Tarmac madness?

Worked this Saturday ended up doing Two loads of tar. Same place 27miles away, Handlay :open_mouth: 1st load 8ton of base. 2nd load 8 ton of topping :unamused: ON A 8 WHEELER!!! Is this Tarmac distribution going mad ? they could of put both loads on as a spilt tip :unamused: the gang had to wait 2.5hrs for me to return or is it just me thinking out of the box.

You could have got that on a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Transit.I guess that you are not paid to think.

No pal, its just tarmac for you. I once had took a load from a tarmac quarry to a feed mill app 2hrs away, only to find that it wasnt ordered for that day, they told me to go back to the quarry to change the tickets then take up to another feed mill less than 10 mls away from the original job. :unamused:

It isnā€™t just Tarmac, I had an call when I was doing a day for RMC with a six wheeler to call at their Staveley plant for an urgent twelve tonne load to Thoresby Hall, I took six Tonnes and the six wheeler that followed me in took the other six! I also was called in one afternoon to do another ā€˜urgent loadā€™ for Leeds, just loaded it and the call came through that it had been sent from another plant so it got put down the tip and I went home with a wasted afternoon and no money. :cry:
I suppose it depends how the OPā€™s load was ordered, there may have been an hours gap between laying the base and the topping, but that load would have gone on a six legger in my day though axle weights would have gone out of the window! :blush: Still it found you an extra load and at least you would know your way there! :unamused:

Pete.

As long as you got the rate for an eight wheeler why worry.Use less diesel with eight ton instead of twenty.
Cheers Dave.

Is it a quality control issue? Mixing the base coat with the top would be like me doing a split load of pea shingle and building sand; No ā€œblockerā€ in the body means the sand would be only good for pebble dashing :laughing:

Muckaway:
Is it a quality control issue? Mixing the base coat with the top would be like me doing a split load of pea shingle and building sand; No ā€œblockerā€ in the body means the sand would be only good for pebble dashing :laughing:

This ^. Ok if the jobs for a small firm doing someones drive where it can go unnoticed but for most jobs split loads are a thing of the past. Iā€™ve probably only done about 2 split loads in the last 4 years.

Years ago I have gone to a job with a load of toppings only to be told the base coat hasnā€™t arrived yet.Had to wait for that to arrive and get laid and rolled before I could tip.No waiting time then either.

Muckaway:

We just used to put a sheet between but I suppose HSE has kyboshed that nowadays! :confused:
Used to do a lot of split loads in the past, I used to take 10 tonne of 6mm tarmac and 10 tonne of 10 mm tarmac to a firm in St Clears South Wales from Derbyshire, had to get the old ā€˜Spear and Jacksonā€™ out at their yard or sometimes I took a rake with me to pull it out as the yard was unmanned!

Pete.

I used to hate split loading when I drove the shovel; 5t on the front and 5t on the back of a 4wheeler ffs :unamused: :imp: Farmers were terrible for wanting split loads, Iā€™ve had rare-ups with them as a shovel driver and as a lorry driver. I delivered to one out Buckingham way who wanted 11 tonnes of ballast (on the front) and 2 tonnes of shingle on the back. No way was I carrying all that on the front, quarry and office werenā€™t happy but what could they do once I quoted ā€œAlf N. Safetyā€ and mentioned axle weights etc? :laughing: Farmersā€™ face was a picture though and surprise surprise Iā€™ve never been back there :wink:

Forgive me if this seems a stupid question but having never done Tarmac or similar work I dont knowā€¦Can you not have tipper bodies with an internal partition door like the ones in bulk blower animal feed trailers/8 wheelers?

toowise:
Forgive me if this seems a stupid question but having never done Tarmac or similar work I dont knowā€¦Can you not have tipper bodies with an internal partition door like the ones in bulk blower animal feed trailers/8 wheelers?

I think TNUK member NeilB has them in some of his wagons. Downside is you need a loader/tractor with a small enough bucket so the material wont spill into the next compartment. Most quarries wont let you get into the back to sort a load anyway.

toowise:

Years ago they existed, usually only four wheelers though. Builders yards had them and The Coal Board also used them for delivering the miners coal allowance, I watched one at Grimesthorpe village and they had about 4 divisions in the body of a D series Ford and used to open one at a time to drop the coal outside each house! He soon rattled it off while I was sitting there waiting to tip tarmac one morning back in the 1980ā€™s!

Pete.

Muckaway:
. Downside is you need a loader/tractor with a small enough bucket so the material wont spill into the next compartment. Most quarries wont let you get into the back to sort a load anyway.

a good operator can load with a normal bucket ,you just use one side :wink:
but then you don,t very often load tarmac from a shovel , it comes from a hopper and its easy

options utilityā€™s have a few 4 wheelers with a midway gate in them

d4c24a:

Muckaway:
. Downside is you need a loader/tractor with a small enough bucket so the material wont spill into the next compartment. Most quarries wont let you get into the back to sort a load anyway.

a good operator can load with a normal bucket ,you just use one side :wink:

I used to load pickups/small trailers in the same way, dodging wheelbarrows, bags of cement etc. Saturday mornings when it was generally people with car+trailer thinking they were going to build the Severn bridge over the weekend, I liked to drive our Volvo L120 instead of my 970 or the L160; Smaller bucket and just the right length for loading transit tippers (a bit boring though loading shingle on artics once the weight went upto 44t mgw) :laughing:

You have to look at the bigger picture.

fuse:
You have to look at the bigger picture.

Widescreen? :laughing:

They are trying to keep the base and topping seperate - else the contractor could get the area defected - and this could mean rather a large fine for the contractor, especially if they are working on the highway. Its to do with how you would stop the two lots of material potentially getting mixed when you started to tip.

Bigger picture?? May be Lafarge :astonished: LOL

No chance, Europe has put the spoke in that.Anyone that can not make Tarmac a profitable company must be poor ,with quarries all over with planning , tar ,concrete plants and a second to none transport fleet all easy interconected and the name TARMAC what an advertā€¦laugh,arge who are they.