Taking the plunge

Hi all
I am hoping you can help me or point me in the right direction
I’ve been a silent member and currently work for a waste company thinking of setting up general haulage on my own for some time and even contacted some members here who were quite helpful
I initially thought of getting brand new tractor units on lease but now feel it’s better I aim for vehicles that are late 2008-December registered or early 2009 on one year hire purchase so if anyone has links or deals in used 6x2s that are under 650k Kms let me know? Reason behind this is I can cushion any losses in the investment by selling the unit overseas after 1 year should I need to
Now I am not expecting to become a millionaire and I don’t expect the truck/s to be my main source of income as I will keep my day job and let drivers manage the trucks best they can I say this because I am thinking of getting into bed with the dreaded maritime but for my position they currently offer better peace of mind given my day job commitment having looked at just them and win canton again if any of you know other companies that can help me and pay frequently enough provide fuel card and trailer it will be helpful
I also please need information on where in Southampton I can park the trucks and also how much would that cost also the ■■■■■■■■■■■■ to allow an o licence application - spoke to sheppards in marchwood they want 250/month per truck so trying to find somewhere similar cheaper

If you can help me I’ll will be indebted to you for your advice.
I currently own and family operate on my behalf 3dafs in kenya but haulage over there is a totally different game compared to here but I am determined to if anything give it a good crack as I know if I keep my expectations real I just may be that one in thousands who didn’t try and failed…

Once again thanks in advance for your help

Kind regards
Mohsen Hasham

from what i have heard shepards are one of the most expensive but it might be worth trying them again as they have just lost all the SCL parking and this week lost the OOCL parking as well (both went belly up) it might be a lot cheaper but you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else in southampton unless you know of a small yard you can tuck yourself away in?

Cheers for that info Lee! Sheppards is mainly ticking boxes for me due to their location and I may be taking up scheduled maintenance /6weekly checks with them so hoping this with the stuff you just told me would help get me a better deal -cheapest I got quoted was a yard in Portsmouth £50/week for parking and allows o-licence registered there.

got a 55 reg magnum 44t for sale 860,000km full test on her and ill leave the tax on her if she sells quick (june),

shed loads done to her over the last 2 years getting her to my standard new ra,d new header tank, new disc and pads front and rear 16mm on the drive tyres, new heater blower, new exhaust

most of the mork carried out at rh commercials

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Thanks Burnley need a motor thats Dec08 onwards Kms to be 600 ish down to 450-500 if 2010 truck :smiley:

Thought I’d update things here my tm that I was relying on to push o licence done early fell through I now have just sat my exam yesterday and expect to pass and get my cpc feels annoying have to wait now till the certificate comes then submit o licence application that’s 7 weeks waiting for operator cpc then wait 9 weeks for o licence!
Have also been in discussions with some more container companies -goldstar and dub haulage they had interesting things to say to me in terms of work available and guaranteed earnings.

Need to get tyre contract/breakdown support set up anyone got any recommendations please?
Cheers

Well hasn’t it been a while!
Update:done cpc and passed :slight_smile:
Finance parking and maintenance sorted
O licence applied for 1st June -May get interim
Trucks finance sought found agreed and signed
Trucks being prepped at Man dealer
Fuel cards organised
Tyre support contract set with ATS
Tacho/digi card reader tool and software organised
Insurance happening waiting for driver details…
Now looking for 2 drivers

Personally I would have had the drivers lined up first, you are going to need two very very good lads who you need to trust 100%…

These do not drop off trees, or, answer adverts on Gumtree :open_mouth:

You will need to install trackers on your vehicles, as you are not going to know what is going off, and drivers being drivers, they will organise their day/week to their advantage not yours…

This is normal human behaviour, and not a dig at drivers as a whole.

If they are from the satnav generation, be prepared for some hefty dodgy mileage, Ive got good lads, but I still need to reel them in on a weekly basis on new routes, as the satnav doesn't route them to my advantage, thats for sure :unamused:

Good luck, you are going to need it :wink:

Sounds to me like you are trying to do too much,do one job or the other and don’t be greedy or you will get egg on your face,it is virtually impossible to hold down a job for someone else and work for yourself at the same time,the jobs will clash ,causing you big trouble.Pick one or the other.Running trucks and drivers don,t come cheap as doesn,t truck parking and maintenance. :unamused: :confused: :astonished:

Stanley and Shirtbox,
Really appreciate the comments trust me they bear weight with me.
I had lined up drivers twice but as couldn’t give them a start date their commitments waned off with the time.
Trucks will have track and telematics -looking at deals and costs ATM
The job I have is mixture of field and office based my boss is a good man and so far accommodating I cannot leave just yet not with 2units have a mortgage to pay and with revenues in the container game as they are I’ll probably quit my job when we are over 5 units. Once again guys appreciate the advice

Stanley Mitchell:
Personally I would have had the drivers lined up first, you are going to need two very very good lads who you need to trust 100%…

These do not drop off trees, or, answer adverts on Gumtree :open_mouth:

You will need to install trackers on your vehicles, as you are not going to know what is going off, and drivers being drivers, they will organise their day/week to their advantage not yours…

This is normal human behaviour, and not a dig at drivers as a whole.

If they are from the satnav generation, be prepared for some hefty dodgy mileage, Ive got good lads, but I still need to reel them in on a weekly basis on new routes, as the satnav doesn't route them to my advantage, thats for sure :unamused:

Good luck, you are going to need it :wink:

+1 on that

tracking youll not find anyone cheaper than these About Us | Vehicle Tracking Solutions | Pinpointers

are you going with maritime :open_mouth:

burnley-si:

I wouldn’t… :open_mouth: :unamused: :imp: :blush:

Stanley Mitchell:

burnley-si:

+1 again :grimacing: :open_mouth: might just make a wage as an o/d, but employing people to do it you will be luck to break even, when i spoke to them last year when they told me the rates lol told them id sooner just park it up :laughing: :unamused: im a business not a charity

burnley-si:

Stanley Mitchell:

burnley-si:

+1 again :grimacing: :open_mouth: might just make a wage as an o/d, but employing people to do it you will be luck to break even, when i spoke to them last year when they told me the rates lol told them id sooner just park it up :laughing: :unamused: im a business not a charity

Its difficult to cover your costs, never mind a wage with MTL :blush:

Purely down to their general incompetence, especially @ BIFT/#wideboycentral :blush:

Well hasn’t this been a roller coaster!
O licence was granted in full last week and just how relieved am I. I submitted application on 29th may!
Trucks now collected from dealers -we picked up second one yesterday and are now parked up at the yard.
One of them starts Monday and am glad driver took the time to go and get his box loaded ready for an early start for Monday.
Definitely not working with MTL.
Lost the second driver on Friday morning so back to looking for one driver as do not want to let an agency guy on the 2nd unit unless I have to.
Deciding to go with Mix telematics as they offer a good package for tracking telematics and remote tacho download- if any of you use the remote tacho with these guys any feedback is appreciated.

UK fuels sent me 3 different cards all of them price for next week 92.20/l

that’s the update and catch you all later. :slight_smile:

Great to hear that your licence was granted quickly, I’m just about to submit my application. Not so great that you lost one of your drivers before you even turned a wheel, let’s hope the next one is a stayer :slight_smile: I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with the telematics software, I find the whole analysis market quite confusing due to my inexperience.

Let us know how things progress and good luck!

Be interesting if you would come back after a month and tell us how it went after you have done the maths

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me!