true of course that there is this “imminent walkout”…

The trouble with Today’s “Democratic Values” - is that this ‘unseen majority’ - always seems to be an ethereal group of people that don’t actually need to be present (or actually vote with real votes…) to get counted as “The Majority Result” in narrative-controlled rumourmill city…

Lemme guess… Those yards where Unite has any prescence on the shop floor whatsoever - are the ones “rumoured” to have voted in the majority for industrial action, rather than the truth which is more like “94% of workers voted to reject the 4% pay award” - not the same things at all!

All that is likely to happen IF any such walkout occured - is Tesco are likely to move more towards the Discounters model, where you put yourself on a bay, report to the steel-cage Admin, tip and re-load yourself using powered pallet movers, and essentially the old days of 3-4 hours waiting on the bay, paid but asleep on your bunk - are GONE…

A couple of years ago - the discounters were looking “For warehouse operatives that happen to hold HGV licences”. Now the boot is on the other foot, and the time is coming where any HGV driver who cannot handle a PPM/Pump Truck/Warehouse Dock Leveller/Different SSOW everywhere you go, often contradictory - may be incoming faster than we all think! :open_mouth:

A handy tool of the modern age called Google will give you the information you need to discover which sites have voted for industrial action. Stop going off on a tangent regarding this serious matter please.

Dimlaith:
A handy tool of the modern age called Google will give you the information you need to discover which sites have voted for industrial action. Stop going off on a tangent regarding this serious matter please.

I would argue the voices of those on the shop floor - are more closer to the truth than the crap put out in press releases by Unite and then scooped up by the narrative-proofed Google algorhythm, that then gets put out there as “News”…

I ask again: Which depots have definitely voted to strike, rather than accept the 4pc reluctantly, so they can get the one-off payments in time for Christmas… Yards such as Thurrock for example…

Winseer:

Dimlaith:

I would argue the voices of those on the shop floor - are more closer to the truth than the crap put out in press releases by Unite and then scooped up by the narrative-proofed Google algorhythm, that then gets put out there as “News”…

I ask again: Which depots have definitely voted to strike, rather than accept the 4pc reluctantly, so they can get the one-off payments in time for Christmas… Yards such as Thurrock for example…

It’s all publicly available…

"The workers represented by Unite, including warehouse staff and HGV drivers, are based at sites in Antrim, Belfast, Didcot and Doncaster.

Usdaw said its members had voted to take action at sites in Daventry, Goole, Hinckley, Lichfield, Livingston, Magor in south Wales, Peterborough and Southampton."

My depot in Daventry is not included but that’s because we’re way behind in negotiations. Further talks planned for Friday, but our last offer was 3.3% so if they go to 4% as their next move I’m guessing in the new year we’ll be balloted

What I’m getting at here, is that surely a strike voted for by say, 40% of the entire national depot workforce that gets out-voted by the other 60% - means there WON’T be a national strike, because the national strike ballot FAILED.

If each depot gets to vote and take industrial action on a seperate case each and every time - then that surely is nothing more than a local dispute/wildcat strike as it was done without the winning of a national strike ballot first.

I still maintain that Unite are merelys hit stirring here, trying to trick/punish other depot staff that voted in the majority NOT to strike - into somehow complying with their wishes to strike at a local level, Eg. “not cross their picket lines, get suspended as a result, causing the strike to spread among those other depots still working”…

Even the reporting by good old left-leaning Auntie Beeb - maintains truths that simply don’t bear out in reality…

I draw your attention to:

" According to Unite:

The Didcot and Doncaster sites will see an initial 48 hour stoppage beginning at 06:00 on 16 December.
This will be followed by a further five day stoppage beginning on 20 December.
There will be a further a 48-hour stoppage beginning on 30 December and a three-day stoppage beginning on 5 January 2022 at Doncaster and Didcot.
Unite members at the Antrim and Belfast Tesco distribution centres will begin an all-out continuous strike from 07:00 on 16 December. "

…which would disrupt the christmas bonus payments already on the table, but NOT for those depots that are continuing to work, and therefore any strike action would be isolated to the “unofficial” actions that will be heavily financially penalized, in effect the action-taking depots throwing their Christmas bonus away, such as refusing to work Christmas and New Year’s eve (premium shifts) or refusing to work Christmas Day, which they won’t be doing anyways, but would have normally got paid for… NOT if you’re on strike… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

As for the Ulster affair… They are just playing into the hands of the EU and Dublin who want NI to cede itself to them - and this is one of those battles that is seen to likely facilitate that… “Food Shortages - it’s all Brexit’s fault! We told you so!” when you’re causing that, in the name of a third-party union as well - you bloody muppets! well, let 'em go hungry at the depots for refusing to do their bloody job contracts, throwing away their Christmas earnings, and putting some much-needed work for agency on the table come January, when there normally isn’t much to be had… Fools!

Unite in particular, imo has made cannon fodder out of the membership… You don’t get to win a national strike ballot by pretending you are a different nation from the rest of the UK. The depots south of Watford Gap are the ones to be talked into supporting a strike… Fail to get them on board (Didcot is a shambles, and has been for years, so doesn’t count…)

The dividing and conquering - has already been done here. If the worst comes to the worst, more striking staff members will simply be replaced in short-of-work January when it is far easier to find replacement agency in particular willing to go full time. The issue meantime, is getting non-striking fellow members to cross the unofficial picket lines… “Unofficial” because a national strike ballot - was NOT won.

Such is the problem with “Block Voting” of course…

Now if a national strike ballot HAD been won - the boot would have been on the other foot, as official picket lines - would be preventing suppliers and agency alike from going in there - wouldn’t they?

TruckDriverBen:
You don’t see stobart drivers moaning for the 9.50ph

10.50 [emoji2357][emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSMRookie:

TruckDriverBen:

You’d think that the pay somewhere like Donny for Stobart on agency into that depot (assuming they still have that contract…) would compete with the “Golden Triangle” - which isn’t that far away…?

I suppose there could be a bit of a bottleneck if the agency bods decided that £10.50ph isn’t enough to cover ANY job these days, let alone crossing unofficial picket lines for - and decide to go work somewhere else nearby where they can bag double that at this time of the year… :open_mouth:

Who are the other agencies that operate around the Donny area anyways?

I remember seeing this “Corrr” agency, which presumably is run by nubile EE supermodel types - but are they one of the nationwide ones?

Winseer:

DSMRookie:

TruckDriverBen:

You’d think that the pay somewhere like Donny for Stobart on agency into that depot (assuming they still have that contract…) would compete with the “Golden Triangle” - which isn’t that far away…?

I suppose there could be a bit of a bottleneck if the agency bods decided that £10.50ph isn’t enough to cover ANY job these days, let alone crossing unofficial picket lines for - and decide to go work somewhere else nearby where they can bag double that at this time of the year… :open_mouth:

Who are the other agencies that operate around the Donny area anyways?

I remember seeing this “Corrr” agency, which presumably is run by nubile EE supermodel types - but are they one of the nationwide ones?

Don’t know about Doncaster but Logistics people (Stobart/Culina) pay 17.5 ph holidays included which comes in at 15.7 without the holiday pay included. Not good but not terrible.

Winseer:

Geography obviously not your strong point - the “Golden Triangle” area of Rugby/Crick/Daventry etc is no-where near Doncaster.

I live in Nottingham (half way between Golden Triangle & Doncaster) for the benefit of your geography and there is noticeable pay differences both 45 mins North and South of here.

tmcassett:

Winseer:

Geography obviously not your strong point - the “Golden Triangle” area of Rugby/Crick/Daventry etc is no-where near Doncaster.

I live in Nottingham (half way between Golden Triangle & Doncaster) for the benefit of your geography and there is noticeable pay differences both 45 mins North and South of here.

There was me thinking the “Golden Triangle” was South of Manchester… I don’t know Manchester, and I never noticed the “Drift” area being anything special when I went into places like Secure Mail (Now Xpo), Trailer swapped outside M&S/Sainsburys @ Crick, or of course RM opposite Mothercare (…Still there?)

Not “Geography” then, but rather just ignorance at what others actually meant on here when referring to the Golden Triangle in the past, as I never remember J18 on the M1 ever being part of those descriptions…

Talking of Donny, I am still none the wiser as to what Stobarts full timers are getting paid working at the Donny Tesco depot, which they now run as “Partner”… We all know what the agency bods get, but what about the full timers, as it is surely THEY who will be first-asked to cross picket lines, or even join the strike itself…?

Winseer:

tmcassett:

Winseer:

I worked for them when the original

There was me thinking the “Golden Triangle” was South of Manchester… I don’t know Manchester, and I never noticed the “Drift” area being anything special when I went into places like Secure Mail (Now Xpo), Trailer swapped outside M&S/Sainsburys @ Crick, or of course RM opposite Mothercare (…Still there?)

Not “Geography” then, but rather just ignorance at what others actually meant on here when referring to the Golden Triangle in the past, as I never remember J18 on the M1 ever being part of those descriptions…

Talking of Donny, I am still none the wiser as to what Stobarts full timers are getting paid working at the Donny Tesco depot, which they now run as “Partner”… We all know what the agency bods get, but what about the full timers, as it is surely THEY who will be first-asked to cross picket lines, or even join the strike itself…?

We were doing loads out of there when Tesco decided to give the work/ job to stobarts , the only stobart drivers who went over the picket lines were the ones who were either too frighten to say no , or some when as they wanted a confrontation
I refused to go , they aske me why & I said I wouldn’t cross a picket line due to what happened when I worked as a engineer , there was no pressure put on me , they just changed my work & if I remember right I just did Tesco snodland / Southampton
It makes good reading that stobarts forced there drivers go through the picket line , but it certainly in my case / depot it wasn’t , they just said that’s fine & changed the work ( it did cause issues though with other drivers as they didn’t like the fact I wasn’t being forced / made to go ) ,
But it doesn’t matter what anyone says , be it other drivers / managers / whether I give two ■■■■■ about them or not , I never have / and never will cross a picket line
My dad / uncle both worked at rolls Royce , they were not just brothers / but best of mates , they fell out over what happened on a picket line , they never spoke to the day my dad died , so ■■■■■■■ sad , two brothers who never spoke over a picket line , I saw my uncle at my dads funeral , you could see how he felt in his eyes , face soaked in tears
Like I say I’ll never go over one , i just wish the ■■■■■■■ things we’re never invented , then my dad / uncle wouldn’t of ended up falling out

Found this…

It’s from a Dagenham warehouse worker.

'Been working in the warehouse in Dagenham for a year now. Honestly we deserve so much more but receive so little. In case you’re wondering, let me enlighten you all:

In the warehouse you have something called performance which is 92 percent. You’re expected to achieve that by the end of your shift. If it isn’t met consistently, expect to be pulled in by management to discuss why you’re not achieving your ‘92’. Furthermore different pallets have direct expected times. You can pick a pallet of bananas which contain 32 heavy boxes and be expected to pick them in 15 minutes, which is entirely unreasonable considering the state of our equipment and how heavy bananas get (keep in mind what I said about performance). Or you could get lucky and score something light which can be picked quickly, thus if you put the effort in your performance for that pallet will by high. But effort isn’t reflected accurately.

The depot is poorly managed with truck batteries and printers consistently not being available, which has a knock on effect for pickers in the warehouse. And management aren’t really concerned about your mental or physical physical. Be sick on your days off, not on Tesco’s time. I have been given warnings for suffering with my mental health, despite providing proof of my medication and sick notes. Overall, customers are having the wool pulled over their eyes if they think Tesco is a fair place to work at.’