tarmac quarrys

tarmactipper:
Hi any drivers out there who used to run out of Tarmacs Bankfield quarry in Clitheroe? I have been running out of there for the last 20 years as a relief driver for the owner drivers,but alas the glory days are long gone, only gory days now!!! They only mix coated products and stopped quarrying stone 3 years ago. I think by new year it could close so i have started researching about Bankfield and would like anybodys pictures or memories about the quarry,

Hello tarmactipper, I never took any loads out of bankfield but I took plenty in with this wagon.

Plenty of them on my thread tarmac. :confused: :unamused:

Why the undecided and roll eyes smilies? Thought you wanted pics of the lorries that ran from Bankfield?

They can easily be removed.

BonkeyDollocks:
Hi Tarmactipper and welcome to the board. I’m an avid Tarmac wagon enthusiast and have been since 1974 when old enough to ride shotgun in me old man’s AEC when he worked out of Topley Pike for Tarmac. Love to see fresh pics of old khaki beauties from back in the day so if you have any could you please upload them onto here?

As for Bankfield quarry, me dad did a few weeks up there in the mid to late 70s working as a fitters mate when they were dismantling a crusher. He’s told me of the fleet they had back then a couple of which I show below.

It’s a great shame that such a busy quarry is on it’s last legs; only producing the odd load of black. The place seems to have gone the way of Caldon Low quarry not too far from me. That place imports stone and only makes coated as well. They have a huge new tar plant as well so it seems daft just to run it on and off but I guess the market dictates how busy it is.

On with the pics. The first two were taken in the 80s while the bottom two in the late 70s.

PS. Click the links to see a couple more tippers that operated at Bankfield:

flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 7028472647

flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 7028472647

Keep posting the pics Bonkey, I always enjoy looking at the wagons you put on.
Cheers Dave.

Thanks Dave. I tend to not post many these days, time constraints amongst other reasons.

Will endeavour to put more on as and when. :slight_smile:

Yes Bonkey keep em coming can’t get enough of TIPPERS.

Hello Chaps,
Bank holiday weekend so we did a bit of cleaning get some of the sticky bits of tar off like ya do.

019.JPG

021.JPG

015.JPG

001.JPG

BonkeyDollocks:
Why the undecided and roll eyes smilies? Thought you wanted pics of the lorries that ran from Bankfield?

They can easily be removed.

why the undecided and roll eyes ■■? thought you wanted pictures of wagons that ran out of bankfield ?

SO WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM WITH MY PICTURE OF A WAGON THAT I USED TO DRIVE THAT I USED TO TAKE STONE INTO BANKFIELD WITH ? AND WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO EASILY REMOVE MY PHOTO ■■?

Tarmac Scania in Rochdale

I have to admit that much as I despise Tarmac (or whatever they call themselves this month) the present livery is the best they have had in my opinion. Smart and clean, reminds me a little of the Bardon/Agg Industries colours, I just wonder how long it will be before a new ‘wizz kid’ decides that yet another revamp is required! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
I have to admit that much as I despise Tarmac (or whatever they call themselves this month) the present livery is the best they have had in my opinion. Smart and clean, reminds me a little of the Bardon/Agg Industries colours, I just wonder how long it will be before a new ‘wizz kid’ decides that yet another revamp is required! :wink:

Pete.

• 1 Pete, another way of making a few quid making all the subbies pay for the decals which cost Tarmac pence and those lads pounds!

pete smith:

windrush:

Pete.

• 1 Pete, another way of making a few quid making all the subbies pay for the decals which cost Tarmac pence and those lads pounds!

BLACK MORRIS COMMERCIALS !

Tony

Well before my time Tony, I’m still a young man don’t you know! :open_mouth:

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

Pete they were between Matlock Bath and Matlock not far from Mrs Tinti’s.But I just thought that they were Derbryshire Stone.They bought their vehicles from Brownhills

Tony

windrush:

Pete.

Could never understand why they decided that lorries carrying sticky black stuff should be painted white?

Steve

windrush:

Pete.

remember the black morris commercials ? i drove the flaming things when derbyshire stone sold them off . does that make me old pete ?

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

remember the black morris commercials ? i drove the flaming things when derbyshire stone sold them off . does that make me old pete ?

Certainly does Dave! :wink: They would be long gone when I arrived on the scene, 1975, there were still a few vehicles in Derbyshire Stone blue and white around at Cawdor though, mostly Fodens or Leylands, but Tarmac would be operating them by then I reckon. I’m not sure when Tarmac actually took them over?

Pete.

windrush:

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

Certainly does Dave! :wink: They would be long gone when I arrived on the scene, 1975, there were still a few vehicles in Derbyshire Stone blue and white around at Cawdor though, mostly Fodens or Leylands, but Tarmac would be operating them by then I reckon. I’m not sure when Tarmac actually took them over?

Pete.

Pete I think there is one of these Morris Commercials on the Vintage show scene

Tony

tarmactipper:
Hi any drivers out there who used to run out of Tarmacs Bankfield quarry in Clitheroe? I have been running out of there for the last 20 years as a relief driver for the owner drivers,but alas the glory days are long gone, only gory days now!!! They only mix coated products and stopped quarrying stone 3 years ago. I think by new year it could close so i have started researching about Bankfield and would like anybodys pictures or memories about the quarry,

Some working in and around Bradford

Barry/Gloves

and yes I know they are not all Tarmac liveries, but still delivering the stuff, one certainly from Bankfield, others running out of Skipton Rock and Leeds