Tanker work (food stuffs)

rob, you bend over backwards to make your life an open book, then expect people who use this and other forums, to forget what you posted last week or last year!
sorry to say some of us have actually got a grasp on reality and can think back beyond yesterday.

sorry, nearly forgot
HAVE A GOOD NIGHT :laughing:

paul b:
rob, you bend over backwards to make your life an open book, then expect people who use this and other forums, to forget what you posted last week or last year!
sorry to say some of us have actually got a grasp on reality and can think back beyond yesterday.

I’ve no problem with you quoting me from previous posts, but you don’t, you make stuff up as you go along and try to make it look like I’ve written it when I haven’t, and that’s what [zb] me off about you.

sorry, nearly forgot
HAVE A GOOD NIGHT :laughing:

I will :slight_smile: . Off to Brackmills again tonight :sunglasses: .

tenner an hour? don’t spend it all at once! :smiley:

The replies on this post worry me quite a bit. I must have been doing it wrong all these years.

Every job I have ever done on tankers is different, CIP, (in place cleaning) is used mainly on dairy tankers carrying the same commodity every time.

Scopa is only used for carrying edible oils and is used by the Seed Crushers as a way of stopping the cowboys loading refined soya bean oil on top of grade 6 tallow or nuclear waste.

In almost 25 years, I have never had some bod pop out and hook you up, every delivery point is different, every product is different, every tanker is different. It also helps if you know the cleaning procedure. cleaning latex with hot water makes life easy :stuck_out_tongue:

putting cold water on molten maleic anhydride is fun too

If you are tipping tomato sauce, imagine what it’s like to pour onto your chips. and you cant turn the tanker upside down and pat it’s bottom.

I have just had some intensive training because I have changed units and have a different discharge system to before.

Some products are discharged by gravity, some by pump some by compressor, some are top discharge, some are vacuum, some are tipped with inert gas, some with compressed air, some with inhibitors to stop explosions.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I am learning something new every day, sometimes I learn more than one thing.

That is before you get into the different regulations governing pressure vessels, working at height and contaminating water courses.

Believe me, tipping product like tom sauce is not going to be fun. Mustard took a while using blower and pump. Cleaning it afterwards was a nightmare and venting the air out after tipping made everyones eyes water for 500 yds around.
I had the same Drum PTO gear on all my trucks and they were all Renault B9 or B18s so that made life simple. You are exactly right in what you say, but if he takes the job on and is specifically instructed on procedures to be followed then there is no reason for him not to be fine.
The main places where you got hooked up for loading or tipping were in dairys or in food factories where they used boom pipes, but there were others, too.
As for SCOPA. they will never truly stop the cowboys, as you know, because providing the tank is washed to spec when the book is new and is signed off by the washman there is no real way of knowing the truth, is there?

For the record, I never let tallow in my tanks. I know of at least 4 companies in the UK who did and I shall, as doubtless you will, keep that info under my hat. I did the job as best I could and lost out at times because there were things I would not do.

Wheelnut:
CIP, (in place cleaning)

Thanks Malc, been waiting for you to come along and explain that but then you said:

Scopa is only used for carrying edible oils

and let me down :open_mouth: :confused:

So what is Scopa then? :confused:

As you may know this is not my area of expertise, wish I’d tried it years ago, sounds fun, but wouldn’t even consider it at my time of life.
My head hurts nearly as bad as reading the thread about drivers’ hours, which I did have off to a T. Not anymore though :unamused: :confused: :cry:

Now Paul B, you are being very naughty when everyone is being so nice to Rob. Behave. You’ll get the diary in due course :smiley: .

Wheel Nut:
If you are tipping tomato sauce, imagine what it’s like to pour onto your chips. and you cant turn the tanker upside down and pat it’s bottom.

This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time, It created a vision that has me LMAO
Thanks Malc :wink:

Go for it rob…and good luck …its already been quoted on here as to what the job entails…basically…vent the lid of the tank/compartment first…then screw/connect the hoses at the outlet…and turn on/pump…via the p.t.o…
at the wash station…only open the lids…the rest is done by the wash station…dont forget to wash the hose…scopa…is merely a record of previous products that has been in the tank…and must be signed accordingly…for example i used to load oil…and they wont load it if milk/juices etc have been in the tank previously or any alcohol based products…i`m sure you know most of the job anyway…just keep us informed…

Danke Danke ,ein tausend, mal dankeschön WheelNut

Thanks Thanks; A THOUSAND TIMES THANK YOU WheelNut

by the way i just wanted to add i hate driveing MSA orPSA ; WheelNut
as we have to unload ourselves at 90% of the customers
when we are driveing these loads,

David. SCOPA

Seed Crushers and Oil Processors Association.

They invented a log book to record every load but as Bob the dog said it is widely abused. Its only used in the uk and is supposed to stop contamination.

Mainly in Europe all the cleaning stations are linked by computer now so a check can be carried out on a tank to see the last 4 or 5 products that have been carried. Not all stations do this but the customers do stipulate which stations we can use.

I am tipping Cocoa tomorrow and that normally involves scraping the last 2 tonne out before leaving the factory

I loaded that out of Southern France to Lindt in Aachen once. 13 tonnes of it. No heater so 13 or so hours to tip. Got there late in the day but they set it running and blew the top off the filter. 2 tonnes set rock solid in the bunding which had to be dug out before finishing the tip. Took hours to clean out. Glad I didn’t get the bill.
Are all the PB cleaners actually logging it properly now then? I really can’t see there being uniformity throughout Europe. There are too many differences.
As for abuse, it simply makes a mockery out of the whole thing. But if a tank is clean, it’s clean.

paul b:

Rob K:
I’ve recently been offered some tank work doing food stuffs (tomato sauce) and the money on offer is too good to turn down. Now I’ve not done food stuffs before so who can tell me what’s involved and the usual procedures for loading and tipping?

Do you have to get the tank cleaned out each time? If so, is that a job for a tank cleaning company or does the driver have to open the tank up and get inside with a jet wash etc?

Basically, is it clean or messy work and what are the hardest parts to it?

:sunglasses:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: not another job :laughing:
what hapened to the 48k a year self employed, i’m my own boss, work when i feel like it and everyone else is a mug, setup■■? :laughing:
ffs, are you right in the head?

48k thats got to be a wind up hasnt it :question:

Wind up■■? work it out

48,000 divided by 50 (weeks) =£960 per week Divided by 5 (days) = £195 per
day. or £160 over six days. That works out at £1 per brain cell per day if my maths is correct.
No I stand corrected, after reading through his last posts I’m sorry i got that wrong, its £2 per brain cell

daneinter:
Wind up■■? work it out

48,000 divided by 50 (weeks) =£960 per week Divided by 5 (days) = £195 per
day. or £160 over six days. That works out at £1 per brain cell per day if my maths is correct.
No I stand corrected, after reading through his last posts I’m sorry i got that wrong, its £2 per brain cell

no my sums are 48k - 19k= -29k i think i need to work out how to emigrate from lincs to yorkshire and quick :wink:

bobthedog:
I loaded that out of Southern France to Lindt in Aachen once. 13 tonnes of it. No heater so 13 or so hours to tip. Got there late in the day but they set it running and blew the top off the filter. 2 tonnes set rock solid in the bunding which had to be dug out before finishing the tip. Took hours to clean out. Glad I didn’t get the bill.
Are all the PB cleaners actually logging it properly now then? I really can’t see there being uniformity throughout Europe. There are too many differences.
As for abuse, it simply makes a mockery out of the whole thing. But if a tank is clean, it’s clean.

Thats the problem Bob, some are squeaky clean, (pardon the pun) and others are still a bit backward but the handwritten Reinigungs Attest is no longer accepted :stuck_out_tongue:

We have to use the PB site in Meer even though our tanks have been cleaned properly in one of our depots. the customer stipulates that, maybe a case of little brown envelopes :smiley:

Not all ways true it may be that the firm which will
be loading you has had so many problems from
vehicles that have not been cleaned correctly, IN
Neuss is a food factory and they stipulate that you
must clean out in their cleaning station or you will
not be loaded. Also the cleaning stations are
becomeing stricter as to what exactly they will clean
out where as before you got your tank cleaned out
by high pressure hose in some certain places even
if it was Phenol for example, now if you can not show
your freight notes they will in many cases say no way
unless the firm sends a FAX WITH THE DETAILS
of the last load ,which will then be kept in case of
problems later,

Thanks Malc for that Scopa info. Too late to be any use to me in this life but I do like to know what happens elswhere :wink: .

Talking of contamination of loads, I remember being somewhat shocked as a seafarer at taking coke (the dirty black nobbly variety) from Germany to Argentina and backloading grain to Tilbury with only a gang of us ‘fine’ sweeping the hold in between.

Could this be where that nutty bread comes from :question: :open_mouth:

brit pete:
Not all ways true it may be that the firm which will
be loading you has had so many problems from
vehicles that have not been cleaned correctly, IN
Neuss is a food factory and they stipulate that you
must clean out in their cleaning station or you will
not be loaded. Also the cleaning stations are
becomeing stricter as to what exactly they will clean
out where as before you got your tank cleaned out
by high pressure hose in some certain places even
if it was Phenol for example, now if you can not show
your freight notes they will in many cases say no way
unless the firm sends a FAX WITH THE DETAILS
of the last load ,which will then be kept in case of
problems later,

And the little Greek guy who does the cleaning in Neuss takes at least 2 hours for each tank, we do customer collect from Walter Rau so we can clean at our own depots to save time, although the cleaning is good in Neuss and the water is extremely hot.

Malc do you also load out of THYSEEN ,this is just
before RAU,s main entrance, as for RAU,s cleaning
station yes it takes long but is good,

i have not been there for a very long time due to
our firm no longer pulling for RAU when HAMMELMAN
was the House transport company ,The firm I work for
used to have some lorrys in there as well but they left
and we was pulling out of KLEVE, as well as some factorys
down by mannheim,weisbaden,

brit pete I loaded ice-cream at a factory in Neuss for Naples. They wouldnt let me use the wieghbridge on exit. Got to German /Austrian border for the Brenner & got blocked by the Austrians on their weighbridge for 3 ton over the top. They sent a German cop over to accompany me while we went under the autobahn to return to Germany. they didnt know what to do. So I parked right outside their cabin with the fridge running & went to sleep for the night. Lovely kip. Woke up in the morning & the cops had turned the fridge off. I asked them what the crack was & they said I had to return to Nuess to unload the 3 ton. Schlepped back ,took off a few pallets then had a blazing row with the goons to get weighed on exit. I could have taken the train from Ingolstadt but I was working for an Italian company who were a bit dodgy with dosh. They didnt have an account/ & they didnt know about the train… :laughing: