Taking "c" test in 4 over 4 slap box

I think I read somewhere on here about 4 over 4 slap box in an old wagon being about the hardest way to pass the “C” test, but I don’t really feel worried about it, should I be worried ? test early DEC.
I mean how hard can it be (famous last words) :laughing:

Any old vehicle will not and cannot drive like a new one. BUT, a very well maintained older vehicle is absolutely suitable. Nothing wrong with a 4 over 4 slapover - provided it works properly. Some do, many don’t.

Given the choice of an old 4 over 4 slapover or a brand new auto, I know where I’d spend my money though.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you haven’t used any other type of range change gearbox its easy, but you will have fun when you get onto a type with a switch instead of a knock over. I did it the other way round, used a 4 over 4 with a switch to change between low/high and then went onto a ‘slap over’, could not understand why it kept dropping to low range 1st when i tried to move it out of 4th, slap to the right and look for 5th! But I soon figured out it has a shifting H pattern and the gears are centred differently low/high.

Takes about two days to get good with the gearbox under prerssure so hopefully you have a 5 day course, good luck and don’t rush the gears!

Me too Pete, first slap over i drove gave me a blister, bloomin french motors!

I have been funded for the driving so have no choice on where I would spend the money, and yes its the first range change driving I will have done, which I think is why I don’t feel so worried, how it performs remains to be seen, I guess its gonna need a little extra forward planning, and learn the bad habits and faults older vehicles have, at 50yrs old I passed my car test many years ago with a clean sheet making my instructor a very happy old man as it was his first in 30 plus years as an instructor, I know what is to be expected on the day, and hope the circumstances and vehicle let me deliver. thanks for feedback. great site, so much we newbies need to learn, and this is the place to find it.

We have made a firm decision not to go auto. The main reason is that we have never had a fail on gears. The 2nd reason is that with the major fail being roundabouts every auto I have trialled in the last 3 months are not responsive enough at the critical moment.

Today a guy called Dave passed with 6 faults despite, in my opinion gear changing being his weakest skill.

Perhaps I’m just too demanding.

Demanding is good! It’s the only way I know to ensure consistently good results. So you carry on demanding!!

BTW, next time you come to drink my coffee, take an Iveco auto out - no roundabout problems. Similar with the MAN. No issues. But these are the horror stories I was warned of. But when I test drove one I couldn’t find the “problem”.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

We too are sticking with man gearboxes, we run 4 over 4 range changes and don’t have too many problems with them on test day. The examiners don’t like autos and I have some companies that have said they only want drivers trained in man gearboxes.

Peter Smythe:

Demanding is good! It’s the only way I know to ensure consistently good results. So you carry on demanding!!

BTW, next time you come to drink my coffee, take an Iveco auto out - no roundabout problems. Similar with the MAN. No issues. But these are the horror stories I was warned of. But when I test drove one I couldn’t find the “problem”.

The last Stralis I drove (unit) had a great auto box. The MAN auto in a unit was a different beast entirely to the auto fitted in the 7.5t MAN we had. The one in the 7.5t was dreadful. The only fault with the unit was slow speed manoeuvres were very lurchy (not a word but you know what i mean)

I failed one test due to 8 faults :frowning: 5 of which were gears, I consistently failed to find 2nd 4th and 6th ■■ I was so bad at the gear change even though the rest of the test went pretty well the examiner asked my trainer to take the wagon out and try it himself in case there was a fault, there wasn’t . I booked a retest and was given some time (trainers own time ) going out and simply going up and down the box . my problem was trying to rush the change (nerves ? ) . I sat my test again and passed with 3 minors :smiley: . the answer is simple , take your time !!

LGVTrainer:
Today a guy called Dave passed with 6 faults despite, in my opinion gear changing being his weakest skill.

That’ll be me then :slight_smile: John is absolutely right, the gear changing was my weakest skill. I think we both agreed that many years of driving a car I was trying to change gears like I would in a car, far too quickly. Not letting the lever spring back to neutral before selecting the next and therefore missing the gear I needed, also when going from 7th to 8th letting it spring over and then getting 6th (oppps). But during the test not one missed gear and no minors for anything gear related!! Just take your time…

Dave

A truck gear box is not to be rushed, changing a gear should be done in 2-3 separate movements.

Do not rush a gear change a good instructor will get you to slow your changes down.

Perhaps I should do a video on a slap over box gear change.

Paul :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: Congrats to Dave :smiley: :smiley: , well done, and also thanks for some good advice and opinions on the pros and cons of other boxes mentioned, every little helps.

Tbf your instructor should not have you sat on the day of your test not fully competent to use the gear box,so if you have a decent instructor you have nowt to worry about.

I had a DAF CF with a 4 over 4 and splitter for my C+E kept struggling to get 6th. In the end, instructor suggested I try 5th. Sailed it

Sounds like it wasn’t in the best of health!

TROTSKY3:
I think I read somewhere on here about 4 over 4 slap box in an old wagon being about the hardest way to pass the “C” test, but I don’t really feel worried about it, should I be worried ? test early DEC.
I mean how hard can it be (famous last words) :laughing:

How hard? not very, after a bit! I felt exactly same when I turned up for artic training and thought cripes it’s slap over box. Fact is, any range change, if you fight it, they fight back! Don’t rush any gear change, and if you are range changing as well then take extra time. Nice and smooth! It’s pretty easy when you get used to it, particularly if the truck will pull away in 3rd. Then it’s just forwards for 3rd, then hard right, nearly let go, forward again for 5th, and treat it as a 4 speed from then on. Have a set routine for approaching roundabouts, for me, getting in 4th in plenty of time gave me time to think and plan. Don’t grip the gear stick tightly - ease it in one direction at a time.

When I passed, very next truck I drove was the “other kind” with a range change switch. That isn’t hard either, but again takes getting used to. This sort, the key is pre-selecting the switch in plenty of time, and realising that moving the neutral is when the range change happens. If you get it wrong, you end up trying to pull away in 5th, and some can be a bit difficult to get into low range once you 've stopped. So of the two kinds, I slightly prefer slap over.

Again, don’t worry, you will be fine after a few miles! The trainer will be expecting you to need some guidance and help getting to grips with it.

Best of luck with your training.

I too passed my c+e in a daf with 4 + 4 splitter box in 2006. Apparently now though most new trucks are automatic… Which is nice!

I was going to take my test in a 10 tonner with straight 6 speed box but it broke down as I was going to start my lessons, my trainer gave me the option of waiting while it was fixed, money back or taking an 18t MAN slap over. I decided on the MAN and to be honest, the first half hour or so was a bit of a pain but after that I got on like an house on fire and eventually passed first time with 2 faults, both mirror related.

I was driving a Mercedes-Benz tipper with a 4-over-4 slap-over gearbox this past week (they and Iveco use them; DAF, MAN and Scania use the switch type). I’d say avoid Mercs with manual gearboxes like the plague as their gearboxes are dreadfully stiff. They often have a mushy action so you can’t find the positions of gears quickly and easily, and the stiffness means you can hurt your shoulder doing so. Their six-speed manual boxes are worse, but the 4-over-4 boxes are pretty dire. You don’t want to use a truck that will make it easier to make mistakes. I’ve more than once been distracted or delayed when fumbling to find the right gear or it won’t go in.

However, the slap-over isn’t more complicated in its principles: when switching ranges you just have to knock the gearstick right for up and left for down. It should be easier as it’s one action, unlike flicking that switch which you can forget to do. However, it just so happens that manufacturers that make bad gearboxes make slap-overs.