Take extra care on the A66.Gipsy Gathering at Appleby

Starting at 0500 tomorrow morning (4th of June), the Appleby Fair kicks off. Those who have not travelled over the A66 in either direction before, while this event is taking place,are hereby warned that even from late this evening ,it is likely that there will be hundreds of caravans on the move, from both Scotch Corner, and Penrith end. They will be both motor and horse drawn. Take great care. All the laybys are likely to be full, so if you are anywhere nearing needing a break, do not plan to have it on the A66. Good Luck.

Wonder if those who do pull up in laybys on route will have their tanks emptied so the travelling folk can carry on their journey without stopping at petrol station [not like they stop at those much anyway]

There are loads of horse drawn ones out on the main road so be prepared to slam the anchors on!!! There have been fatal accidents during this event before on the A66. Take care everyone :wink:

at do they do on the A66?

If only I had a nuclear bomb

Giddyup :smiley:

Harry Monk:
If only I had a nuclear bomb

Always seems like a perfect oppertunity to call in an airstrike, :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

He doesn’t really live in that thing, he lives in a chromed-up eyesore like the rest of them. That is just the equivalent of you or me restoring a classic car.

I was across the A66 this morning and its pritty maxed out in/around appleby, lot of ■■■■■ around. Was actually going to put a thread up stating if a driver needing to park overnight on the A66 to do so away from Appleby as diesel could be going walkies. There horses dont seem to be tied down to great either, basically a bit of rope into a metal peg into the ground. ANyways take cares.

Harry Monk:
He doesn’t really live in that thing, he lives in a chromed-up eyesore like the rest of them. That is just the equivalent of you or me restoring a classic car.

I know that Harry. The reason it is shaped like that is because it is really a horse drawn diesel tanker :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
I know that Harry. The reason it is shaped like that is because it is really a horse drawn diesel tanker :smiley:

Yes, the time to worry is the end of the fair when they all have to get back to de land of de bogs and de little people

Fair warning: Do not let this thread degenerate into Gypsy/Romany stereotype slagging, The Appleby fair has been going on for 100’s of years and is part of the tradition in that area for all, including the locals. A fair warning that on the A66 there will be a fair number of horse drawn vehicles. and also that amongst the community attending they may be a few people who carry out criminal acts is ok.

designating everyone attending in a term they find derogatory and labelling everyone there as untrustworthy is untrue , uncalled for and will not be allowed on here

Rikki-UK:
Fair warning: Do not let this thread degenerate into Gypsy/Romany stereotype slagging, The Appleby fair has been going on for 100’s of years and is part of the tradition in that area for all, including the locals. A fair warning that on the A66 there will be a fair number of horse drawn vehicles. and also that amongst the community attending they may be a few people who carry out criminal acts is ok.

designating everyone attending in a term they find derogatory and labelling everyone there as untrustworthy is untrue , uncalled for and will not be allowed on here

I don’t think any of the posters were suggesting that “everyone there” is untrustworthy (at all at all)
What comes over, quite correctly in my view, is that the place will be full of ■■■■■/■■■■■■/Knackers (however you wish to describe that particular community) and history, both recent & ancient, acknowledges that the vast majority are as described in the above posts.

take care out there folks

apologies folks eu law now prevents us from calling them ■■■■■

u must refer to them
as

caravan utilising nomadic travellers

or [zb]

for short

pinched from posting on truckersworld

apologies rikki

The Romanys are the true Gypsie, very loyal and very trustworthy, I would sooner have a Romany friend, than a ‘normal’ person anyday…

As for the others, well… I would get banned for saying it :wink:

It may be tradition for the area, but take it from someone who worked in Appleby on and of for 3 and a half years. It is also tradition for half the businesses to shut up shop and board up for the duration of the fair! :open_mouth:

so whats the difference between the Romany and a Gypo

The Trotters’ view

• Century-old tradition that binds communities. Many trotters’ lives are steeped in the ‘sport’.
  • Trotters have a right to use public highways as much as car drivers.
  • Horses are well cared for by the trotting community.
  • Travellers are socially excluded from more prestigious, legal tracks.

The Opposers’ view

• It encourages illegal gambling. Thousands of pounds change hands at each race.
  • Innocent car drivers could be killed as horses veer across roads.
  • It is cruel as horses could be killed by vehicles or unregulated conditions.
  • Harness Racing is the legal form of the sport and enthusiasts can indulge this.

Wheel Nut:

Harry Monk:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i did hear that the gypsys have elected a new black leader

Nissan Van Dweller :smiley: