Tall Tales

Been on a course today, 8 hours in a classroom, FML

Heard some cracking stories…

1. If you have a baby on board sign in your car window, you should remove it when not carrying children as the police will spend “several hours” searching for a child if you have an accident and they don’t find a child.

2. Truckers have a very high rate of testicular cancer due to the fact that they fill up with diesel without wearing gloves, then they “handle their balls” as they go into their pockets to get money out to pay.

3. Bloke there who had a job as an international talent scout for premier league football team, jetting round the world signing up talent, but didn’t like it so decided to become a truck driver instead.

Roll on tomorrow

I’ve heard the second one before but it was mechanics. Dirty oil can be a cause of cancer, that’s why mechanics all wear gloves now.

beats having to talk about what the content of the course. Most boring 8 hours possible usually taught by someone who only has a theoretical understanding of truck driving.

Police will and always do search for a child if there is a ‘baby on board’ sign displayed in a vehicle window and the collision was a major incident. That’s just common sense and good procedure. But the search won’t go on for hours.

a World Health Organization (WHO) are warning that diesel exhaust fumes are a “major cancer risk” and belong in the “same deadly category as asbestos, arsenic and mustard gas. It also states that diesel fumes are “definitely a cause of lung cancer”.
But that’s as far I can go with a simple search for any evidence to diesel and cancer.

Last one, who knows. I’ve heard a lot worst.

I think you need a challenge for tomorrow!

See how many you can shoehorn in… Ask, innocently about the winding handle one, I guarantee you the instructor will tell you it’s true. Nod in agreement, then ask them under which part of the law does it specifically fall :laughing:

Number 2 is plausible…

My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer a few years ago…

He was a ‘shift oiler’ before he retired.

A few years before retirement, out of the blue, everyone was suddenly issued with new overalls - even if you had just got new ones weeks - even days earlier.

But all the pockets and slots on these new ones where you could get into the pockets of your trousers underneath had been stitched closed!

Have since heard similar stories regarding bladder / testicular cancer link…

Goldfinger:
Number 2 is plausible…

My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer a few years ago…

He was a ‘shift oiler’ before he retired.

A few years before retirement, out of the blue, everyone was suddenly issued with new overalls - even if you had just got new ones weeks - even days earlier.

But all the pockets and slots on these new ones where you could get into the pockets of your trousers underneath had been stitched closed!

Have since heard similar stories regarding bladder / testicular cancer link…

In college, that was drummed into us in the first day of our 3-year course. Used engine oil is indeed a carcinogenic, and pockets full of oily spanners will lead to a bawbag covered in it :cry:

Probably true regarding the diesel thing but I’m still pretty sure the main killer is the ■■■■ coming out of the exhaust(particulates). As we are exposed to them quite a bit I suspect they are what will kill us. :laughing:
I know they have gone a long way in recent years to reduce it with filters/adblue but it’s still pretty bad and when I was on agency I would often see vehicles with DPF warnings on. Mainly because they get left too late to regen and bosses don’t wanna fork out to fix em.

The reason Tacho rules are 4.5hours driving is that truck tyres blow out at around 4 hours 45 m8nsdriving without a rest :smiley:

bugcos:
The reason Tacho rules are 4.5hours driving is that truck tyres blow out at around 4 hours 45 m8nsdriving without a rest :smiley:

Bet you didn’t know that the driving period is reduced to four hours non stop if you’ve got cross plys on the front?

bugcos:

I understood it that only happened when trying to catch the Herald.

idrive:

1. If you have a baby on board sign in your car window, you should remove it when not carrying children as the police will spend “several hours” searching for a child if you have an accident and they don’t find a child.

The driver might be the baby if he (or she) self-identifes as a baby. This is no laughing matter.

Number 2 doesnt make much sense as how many petrol stations do you know where they’ll let you fill up a truck before presenting the card?

Thus you give them the card, then fill up, take card and put it back in the little slot in the dash or on the keyring without usually putting hands in pockets.

Personally i think its the ones who have a scratchy ball break while at the pumps who are at risk! :open_mouth: (My appolgies to the ladies on the forum for that image).

If you dont want cancer, you can always get dermititis off the diesel which looks pretty nasty.

I wont show this thread to the missus as she thinks I got a safer job than the asbestos one. We’re all doomed Captain Mannering, all doomed… :wink:

theres plenty on here with qualifications that blow number 3 right out of the water. ( apparantly).

Emergency crews obviously are going to be looking for a child if they see that sign, but that search will only continue within reason. Ie if a body can’t be found that can be saved and whatever is left is reduced to body matter they aren’t going to continue searching at that time. It’s just a recovery operation at that point. They are looking for a body and life they can save, which in something the size of a car isn’t going to take hours.

How did the second day go?!

For my part, I heard the “cops came and coned off the bay” one, for the 2457th time yesterday… I must look brand new :laughing:

Twas in an RDC waiting room too, just for added authenticity. Any chance CSI Trucknet could pin down the rough time this one started? It’s gotta be at least 7 or 8 years old now.

Drempels:

For my part, I heard the “cops came and coned off the bay” one, for the 2457th time yesterday… I must look brand new :laughing:

Twas in an RDC waiting room too, just for added authenticity. Any chance CSI Trucknet could pin down the rough time this one started? It’s gotta be at least 7 or 8 years old now.

It’s amazing isn’t it. A few months ago I was in Asda at Doncaster if I recall correctly, having a major delay (6 hours). I got chatting to a bloke from a nearby depot and he was funny, and seemed alright, we were belly-laughing at stuff over a few cups of coffee. But then he began telling me a story of a time he got stuck on a bay, and you can guess the rest, it had the chalk and two coned off bays either side, and everything, as if there’s a template for these tales somewhere. It killed it for me.

I might start one myself, and begin with running out of time on a bay, threatening to call vosa, then actually calling vosa, but instead of chalking my tyres and coning off a bay, they arrest me for going over 15 hours, and it ends with tea and biscuits with the traffic commissioner lol. But keep a straight face and remain adament that’s what happened.

ezydriver:

Drempels:

It’s amazing isn’t it. A few months ago I was in Asda at Doncaster if I recall correctly, having a major delay (6 hours). I got chatting to a bloke from a nearby depot and he was funny, and seemed alright, we were belly-laughing at stuff over a few cups of coffee. But then he began telling me a story of a time he got stuck on a bay, and you can guess the rest, it had the chalk and two coned off bays either side, and everything, as if there’s a template for these tales somewhere. It killed it for me.

I might start one myself, and begin with running out of time on a bay, threatening to call vosa, then actually calling vosa, but instead of chalking my tyres and coning off a bay, they arrest me for going over 15 hours, and it ends with tea and biscuits with the traffic commissioner lol. But keep a straight face and remain adament that’s what happened.

How strange, same for me! The fella was alright, quite chatty and seemed normal, so instead of doing my “gotta make a phone call” routine, I chilled out and spent the time of day with him. Next thing, bam! He starts with the cone story! :open_mouth:

Was annoyed with myself for letting my guard down, usually I can spot them a mile away :laughing:

It goes like this… One upon a jackenory,

If I hadn’t of been late finishing my winter survival course in northern Russia, with the legion, I would have been on the ferry, in time to make it to Belgravia and do my bit on the balcony with the lads.

I will not say too much until the week is out…
But there are two “ex forces” there and they have been feeding off each other and it’s not pretty, especially when paying £500 for the privilege of sitting through it :unamused: