Take a bow Sadiq Kahn

Just heard the ultra low emmision zone is coming into force inside the north and south circular, as of 2020. A £10 charge for pre 2015 cars and £20 for pre 2005 cars. Plus the congestion charge will remain unchanged. How did this clown ever get in? Up to £30 a day to get to work for certain people :unamused:

It may be presented as tackling air quality (and it will do something about it), but the other thing behind it is that congestion in central London has become unbearable, and if it is made more expensive/awkward to drive in to the centre, fewer people who have a choice will do so.

That’s fair enough in a way, but as anyone who has caught a commuter-type train into London in the morning peak and then tried to change for the tube will tell the mayor, there just isn’t room for any more passengers, and I feel sorry for those who are standing from as far out as Milton Keynes or Stevenage every day. Crossrail will help whenever it opens, but not if you’re coming in to Euston/King’s Cross/Waterloo etc.

The stated plan was also to bring the north circular-south circular ULEZ in during 2019, rather than 2020.

Olog Hai:
if it is made more expensive/awkward to drive in to the centre, fewer people who have a choice will do so.

Fewer working class people anyway…

Isn’t this a legacy of Boris Johnson’s time as Mayor?

The ultra low zone is, but he’s brought it forward and made it more stringent. When it comes in, anyone in a car older than a 15 plate will be stung :open_mouth:

Don’t go to London. Simple.

I don’t go to London, because everything I need or want can be had elsewhere. Simple.

Double post deleted.
Double post deleted.

OVLOV JAY:
The ultra low zone is, but he’s brought it forward and made it more
stringent. When it comes in, anyone in a car older than a 15 plate will be stung :open_mouth:

So you’re not against the ULEZ, just the timing?

OVLOV JAY:
The ultra low zone is, but he’s brought it forward and made it more stringent. When it comes in, anyone in a car older than a 15 plate will be stung :open_mouth:

Notice he’s left out the large Asian vote outside the Norf Circular in ‘Middlesex’. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: While it’ll do wonders for house prices in the home counties with all the London 4x4 etc owners wanting to move out. :laughing:

Carryfast:

OVLOV JAY:

Notice he’s left out the large Asian vote outside the Norf Circular in ‘Middlesex’. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: While it’ll do wonders for house prices in the home counties with all the London 4x4 owners wanting to move out. :laughing:

No mention of Leninist-Bolshevik -Federalist conspiracists? Just a bit of casual racism. .

muckles:

OVLOV JAY:
stringent. When it comes in, anyone in a car older than a 15 plate will be stung :open_mouth:

I’m against the fact he’s extended it from the congestion charge zone to include everything between the north and south circs. That’s a massive population and just a cash cow. On top of the most expensive housing costs in the country, the residents have now got to stump up upwards of 5k on new cars. Backward thinking from a so called progressive city

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

OVLOV JAY:

I’m against the fact he’s extended it from the congestion charge zone to include everything between the north and south circs. That’s a massive population and just a cash cow. On top of the most expensive housing costs in the country, the residents have now got to stump up upwards of 5k on new cars. Backward thinking from a so called progressive city

From the way I’ve read it affects pre 2015 euro 6 diesel cars or pre 2006 euro 4 petrol cars, and the 2019 introduction is for central London with the larger area affected from 2020, so by the time it covers the larger area it would be possible to have a 14 year old car and not be charged for it as long as it runs on petrol.

I’m wondering if it makes sense to launch a new taxi service using animals. :smiley: Cows could be fun. :laughing: But he’d soon introduce a methane tax I s’pose… :unamused: :imp:

the nodding donkey:

Carryfast:

OVLOV JAY:

Notice he’s left out the large Asian vote outside the Norf Circular in ‘Middlesex’. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: While it’ll do wonders for house prices in the home counties with all the London 4x4 owners wanting to move out. :laughing:

No mention of Leninist-Bolshevik -Federalist conspiracists? Just a bit of casual racism. .

No just a statement of demographic fact.Unless he’s changed his mind and included all of what was Middx and now Greater London which would be fair considering his demographic vote profile. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Sumsmeister:
I’m wondering if it makes sense to launch a new taxi service using animals. :smiley: Cows could be fun. :laughing: But he’d soon introduce a methane tax I s’pose… :unamused: :imp:

Oh no now you’ve done it.The reference to Taxis in this case could be considered as racist. :smiling_imp: :laughing: .

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:

Carryfast:

OVLOV JAY:

No just a statement of demographic fact.Unless he’s changed his mind and included all of what was Middx and now Greater London which would be fair considering his demographic vote profile. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

But aren’t those people just outside the zone affected as well as they likely to drive into the zone regularly?

Looks like my days of going into town are numbered. I’ve yet to drive a car less than ten years old.

Why not just extend the congestion charge to cover the entire interior of the M25 then?

It’s going to affect just as many people - but pushes down London property prices, which we always get told are due for a crash anyway.

All the time we’ve got a social security system that will pay a huge london rent - there will never be any real and meaningful wage boost to the masses.

If this idea that London can run as some kind of independent city state cut off from the rest of the country gets legs - then it WILL be cut off from the rest of the country. Who’s going to commute to a place with a £30 a day fee just to get to work?

Agency: “Can you run into St Thomas’ hospital tonight to cover a porter shift? - £50 per hour!”
NHS worker: “Nah! I’ll be needing double that… Meanwhile, I’ve got a job working out of a hospital in the west country, which will be cheaper to get to on the same hourly rate…”

muckles:

OVLOV JAY:

muckles:

OVLOV JAY:

From the way I’ve read it affects pre 2015 euro 6 diesel cars or pre 2006 euro 4 petrol cars, and the 2019 introduction is for central London with the larger area affected from 2020, so by the time it covers the larger area it would be possible to have a 14 year old car and not be charged for it as long as it runs on petrol.

That was Boris’ version of the plan, but now it’s been changed to ‘simplify’ it. Any car over 5 years old gets charged a tenner, and anything over 14 years old gets charged a score, plus the congestion charge will still be in place. That was what lbc were reporting this morning anyway

muckles:
But aren’t those people just outside the zone affected as well as they likely to drive into the zone regularly?

That’s a lot easier to avoid than finding yourself being a resident in an area subject to ‘emmissions’ taxation.In this case that should translate as representation should also mean taxation.Rather than a large part of his vote being exempted from the most severe effects of what they voted for. :bulb:

Winseer:
Looks like my days of going into town are numbered. I’ve yet to drive a car less than ten years old.

Why not just extend the congestion charge to cover the entire interior of the M25 then?

:open_mouth:

Because ‘London’ and with it Khan’s remit doesn’t cover the ‘entire interior’ of the M25.So you can shove that plan where the sun don’t shine. :imp: :imp: