Take extra care on the A66.Gipsy Gathering at Appleby

renaultman:
Always seems like a perfect oppertunity to call in an airstrike, :smiley:

why bother … arn`t the warcop tank ranges en-route?

If I got the run/start times right, I should be going up the A66 tommorrow (fri) to Barnard Castle.

I`ll gladly drop any unsocialable folks off, who might decide to climb in the back of my truck, as my 1st destination is HMYOI deerbolt (to deliver), followed by HMYOI nothallerton (to deliver), then back to deerbolt (collection of empties), then down to HMP Wealstun at Thorpe arch/wetherby (collection of empties) … well at least I can let them choose their destination where they wanna get off :laughing: :laughing:

scaniaman2006:
take care out there folks

apologies folks eu law now prevents us from calling them ■■■■■

u must refer to them
as

caravan utilising nomadic travellers

or [zb]

for short

pinched from posting on truckersworld

apologies rikki

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coddy:
The Romanys are the true Gypsie, very loyal and very trustworthy, I would sooner have a Romany friend, than a ‘normal’ person anyday…

Thats a load of guff if ever I heard any.

[zb], wouldnt trust one as far as i can throw one!
they park down the road from the entrance at asda in carlisle, they get moved everynow and again and the mess they leave is just disgusting, they litterally live in their own filth. appleby should stop the yearly event as its ruining the nice little town!!

no comment.

Having travelled across the 66 many times when the fair has been on,I’ve never encountered a problem with animals on the highway,but the heads up by the HA is a good idea.Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Used to work with a guy who has relatives of gypsy stock,and he was telling me that it’s a massive event in the gypsy calendar,and money changes hands like you wouldn’t believe,and if you live in the village,then it’s amazing how many drives get tarmac laid down,and gardens are in tip top condition,as there seems to be an abundance of labourers and gardners…

Ken.

Woodland:
What comes over, quite correctly in my view, is that the place will be full of ■■■■■/■■■■■■/Knackers (however you wish to describe that particular community) and history, both recent & ancient, acknowledges that the vast majority are as described in the above posts.

Yes, if little old pink-haired ladies went around stealing my diesel I would hate them instead. Gypsies talk about people not understanding their traditions but they don’t make much of an effort to respect ours.

1. Most tips in most areas will turn away anyone they think may be a Traveller. So what the hell do you expect them to do with their rubbish? Have a look at the state of the permanent sites and I think you’ll find they are pretty ■■■■ immaculate.

2. Very few Travellers claim benefits, they are 99% self-supporting. Which is more than you can say for a whole lot of other scum.

3. There is a whole lot less harvest work out there since Travellers were run off the land in massive numbers and the Eastern Europeans filled the gap. Neither were taking jobs from the settled population, since the settled population ceased to consider 2 weeks on a hop machine to be an acceptable “holiday” long ago.

4. There are bad apples in every barrel. There are plenty of stinking, filthy, rubbish dumping, thieving lorry drivers who crap under trailers and leave ■■■■ bottles in the bushes out there, and the rest of us don’t like being treated badly as a result. The same goes for Travellers.

5. I lived on sites for a good few years after finding myself homeless due to a family breakdown. I learnt more about the basics of life there and about decent values and morals, as well as looking out for your own kind and having respect for others than I ever have since as part of the settled community. It is, IMHO, no more acceptable to say all Travellers are scum than it is to say all black people are stupid, or all council house dwellers (how many of you live in council or ex-council houses?) are scroungers. It simply isn’t true, and until you’ve seen and got to know these groups on there own ground you can only take a very generalised and biased view. I actually CHOOSE to park up near gypsies because, as someone with who has actually lived with them, I know they won’t crap on there own doorstep. Especially not if you make the effort to go and have a chat and see if they’ve had any bother. We’re all human, it’s just that society chooses not to see us that way - something that goes for Travellers and truck drivers alike.

6. If Appleby and it’s sister fair, Stow, were really so bad, they would have been stopped long ago. The laws are there to do it - the same laws that were brought in to kill off the free festival scene, another self-supporting, nomadic society which was ruined forever by incomers from the settled community who caused no end of trouble and got the decent people at the heart of the thing labelled as scum through no fault of their own. What people who were never involved fail to understand is the support some of these travelling groups provide to the settled economy - I was in Cornwall in 1996 when we all pitched up for the Daffodil harvest as usual, only to be heavily evicted (and I mean heavily, when they show up with ambulances you know it’s going to be messy) from our traditional meeting point before we had chance to disperse to the farm park-ups ready to work. The farmers showed up to hire people and found no-one there, and the police were forced to come across the county border (where they’d pushed us to) and bring us all back before the locals started a riot because their crops were ruined. Now, of course, it’s the Poles they are all moaning about.
    Some of the worst examples of police brutality ever recorded in this country have been perpetrated against Travellers of various types, the Battle of the Beanfield being the most famous case. I know people who were caught up in that and the scars are with them to this day. Hitler did some truly horrific things to the Travellers, too.

In general, people only taunt those they fear, and only fear those they don’t understand.

All I can say Lucy is that I would strongly caution anyone against parking in an area which is heavily populated by travellers and it is experience, not prejudice which makes me say this.

getting back onto the topic of the thread,got me thinking this week,whilst travelling over the "66,i have never seen so many police,checkpoints,fuel testing units,camera vans,cctv vans,in one week,than i ever see in a whole year.funny that.i would especially congratulate ■■■■■■■ plod and partners for pulling over “civilian” trucks and vans as well,to make it look like they werent targetting antyone in particular.

Christie Moore singing a classic - listen to the words.

Harry Monk:
All I can say Lucy is that I would strongly caution anyone against parking in an area which is heavily populated by travellers and it is experience, not prejudice which makes me say this.

I suspect the people of Melksham who are campaigning for the town’s lorry park to be closed and were pillioried on here for their views would say pretty much the same…

it isn’t nice to steriotype any race.
but it remains a fact that when there are travellers about, diesel goes missing.
not all muslims are terrorists, but i suspect them all. not all jews are good at maths. some germans have a sense of humour. some americans can shoot straight (ok, that ones not true)
not all truckers are dirty scum, but some are, and we are steriotyped by people. it’s just human nature.

people don’t get steriotypical views for no reason.

Very true, Phil. But the ones who get noticed and hence encourage the stereotypes to be created are always the few [zb]wits who stuff it up for everyone else. The stereotypes are therefore only accurate when applied to the “rotten apples”.

Stereotypes may be inevitable, but that doesn’t make them right.

Lucy:

Harry Monk:

I suspect the people of Melksham who are campaigning for the town’s lorry park to be closed and were pillioried on here for their views would say pretty much the same…

They’d be right then :wink:

Harry Monk:

i made my comments because ive had a really bad expierence with many of times now so i can only agree with harry on that!!

Lucy:

1. Most tips in most areas will turn away anyone they think may be a Traveller. So what the hell do you expect them to do with their rubbish? Have a look at the state of the permanent sites and I think you’ll find they are pretty ■■■■ immaculate.

asda in carlisle has recyling points, ive seen them leave orange gas cylinders lying around and all sorts of rubbish, they are for a max of 2weeks before they are moved on!! the thing thats gets me about that is thats its lazy, has no respect and as council workers are cleaning up after them, its us as a tax payer that has to pay for that service to clean up after them!! :imp:

Lucy, does the ‘travelling communty’ pay for road tax, mot, insurance?

Some do, some don’t, same as everyone else.

Funnily enough, the world famous Appleby Fair coincides with a rise in garden sheds being broken into, a huge rise in diesel theft, a rise in household burglaries and the huge increase in substandard tarmac gangs ripping local folks off.

I think it is admirable of the local authorities to put on extra police & security patrols to protect “The Travelers” from the thieving scumbags who frequent the area at this time of year.

I don’t see why, in a country that claims free speech, people can’t call a spade a spade. Every gipsy I’ve ever met (except one family) is a lying thieving piece of dodo and before any wonker on here starts gobbing off about making racist remarks, gypsies are not a race. The vast majority live a lifestyle of crime. Simple as that. They contribute absolutely nothing towards our society. As far as I’m concerned they should be locked up in jail paying for their keep in some prison workshop.

The one good traveler family I’ve met earns a living carving animals and birds out of lumps of dead wood they find, always keeps a clean site when they’re in my area and apart from some flattened grass, nobody would know they had been there once they’d gone.
Apart from that. Ive not got a good word to say about them.