Tesco doncaster carr

200 drivers to be made redundant in 90 days. Eddie Stobarts to take over contract.BBC local news.South yorkshire Times

Here is one of the the articles.
It’s been a long time coming but was never in doubt.

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/local/drivers-to-ballot-for-strike-action-over-tesco-contract-handover-1-4798030

Regards,
Nick

MORE than 200 supermarket delivery drivers have been told they will be out of a job by Christmas.

Drivers at the depot in Middle Bank, at Doncaster Carr, had been warned to expect the cuts after their contracts were transferred over to haulage giant Eddie Stobart last month.

But last night all drivers at the depot were told in 90 days they would be made redundant.

One close friend of a driver, who asked not to be named, said: “They are all absolutely gutted.

“All these guys know how to do is drive and there aren’t that many jobs out there at the minute.

“They are getting some redundancy money, but that’s nothing when you think some of them have worked there for more than 20 years and know nothing else.”

The Free Press understands Union Unite, which represents the drivers, will hold an emergency meeting on Saturday, to discuss the plans.

The Union had already sent out ballot papers to take industrial action over job threats before the latest announcement had been made.

southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/ne … -1-4903677

It seems the only vehicles that will be based there are going to be the shunt tugs! :open_mouth:

Same old Stobart ruthless as ever.
Stobart’s have got to big to quick and i think its only a matter of time before the bubble burst’s.
Tesco are crazy putting all their eggs in one basket.
Take a look at this article

Feel sorry for the Doncaster lads.
Middleton depot went through the same thing a couple of years ago when they shut it down and transferred everything over to that abomination of a depot at Widnes

I cant see many Doncaster drivers wanting to travel to Goole, and they are pretty desperate for drivers there, every agency in the area is trying to get blokes to go, and failing miserably, it strikes me there is fundamental problems there, is it attitude to drivers?, I have worked there via agencies in the past, but given a choice would go somewhere else first, the walk from the car park to the office is a trek in itself if you have a dicky knee.

bet channel 5 wont be mentioning this little gem in their new series of truck and trailors… or is it stobarts ■■■■■■■■ on the little guy?

moomooland:
Stobart’s have got to big to quick and i think its only a matter of time before the bubble burst’s.

Middleton depot went through the same thing a couple of years ago when they shut it down and transferred everything over to that abomination of a depot at Widnes

I know this has been asked before but if ES went ■■■■ up tonight, is there enough capcity in the industry to take up the work?

Blunder Man:

moomooland:

I know this has been asked before but if ES went ■■■■ up tonight, is there enough capcity in the industry to take up the work?

or would some other super haulier just pick up where stobarts left off?

This may be harsh but they’ve partly brought this on themselves, I’ve worked out of there and drivers spinning the shift out and making over £45K a year! how long is that going to last? Don’t get me wrong I feel sorry for anyone out of work, its a shame its come to this!

Are some drivers not getting TUPED

moomooland:
[/quote]
Too big too quick? It’s not as if they’ve popped up from nowhere overnight and gone straight upto 1000 wagons is it?

xfmatt:

moomooland:
[/quote]
Too big too quick? It’s not as if they’ve popped up from nowhere overnight and gone straight upto 1000 wagons is it?
[/quote]
Thinking the same thing. I think he is behind and soon will catch up

Look on the bright side people, one mans loss is another mans gain somewhere somehow, it’s all a good thing because it’s creating opportunities elsewhere that tesco didn’t provide especially for young & new drivers, when was the last time somebody got set on full time? It’s heavily manned by Agy apparently which means the work is there , look @ the £££ being offered by ADR network on their site to get bums on seats(if the jobs are real on Agy of course)

As I have understood it, the drivers have been tuped and are now being made redundant. The only vehicles that will be based there will be shunt tugs. The deliveries will be done by stobarts existing infrastructure.
I can’t see this working myself, I understand that to be they are going to run vehicles from deliveries to collect a trailer from donny then go off and do the store delivery.

It can be done, 5 sites less than an hour from it I’m told(sherburn, Leeds, Newark chill, Sheffield & goole). If they can run daventry sites with no motors based there then why not Doncaster…!?

Stobbart…love em…or hate em…theyre in business to make money, so they have everything under control, know what theyre doing, otherwise they wouldnt do it…would they !..They havnt got this far without good planning, diversification, and good old Eddie who started it , I really cant understand all the knockers, but i guess thats the thing with brits, they really dont like to see a company succeed, Who slags off TDG who are larger , than stobbie will ever be, but have lasted just as long, maybe longer.
Any company who survives a recession, and grows year after year, i take my hat off to, the company i work for is the same, buying up smaller companies, enlarging, putting them under one umbrella, albeit we are not a transport company, we are a fruit company at the core, but at least we have something to supply, and not to just transport, neverless its the same, and good job to all and sundry who are trying to survive in these difficult times.

Note: i am even doing my bit for the industry, by sunning myself over here in bulgaria, and giving an agency driver a chance to earn a few quid. :smiley:

Tesco are pulling the strings behind the scenes in all this let’s not forget, all the rest are just being used as puppets…!

Pimpdaddy:
It can be done, 5 sites less than an hour from it I’m told(sherburn, Leeds, Newark chill, Sheffield & goole). If they can run daventry sites with no motors based there then why not Doncaster…!?

Frozen is treated the same as ambient when it comes to planning store delivery trailers from stock. Chill is a different beast altogether and a lot more time critical. A frozen or ambient trailer can stand forever with no unit to deliver it whereas a chilled one cannot wait whilst Mr Planner in a depot far away says on the phone “he will be with you in 30 minutes” when he has run out of time in the local services/truckstop.

mickyblue:
Thinking the same thing. I think he is behind and soon will catch up

When i referred them getting to big to quick i meant in the Tesco contract sector They have come along with their cheap quotes for running the depot contracts and have put many drivers out of work.
Its ok saying they are a great company but at what price for the drivers and warehouse staff.
The pay, terms and conditions Stobart offer are pathetic in comparison to what Tesco’s own drivers and Wincanton Tesco drivers were on but hey ho you get a nice shiny new motor to drive.

If they only paid £3 an hour i guarantee you would get some of the younger end applying for a job there only In the last fortnight i have signalled to two of Stobarts running out of Goole to pull over on the M62 running with their tail lift left down obscuring all their lights, that’s the kind of in-experienced driver they are recruiting nowadays but as they say you pay peanuts …