Tanker work (food stuffs)

I’ve recently been offered some tank work doing food stuffs (tomato sauce) and the money on offer is too good to turn down. Now I’ve not done food stuffs before so who can tell me what’s involved and the usual procedures for loading and tipping?

Do you have to get the tank cleaned out each time? If so, is that a job for a tank cleaning company or does the driver have to open the tank up and get inside with a jet wash etc?

Basically, is it clean or messy work and what are the hardest parts to it?

:sunglasses:

Loading and Tipping: Usually all you do is reverse up to the load/discharge point and some bod comes out from the factory and hooks you up. You then only have to open the valves on your tanker and most importantly MAKE SURE ITS VENTED SO IT DOESN’T IMPLODE and they’ll pump it out. The time it takes depends on the product. I can pump out 20 tonnes of skim milk in just over 20 minutes but 11 tonnes of condensed takes about 40.

Bit different when you come to pumping out yourself and the company you’re at will show you how, but if your unit hasn’t got any PTO gear on it, you won’t be.

Cleaning:
It’s called a CIP. The tank has to be cleaned out between different products and also within 24hrs of being loaded for foodstuffs. You’ll find a document holder somewhere on the trailer with a CIP logbook in it.

You don’t clean it out yourself as you’ve described. Basically the tanker has a T shaped pipe in the barrel with a perforated ball on each end which is attached to piping leading to a connector on the outside of the trailer somewhere. This carries high pressure hot water/steam/citric or nitric acid washing solution. The place where you wash it out will hook it all up for you and set the process running. All you need to do is ensure that the CIP valves are open, the discharge valves are open and that the barrel lids are closed but the tank is vented to stop it exploding. If you’ve a tanker with more than one compartment then even if some of the compartments haven’t been used, you still clean them at the same time as the used ones. You must make sure the CIP logbook is filled in.

It’s a clean job if you take care with what you’re doing. Mostly it’s a drive there, reverse to where they tell you, find bod, open valves, sit and wait.

Nice one Conor!

ROB K without training before going out alone
then sorry its a no no,you are dealing with edible
food products and if you are not given the correct training
then how the hell can you do the job,the tank when doing
scopa has a set down procedure to follow WHEELNUT
will come on and perhaps explain, NOW you are going to say
WHY all the bother,Because if the tank is in any way at all
dirty from an other product,or dirt inthe tank ,its outlets ,pipes
etc etc, you have will either not get loaded,oryou will
contaminate the load and also if it gets put into the customers
products ,these as well,and this can be very costly,
THESE are just sme points as driveing tanks is
completely differant from driveing a trailer or tipper
every jobhas its own rules and regs andways of working
these need to be learnt first before attempting to do the job

IF they train you and do it properly which needs time not just a day ot two
try a minimum of 3-4 weeks and even you are not perfect ,as each load has it own points that require attention. and the driveing style is one that has to be taught as a tank or a liquid s container handles very much differant as a trailer.

i will not attempt to explain about the unloading or loading procedures as they differ from tank to tank,and container aswell plus some firms teach one method and some one else will do it their way,
YES IF TRAINED AND TRAINED CORRECTLY;

brit pete:
ROB K without training before going out alone
then sorry its a no no,you are dealing with edible
food products and if you are not given the correct training
then how the hell can you do the job,the tank when doing
scopa has a set down procedure to follow WHEELNUT
will come on and perhaps explain, NOW you are going to say
WHY all the bother,Because if the tank is in any way at all
dirty from an other product,or dirt inthe tank ,its outlets ,pipes
etc etc, you have will either not get loaded,oryou will
contaminate the load and also if it gets put into the customers
products ,these as well,and this can be very costly,
THESE are just sme points as driveing tanks is
completely differant from driveing a trailer or tipper
every jobhas its own rules and regs andways of working
these need to be learnt first before attempting to do the job

IF they train you and do it properly which needs time not just a day ot two
try a minimum of 3-4 weeks and even you are not perfect ,as each load has it own points that require attention. and the driveing style is one that has to be taught as a tank or a liquid s container handles very much differant as a trailer.

i will not attempt to explain about the unloading or loading procedures as they differ from tank to tank,and container aswell plus some firms teach one method and some one else will do it their way,
YES IF TRAINED AND TRAINED CORRECTLY;

Yes Pete thanks. I know how to drive tankers fine, both with baffles and without and also the basics for loading and unloading. I’ve just never done food stuffs before, hence the questions. :slight_smile:

ROB K ,i have been been doing tanker/container/silo for
the last 21years and every load is different weither it is
choclate,gulcose,softenol, phenyol,argon,oxygen,nitrogen
helium, acid,each transport method is different and that goes with
the loadinging and unloading,SO i will say again you need to be trained
before doing the job alone, unless the firm has that good insurance
policy ,each product has its own perculiar idiosyncrassy as regards
its behaviour,no matter that you have driven tanks before■■?

IT is the correct and legal way to operate as you have to be passed fit
as a tanker operator before operating alone;

Conor is right up to a point. If it’s dairy work then it will be CIP, but if it is foostuffs then you will be going to tankwashes. The firm will tell you where to clean out as many have specific washes and procedures they use. Generally speaking, the wash will ask where you are loading next and will then know what he needs to do. They will issue you with a certificate. Always try to get a 2nd copy of this then you have one for the loaders and the delivery point.
At the wash, they will put sprayers in your tank and wash it out. You won’t need to do anything more than open the lids up and get your hoses out ready for cleaning. If the tank needs to be sealed then you may have to put the seals on but someone will tell you.
Loading will depend on what and where you are loading. They may load through the top, in which case the bottom valve needs to be closed, or they may load through the bottom in which case a lid need to be opened to vent.
You may be expected to put the pipes on but always ask them to check that everything is right before you load/unload. That way, any ■■■■ up is down to them. There may be a part of your delivery notes that asks the customer to sign that the tank is
1 Clean
2 Connected properly.
Most food places have their own pump, but you may be expected to pump it or blow it yourself.
Pumps are rotors driven by PTO or electricity. Depending on the product you should try to keep engine RPM at around 900. Too fast and the pump will knock and shake, too slow and you’ll be there forever.
I would imagine tomato sauce will be a bit of a pain. You’ll have to balance it right. If the pump is shaking the truck then you are creating vacuums and it needs to be slowed down a tad. Also, vent the top of the tank before you open the valve.
If it’s a blower load then it’s easy. Connect the blower line to the tank and fire up the PTO. My old truck had to run at 1300 RPM for the blower. Make sure the vent into the tank is open but that the vents out and lids are closed. Build pressure up to 2 bar then open the valve and let the load go. The pressure will drop away but you always want it to be around 1 bar or above if you can. When you are empty, the delivery hose will start to bounce like a snake. Close the valve for a few seconds, then open and close it again quickly 2 or 3 times to clear your line. Leave the valve shut but make sure that you bleed the air out of the tank when you are empty.
The job can be messy, but good overalls take care of that. Make sure you keep your feet dry as the washes get really wet. It’s good work. I always enjoyed it.

if its tomato sauce then itll be under scopa they should give you at least one weeks training to get the basics also you may have to go out with a senior driver to make sure you know how to handle the truck tthis is usually for insurance purposes.

I had to do this when i worked for a subby at cargills also i was given 2 weeks training on blowing and pumping loads and also loading proceedures at each cargill depot. as well as unloading a major clients sites under the whatchful eye of an experinenced driver . it not all driving most of it is loading and unloading proceedures

alix776:
if its tomato sauce then itll be under scopa they should give you at least one weeks training to get the basics also you may have to go out with a senior driver to make sure you know how to handle the truck tthis is usually for insurance purposes.

I had to do this when i worked for a subby at cargills also i was given 2 weeks training on blowing and pumping loads and also loading proceedures at each cargill depot. as well as unloading a major clients sites under the whatchful eye of an experinenced driver . it not all driving most of it is loading and unloading proceedures

Hells bells, I missed out there. Cargills were a major customer for me. I think my training consisted of practice and asking what I didn’t know. To be fair, every place is different and their procedures vary so cargill training wouldn’t necessarily suit. Not sure that tomato sauce would come under SCOPA. It’s not an oil base and there are loads of foodstuffs that SCOPA won’t touch.
Rob K. Ask the people offering the work.

Thanks for the insight, very useful chaps!

I think tom sauce does come under SCOPA as they have SCOPA logos/stickers etc on the plate at the back.

Rob K:
I’ve recently been offered some tank work doing food stuffs (tomato sauce) and the money on offer is too good to turn down. Now I’ve not done food stuffs before so who can tell me what’s involved and the usual procedures for loading and tipping?

Do you have to get the tank cleaned out each time? If so, is that a job for a tank cleaning company or does the driver have to open the tank up and get inside with a jet wash etc?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: not another job :laughing:
what hapened to the 48k a year self employed, i’m my own boss, work when i feel like it and everyone else is a mug, setup■■? :laughing:
ffs, are you right in the head?

Yep, stickers are a clue, but that doesn’t mean much in itself. My tanks had SCOPA stickers and books, but I bet the SCOPA work only made up 5% of the total. SCOPA is the Seed Crushers and Oil Producers. I carried mustard down to France and that wasn’t SCOPA, but Europe doesn’t recognise SCOPA anyway.
If it’s SCOPA work then it’s more trouble than it’s worth. PM me the details. I can see what I can find out. Is the firm the large Wakefield company with white trucks and several Polish drivers?
It may well be SCOPA if it is going to an Oil plant or food factory where they use oils from SCOPA. The product itself probably isn’t but will go in the book as a buffer load at least.
Reckon it will be a mess to wash out but will smell good and you can always carry a gallon jug to collect some for your lasagne! I used to do lots of fresh juice. Hardly ever need to buy juice then.

bob i was on the yellow banana

paul b:

Rob K:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: not another job :laughing:
what hapened to the 48k a year self employed, i’m my own boss, work when i feel like it and everyone else is a mug, setup■■? :laughing:
ffs, are you right in the head?

It’s self-employed and they’re happy with the rates I said I’d do it for (more than what I’m charging now), so what’s your problem jealous legs?

Double post.

:laughing: are you on drugs? :laughing:
surely theres not a firm left in west yorkshire who’ll give you a job, are you planing on moving?

paul b:
:lol: are you on drugs? :laughing:
surely theres not a firm left in west yorkshire who’ll give you a job, are you planing on moving?

:confused: I can get a job at any firm anywhere with the exception of Archbold’s who tried to [zb] me over.

I think you’re the one on medication fella, once again inventing fairy tales which you can’t substantiate. :unamused:

Double post.

really? if i remember rightly you were fully booked up from here to eternity two days ago, now your sat at home asking the same old “i’ve been offered some work ,” crap we’ve had for the last two years!
you’ve had more jobs (or been “offered” more jobs) in the last twelve months than some job centers advertise in a year!
you need to keep off that wacky backy my friend or at least get a decent memory.

paul b:
really? if i remember rightly you were fully booked up from here to eternity two days ago, now your sat at home

And the problem with that is?

I don’t start while 2100, fool.

You really are excelling yourself this week in making yourself look extremely stupid. I don’t think there’s been ONE thing that’s come out of your mouth about me that’s actually been true. You really should just give it up Paul. No, really. :bulb: :unamused: