tarmac quarrys

Hi tarmactipper,
There is a thread on the photo forum with tarmac tippers,loads of pics from various quarries,you might find some from your area on there.
Cheers Dave.

Hi TT
The best lads to ask about this are BonkeyDollocks and TARMAC if anyone will know or have photos its got to be one of them two.OH and welcome to trucknet. :smiley:

Is that the quarry that was once operated by HOROCKSFORD LIME Tarmactipper, it used to be a really busy place? Heard that Tarmacs Dene quarry at Cromford Derbys might be closing as well, sign of the times I guess. :cry:

Pete.

Hi Windrush Horrocksford Lime was owned by Horrocksford themselves than later Tarmac used the plant until that to was closed and demolished :frowning: Tarmacs Bankfield quarry is next to the Hanson EX CASTLE EX RIBBLE Cement quarry although now all the quarrys merge in to one big hole. About 3/4 years ago a new quarry manager decided that it would make sense to take out the quarry crusher,and 3 dump trucks and replace it with mobile Finntec crushers, and then have a plant hire firm run the whole thing using Moxys and 360,s. Last year they pulled the plug on that, to expensive to run!!! and now have stopped crushing fullstop. Only coated products are made now and all the stone is imported from Skipton Rock using mainly Websters of Skipton or the owner drivers in Clitheroe. When i first started in Bankfield there was 25/30 subbies and 15 Tarmac OD,s and about 3/4 thousand tons a day running sometimes 24/7, 7 days a week the lad i drove for sometimes handed over to me at teatime on a Monday and between us the wagon never stopped until Sunday!!! Now last week Clitheroe dispatched 80 tons :imp:

Hi Tarmactipper and welcome to the board. I’m an avid Tarmac wagon enthusiast and have been since 1974 when old enough to ride shotgun in me old man’s AEC when he worked out of Topley Pike for Tarmac. Love to see fresh pics of old khaki beauties from back in the day so if you have any could you please upload them onto here?

As for Bankfield quarry, me dad did a few weeks up there in the mid to late 70s working as a fitters mate when they were dismantling a crusher. He’s told me of the fleet they had back then a couple of which I show below.

It’s a great shame that such a busy quarry is on it’s last legs; only producing the odd load of black. The place seems to have gone the way of Caldon Low quarry not too far from me. That place imports stone and only makes coated as well. They have a huge new tar plant as well so it seems daft just to run it on and off but I guess the market dictates how busy it is.

On with the pics. The first two were taken in the 80s while the bottom two in the late 70s.

PS. Click the links to see a couple more tippers that operated at Bankfield:

flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 7028472647

flickr.com/photos/roadtransp … 7028472647