Tax Discs

Reading my Advanced Driving magazine today and in the question and answer section it stated that there are currently 1.3 million untaxed vehicles in the UK costing us £217 million per year. Untaxed drivers are also likley to have no insurance or MoT for the vehicle and this is costing the law abiding motorist £30 per year in extra annual insurance.

Don’t they automatically issue a fine if you don’t renew your taxdisk?

Last time I renewed for some reason It wouldn’t work online so I had to go down to the post office.
Disk was issued but they didn’t update the records properly so I got the automatic fine come through (£90 I think it was)

I sent a copy of the disk back to them and they sent an apology.

Alex

The 1.3 million bit refers to the number of cars not taxed, but not sorned either.
It’s a bit cheeky to infer that they are all being used on the road just to back up a departments over inflated ego and importance.

No insurance? Well you can hardly blame them when the fine is less than the average yearly premium can you. I think we are the mugs sometimes. It should be a minimum £1000 fine, 12 months disqualification and if they bleat about being on social etc, take all their weekly money until it is paid… Treat them as bad as they do Truck drivers!

There are also a vast number of cars in the UK bearing foreign number plates that have been constantly here for more that 12 months. None of these have the tax/mot/insurance of their own country (where applicable) and can’t have the UK version either, however, the local police have been told not to get involved as this is classed as a sensitive area.

cant send them a fine because more then likely they havent been reregistered under the owners address.so previous owner will get it through the post :unamused:

anpr is a good deterent as long as the force has a seize on site policy, which i think most have. take the cars off them and crush um says i :sunglasses: :smiley: .

jon

£1000 fine?!

Still less than my ruddy premiums! you try being a 22 year old and having a car insured these days, its only a 1.2 Hatchback for gods sake…and that’s including the 4 years no claims!

Alex

Sorry Scarab, bit behind the times.

You know how they keep telling you your premium will go down?
First when you are 18, then 21, then 25, then 40 etc, etc.

Just hit the 50, and for the first time… it has actually happened.

(But now just got a gixxer thou and not had a policy for 30 yrs for a bike (Been racing, track day instructor etc), but always had them on my traders policy, so no doubt my education will be completed soon :open_mouth: )

As Jon says I have seen in my job cars that have not had the ownership changed and therefore when they are untaxed the fine goes to the old owner.

West Yorkshire Police have a brilliant idea if the car is not taxed or insured or motd they cease it and then if you dont pay up in somany days the scrap it - a recovery driver was telling me they picked up a 14 month old X5 the other week!!

The police station on the waterfront at Liverpool displays the cars they have seized on the corner.

Nearly new a lot of them!

I was delivering to a store in the middle of the fens the other day when one of their young members of staff came in to work. He had just passed his test the day before and was now driving his pride and joy, a 1989 (H reg) 1.0 Metro. It had cost him £100 (and you could see why), but the insurance was £110 per month :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

£1320 a year!!! You can see why the youngsters aren’t bothering to insure their cars.

P.S. He is about to fit a stereo in it that he picked up for a tenner. That’s going to add 10% to it’s value :laughing:

Just bought my little sister a 1.4 Metro, she hasn’t passed her test so she is on a provisional.

Got her insured on the car for £600 and she doesn’t even have a license.

I’ve been driving for 4 years, never had a crash, my car is less powerful - YET My insurance is more than double hers!

A big thing on insurance for young people is the car value, if the car is valued at over £4k then it instantly doubles the premium.

Anyway, I’m not going to rant about it any more, just something we’ve got to put up with because of all those unimaginative chav’s driving their “modified” Saxo’s and Corsa’s that look like they’ve been covered in glue and then driven through halfords.

I don’t see the point in that… yet show me a set of nice light bars and a big chrome vertical exhaust stack and I’m going :wink:

Alex

don’t forget to mention the little blue dashtop lights there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Strange about the value making such a difference. I would prefer to insure someone 3rd party in a expensive car as they are not going to want to wreck it, but a £200 banger…wouldn’t want to know that one.

You know how they keep telling you your premium will go down?
First when you are 18, then 21, then 25, then 40 etc, etc.

Just hit the 50, and for the first time… it has actually happened.

Mine went down when I hit 50, but no doubt when I reach 60 it’ll start to go up again. At present I pay £245 fully comp with european recovery, I bought the vehicle new last year for just under £20k so I would say thats pretty good value. I’ve been with the NFU for years and would recommend them for anyone between 30 and 60 years of age, they’re not to keen if you’re outside this age range :smiley:

where are you lot getting your insurance? :open_mouth:

i got a quote on a £13,000 EVO 6 last year. the lowest i got it down to was £1,000.
now im paying £300 for a £3,000 mitsubishi galant (2.0 petrol)

try this broker. they are good. changing cars and need the insurance docs to tax the new one? i called them regarding that on a friday afternoon. i had my insurance docs on the saturday morning, car taxed and legal by noon. free protected no claims (2 claims in 5 years)
ckinsurance.co.uk/

My insurance would go up by £60 a month if I put my 18 year old provisional licence daughter on it BUT it goes down when I put my wife who is also a provisional licence holder on it - go figure… :confused: :confused: :unamused:

Get a crap car! I pay £92 fully comp with breakdown, etc., etc. :smiley: :laughing:

ROG:
…BUT it goes down when I put my wife who is also a provisional licence holder on it - go figure… :confused: :confused: :unamused:

That’s because the insurers’ think that a married man is more responsible…apparently.

macplaxton:
That’s because the insurers’ think that a married man is more responsible…apparently.

Well, I did only father the one child… :wink: :wink: :laughing:

DoYouMeanMe?:
The police station on the waterfront at Liverpool displays the cars they have seized on the corner.

Nearly new a lot of them!

And some still have their wheels on! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

re NFU premiums.
got a quote from them, recommended by a friend and they were £105 dearer than present policy for a discovery TD5.
Happy with Adrian Flux brokers at £296

RE JONBOY .

anpr is a good deterent as long as the force has a seize on site policy, which i think most have. take the cars off them and crush um says i .

TV showed police in manchester or Liverpool last week using ANR and they stopped and confiscated womans car for no insurance, database was not up dated and she had insurance but car taken away anyway.
just as well it wasn’t crushed eh? :smiley:

just in passing, when i first started driving commercials , the company I drove for had NO insurance at all, perfectly legal though!
Any suggestions why?