Tesco lorries

Been reading on another forum that Tesco has 8 dedicated trains a day so before I reply anybody have any idea how many truck loads Tesco send out each day just to compare, it must be in the thousands.

Why not go spend the day outside a depot, count them, take pictures of them, wave to the drivers, and record the numbers on each truck to ensure your not counting the same truck more than once. Then multiply the total by the number of depots. I’m sure there’s bound to be others there doing the same to keep you company

I’m not that sad, but the other forum is very anti truck so just wondering if anyone had any ideas to compare

mac12:
I’m not that sad, but the other forum is very anti truck so just wondering if anyone had any ideas to compare

If the other forum is that anti-truck then you might as well just make up a figure as the chances are they won’t take any notice or believe you anyway.

info from direct rail services website

On average, each rail journey takes 77 heavy goods vehicles off the UK’s already congested roads. This results in dramatic fuel savings and can reduce CO2 emissions by up to 80% depending on the route.

I saw a Tesco train go through Preston station and it certainly didn’t have 77 containers on it. There was about 30 at the most. It did have an electric locomotive powering it, though, so they can justifiably tick the environmental box. Unless every Tesco shop in Scotland has a rail siding of its own into the goods yard I also fail to see how they are able to give a figure of lorry journeys removed from the road. Lorry kilometres yes, journeys no.

total pish.
the specific trainload saves tesco money.
itl be non urgent stock for the rdc bases.
it may save emissions on those equivelant loads if they were taken there by truck,not accounting for all the emissions caised in producing the elictricity for the train in the first place whch is probably more eco unfriendly,assuming its not dragged by a big dirty diesel engine anyway.
tosco types cant do decent long runs the way they work as it would take them about 5 shifts to do 2 decent days work hence snails pace on the train.and would cost them fortunes. its about the money,nothing more.

Tesco have a railhead in Inverness where the boxes are transhiped onto trucks for onward delivery. There’s also an unused railhead near Wick as not enough traffic to warrant running a train there, bit of forward thinking there, not !!

We’re is the resident Stobart spotter, aka itsjoe,

Olog Hai:
I saw a Tesco train go through Preston station and it certainly didn’t have 77 containers on it. There was about 30 at the most. It did have an electric locomotive powering it, though, so they can justifiably tick the environmental box. Unless every Tesco shop in Scotland has a rail siding of its own into the goods yard I also fail to see how they are able to give a figure of lorry journeys removed from the road. Lorry kilometres yes, journeys no.

How do they tick the environmental box? Does the electricity grow on trees?

emmerson2:

That dirty diesel/electric loco at the grim generates it all. Hardly ECO friendly at all.

emmerson2:

Olog Hai:

Perhaps you could look at where and how the UK’s electricity is generated. It’s not hard to find out what percentage comes from what source. Then you’d be able to answer your own question instead of expecting someone else to do it for you, wouldn’t you?

mac12:
Been reading on another forum that Tesco has 8 dedicated trains a day so before I reply anybody have any idea how many truck loads Tesco send out each day just to compare, it must be in the thousands.

I don’t know the answer, but an interesting question.
But here’s another question, why did you ask a perfectly valid question in this forum when you must know you will be trolled?

fivetide:

mac12:

I don’t know the answer, but an interesting question.
But here’s another question, why did you ask a perfectly valid question in this forum when you must know you will be trolled?

Sometimes you hope that you get a sensible answer.

mac12:

Bloody good too. We should have more trains doing the trunking runs. Makes perfect sense. If BR hadn’t been so arrogant maybe we would have.

Worked out of Tesco’s Livingston yesterday. By 7.30pm we were dropping trailers off for the RSU (recycling unit) as they’d all ■■■■■■ off home including their gobby shunters at 6pm.

Meanwhile us drivers were still delivering the goods…

Tesco Livingston sends stuff out to the whole of Scotland and it is sodding big.

Olog Hai:

Well it’s not hard. Must of theirs I think have around 20 odd boxes on the back. They go Crick to Coatbridge FLT amongst other routes and it would be primary distribution for onward road trunking to Livingston (Stobarts I believe, some Russells). From there consolidated secondary distribution into the stores frozen/chilled/ambient.

If they hadn’t moved to rail that’s more trucks stuck on the bloody M6/M74. Asda do stuff by rail too. Some to Inverness.

Olog Hai:

They can say it takes lorries off “a” road, such as the M6 or the A9. There are still going to be road vehicle movements at either end, such as between Mossend and Livingston and between Inverness and the stores, but I think some of the movements at Daventry are short enough to be made by shunters.

DRS are now mainly using the new bi-mode class 88s on the Daventry to Mossend service, but even a class 66 or 68 going to Inverness is more efficient than 20 HGVs.

raymundo:
Tesco have a railhead in Inverness where the boxes are transhiped onto trucks for onward delivery. There’s also an unused railhead near Wick as not enough traffic to warrant running a train there, bit of forward thinking there, not !!

Safeway used to run boxes to Georgemas Junction, but they would only have about three or four at a time for their Wick and Thurso stores, which didn’t seem very efficient by the time you need one or two trucks and a reach stacker based there.

Georgemas is still used for the pipes that go to Subsea 7’s fabrication yard near Wick, with variable frequency, depending on their workload.

66104 Inverness Millburn Yard by David Ross, on Flickr

And there is the new DRS secure railhead for loading nuclear flasks, which has actually been quite busy in recent months.

13 hivized to death herberts standing around with their hands in their pockets doing absolutely nothing except watch a crane lift a container onto a truck.
i cant imagine how productive itl be encouraging trucks onto the railways in the future.
tosco,stobarts,and asda are the only beancounter outfits that could accept that work procedure. way to go the railworkers. no wonder britain went right down the toilet for production years ago…

Glen A9:

raymundo:

Safeway used to run boxes to Georgemas Junction, but they would only have about three or four at a time for their Wick and Thurso stores, which didn’t seem very efficient by the time you need one or two trucks and a reach stacker based there.

Georgemas is still used for the pipes that go to Subsea 7’s fabrication yard near Wick, with variable frequency, depending on their workload.

66104 Inverness Millburn Yard by David Ross, on Flickr

And there is the new DRS secure railhead for loading nuclear flasks, which has actually been quite busy in recent months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajKFaha-U5s

Glad to see it now busy, haven’t been up that way for a few years now since my ticket expired in 2012