Taking the plunge

Ha5ham:
Lost the second driver on Friday morning so back to looking for one driver as do not want to let an agency guy on the 2nd unit unless I have to.

Its started already and you’ve barely turned a wheel :exclamation: :exclamation:

You must have found some MEGA rates on the boxes as a new start EMPLOYING two drivers and having TWO trucks on finance :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:
Those 2drivers if out all week will be expecting min £550+ in bank per week :exclamation: :exclamation:

O/D trucking ain’t no “investment” more like perm heartbreak,
good luck but think your gonna need some strong tablets from the Doctor :exclamation: :exclamation: :neutral_face:

Moose:
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me!

+1

The qualification you’d need for having a crack at running a bit of clever dickery like this is a certificate of no experience in running trucks or employing drivers. I don’t like to knock for the sake of it but, I really can’t see this one. The guy’s got a bit of smarts about him as got the CPC no problem but think he’s lacking worldliness in a big way.

I’m also surprised they were ok, with the o-licence, for him to be TM whilst working another job.

And the boxes have gone a bit quiet aswell… :open_mouth:

I am sensing both your silent confidence levels in this venture as well as the honest pessimism . Truth be told yes getting abit nervy about 2nd driver but I half expected challenges and no I am not inexperienced in hiring drivers or running a transport business-as to this not being a money maker see my original post at top and you may spot the survival strategy and long term goal.
Boxes haven’t gone quite for me thank God so far so good also working on landing some other contracts that are away from boxes for the lean times…and yes drivers will be paid and I am probably paying more than other established firms in the container game but I want everyone involved to have a decent life out of this-it still is about profit but not the levels everyone is expecting.
Let’s keep helping each other with the comments good or bad builds our relation ship here and still educates me and thanks again guys.

Any updates,would love to know how it’s working out for you.

Hello folks
End of the month already!
Done the numbers so far and considering 4hours lost on breakdown -mainly waiting for slot at dealers it has been a good start and I am happy not to have made a loss certainly would’ve if trucks weren’t on warranty. Wether the good fortune continues is questionable as 2nd truck still doesn’t have a full time driver and the guy on it only does days- need a tramper so guys if you know one in containers Southampton I’ll appreciate the help.
Trying out kinesis track and telematics so far it’s ok but there’s better out there.
Got a new fuelcard supplier whose agreed 21day terms and surprisingly cheaper than my current supplier who I’m on weekly terms with so that should help cash flow.
Cheerios and thanks.

I’m glad its working out for you and hope you get situation with the second driver sorted out pretty soon…no point having a second unit sitting idle… doesn’t pay… never know soon enough you’ll be adding another unit…

Keep us updated… might come knocking on ya door for work… :grimacing:

I admire your determination pal. I’d love to become an OD but I don’t have your gonads. Good luck.

Well done, I admire your bottle.

I’ve been following this post for a while but only just registered on the forum so I thought I’d post.

I’ve been using various trackers for a few years, mainly the big boys. I’m currently operating one in a fleet of over 300 vehicles, not going to give the name away but to be honest I don’t think they are up to much, so don’t think that paying lots of money is going to give you better.

Good luck with the venture, enjoying the posts so keep updating.

scotlass:
be honest I don’t think they are up to much, so don’t think that paying lots of money is going to give you better.

I disagree with that, maybe the OP is looking for driver/drivers who are committed, loyal and who are going to stay the course and grow with the business, not someone who’s going to come in for a few months then off because they think they cot a better deal else where… you know the saying the grass isn’t always greener else where…

Personally I would much preferably want to work a small business, where there’s none of the BS competition crap with everyone trying to shaft the next man, everyone’s treated equal, not like these big firms where your just a number

Swampey2418:

scotlass:
be honest I don’t think they are up to much, so don’t think that paying lots of money is going to give you better.

I disagree with that, maybe the OP is looking for driver/drivers who are committed, loyal and who are going to stay the course and grow with the business, not someone who’s going to come in for a few months then off because they think they cot a better deal else where… you know the saying the grass isn’t always greener else where…

Personally I would much preferably want to work a small business, where there’s none of the BS competition crap with everyone trying to shaft the next man, everyone’s treated equal, not like these big firms where your just a number

I was suggesting the Tracking companies are all much the same. Even the bigger companies don’t always get it right!

Swampey I think Scotlas was referring to cost of tracking and i agree with the point as yes you could pay a lump of money for a heap of sh.t :smiley:
As far as drivers yes I need professionals willing to go the extra miles and be able to look after themselves and the growth of this business while I feel I offer the best wages in this sub sector i certainly hope to be working with the same drivers when we get few more grey hairs down the line …
My first driver -I think we have gotten off on really good footing and he will probably attest i am the most unusualy honest fair and straightforward person he has ever worked with.

Please keep the updates coming I am interested in how your business evolves.
I had my own company in Belgium and was running 5 units. I sold the company in 2005 before moving back to the UK. I worked here in the UK as TM for 3.5 years and decided to go back driving in January. I am contemplating buying my own truck, just a single unit instead of working as an employee.

Been following this post for a while but I’ve only just joined.

Really enjoyed reading your progress, Interested to know who you eventually found work through after you decided not to go through Maritime.

Any further updates?

Just read through this post & found it very interesting, I like your honesty & diary of events, I’m sure some people will find it very helpful.
Good luck on finding the right driver for the second wagon, there are some out there but not as common as the Chimps that seem to inhabit this game.

Gosh it’s a month since I last posted! If someone’s messing with the clocks and making em tick faster please stop!
Right business doing well have gained 2nd driver and he is Adr certified! Really nice chap and very hard worker has had the worst starts though and not his fault one with driver seat breaking -he assured me not some acrobatics with a mrs on the truck lol and 2 was a planners error sending him all the way to Manchester when he should have been to Northampton! That hurt me!
Have had the pleasure of 2 punctures both on trailers and one Monday lost as tuck went in for that seat. One driver is off 2days due to illness I am guessing this is where the real tests are starting for me.
My o licence has room for 1more and I am considering adding a third but the work I am weary about don’t want all eggs in just 2 baskets need a third basket that’s reliable so if any of you have long term work for traction give me a buzz we can help each other.

Right catch you all laters.

Ha5ham:
and 2 was a planners error sending him all the way to Manchester when he should have been to Northampton! That hurt me!

Why did it hurt you? Surely if it was tbe planners mistake they should pay for the mileage

Maybe it was his planner :slight_smile:

Hi Chaversdad, yes they should have paid but it’s human error if they pay me his boss will dock his wages -that’s worse to me so I swallowed so that his job and livelihood is saved also it helps me build confidence of the guy he can pick himself up after the mistake and he will probably be obliged to look after my interests through the jobs he routes us on :slight_smile: