tailgating

To the Europarts rigid on the A5 near Crick truck stop 08:00 today, why did you find it necessary to be so close to the Honda Accord in front of you?(about a car’s length) I was behind Stobart truck doing 40mph, and quite obviously not in a position to go any faster. Muppets like you give the industry a bad name.

Is there any need to winge about it on here ? Yes it’s dangerous and i’m sure this Honda driver now hates all lorry drivers but it’s pretty much an everyday event. :unamused:

I am a lorry driver my self, and thought he deserved a mention.

bald bloke:
Is there any need to winge about it on here ? Yes it’s dangerous and i’m sure this Honda driver now hates all lorry drivers but it’s pretty much an everyday event. :unamused:

Of course it should be mentioned on here and everywhere else.These big bullies are the ones that take innocent lives when it all goes wrong.
There are far too many on our roads these days and until they can be prosecuted by camera they should be named and ashamed anyway possible.
Some drivers like to have a good reputation and these idiots tar us all with the same brush.

Ain’t it strange over 200 hundred views but nobody wishes to comment on whether tailgaters should be named and shamed.
Maybe some who have viewed this thread are offenders because most know how dangerous this practice is but nobody seems to want to do anything about it?
All I can say is bring on the cameras asap

albion1971:
Ain’t it strange over 200 hundred views but nobody wishes to comment on whether tailgaters should be named and shamed.
Maybe some who have viewed this thread are offenders because most know how dangerous this practice is but nobody seems to want to do anything about it?

Tbf only you have brought up the issue of naming and shaming. It had hitherto not been mentioned.

Perhaps the over 200 views agreed totally with the op that this is totally unacceptable behaviour but struggle with what actually to “do” about it. Do you advocate that we should physically force the offender to stop so we can lecture them on their bad behaviour? Obviously we can’t photograph and post their pics as we all know that would be illegal. Perhaps a phone call to the vehicle owner would be in order? But that way lies anarchy with people settling petty squabbles by phoning gaffers for made up non events.

I do know where you’re coming from here Albion and totally agree with you that this sort of driving is dangerous in the extreme and paints a very bad image for everyone else.

I also think that it’s a bit unfair to suggest that the other 190 odd viewers that didn’t respond have tacitly condoned tailgating merely because they haven’t commented.

Maybe they were as outraged as you and I over it but felt they had nothing useful to add, as they don’t have the answer.

Cant see the OP has done anything wrong by posting here TBH…

Name and shame :grimacing:

The HA are going to trial some ‘Don’t Tailgate’ vms on the M1 due to the amount of tailgating accidents now causing disruption due to poor driving.

As for anyone taking any notice they’ll probably be too busy watching a dvd to notice :confused:

speedyguy:
The HA are going to trial some ‘Don’t Tailgate’ vms on the M1 due to the amount of tailgating accidents now causing disruption due to poor driving.

As for anyone taking any notice they’ll probably be too busy watching a dvd to notice :confused:

Whar are vms?

I had one the other day, I was only in my little car coming out of brum and had this prize pillock in a an artic behind playing how close he good get to me with his idiot mirror game. Took no notice of the phssshing and cab bouncing for about 10 minutes as we where in heavy traffic but remembering I had got the baby onboard sticker on the back saw red and snapped.

I put my hazard lights on (he was so close he was buggered), approached the driver looked up and said I haven’t really broken down but if you don’t pack it in next time I will pull your trailer brake and we will have it out on the side of the road (might be some swearing and hand gestures I’ve missed, but then I’m quite a sight when me ■■■■■■■ are in a bunch).

Funnily enough he kept a long way back after that.

the maoster:

albion1971:

Tbf only you have brought up the issue of naming and shaming. It had hitherto not been mentioned.

Perhaps the over 200 views agreed totally with the op that this is totally unacceptable behaviour but struggle with what actually to “do” about it. Do you advocate that we should physically force the offender to stop so we can lecture them on their bad behaviour? Obviously we can’t photograph and post their pics as we all know that would be illegal. Perhaps a phone call to the vehicle owner would be in order? But that way lies anarchy with people settling petty squabbles by phoning gaffers for made up non events.

I do know where you’re coming from here Albion and totally agree with you that this sort of driving is dangerous in the extreme and paints a very bad image for everyone else.

I also think that it’s a bit unfair to suggest that the other 190 odd viewers that didn’t respond have tacitly condoned tailgating merely because they haven’t commented.

Maybe they were as outraged as you and I over it but felt they had nothing useful to add, as they don’t have the answer.

TBH I do not where I am coming from either apart from I get so hacked off with these idiots day after day.Sorry to go on but it is my main pet hate on the road just in case you have not guessed.

Naming and shaming - the driver of the Bloggs delivery LGV registration ABC 123 was driving like a numpty - then we see the that LGV next day but what we do not know is if its the same driver or not - is that fair?

098Joe:
Muppets like you give the industry a bad name.

The industry already has a bad name, nothing new there, also learn to mind your own business & don’t moan about other people & what they do…:exclamation::evil:

albion1971:
TBH I do not where I am coming from either apart from I get so hacked off with these idiots day after day.Sorry to go on but it is my main pet hate on the road just in case you have not guessed.

:smiley: :smiley: yeah I had kinda guessed! I do agree though that something needs to be done pdq, but am myself at a loss as to what exactly. Perhaps as mentioned above these cameras may help but I’ll not be holding my breath on that one. I personally think a huge and highly visible police presence would sort a lot of it out but that would require a long term political will (and spending) so again I’ll not hold my breath on that either.

The sad thing is that each road fatality costs x pounds and flooding the roads with police would probably cost half of x pounds which would equate financially to a nett saving (without even mentioning the shattered lives etc), but as it would be outlay with little or no income generated it aint gonna happen.

Yes I agree a big police presence would do the world of good.Other than that bring back the birch. :slight_smile:

Tailgating is in my eyes is just going to get worse and worse due the number of vechiles using the m way network and what shocks me most is hgvs are one oftge biggest culprits
I myself cringe when I’m plodding along in the inside lane at 50 n see all the Heros on the limiter in the middle lane tailgating cos ones goin 0.0005 mph faster
The biggest problem I think is a culmination of a lot of things trucks havin a more car like feel , volume of traffic , people’s full of there own self importance and feel there journey us so much more important than any one else’s the list is endless
But is v easy to fix keep your DISTANCE and you will stop in time

Pimpdaddy:

098Joe:
Muppets like you give the industry a bad name.

The industry already has a bad name, nothing new there, also learn to mind your own business & don’t moan about other people & what they do…:exclamation::evil:

Like ^^^.

Whenever i go along the A5 i usually just flash my headlights at the oncoming lorries and put my thumb down. They usually assume i’m telling them there is a speed camera up ahead of them. There isn’t. I just do this for fun, they thank me. They also assume the scamera van has gone after a few miles of not seeing one and they also keep to 40 MPH. Jobs a good 'un.

What I find strange is when you overtake two trucks with the rear one tailgating, they seem to drop back for some reason, no idea why but it happens a lot.
Are they feeling guilty because some one has seen them doing it?

weeto:
What I find strange is when you overtake two trucks with the rear one tailgating, they seem to drop back for some reason, no idea why but it happens a lot.
Are they feeling guilty because some one has seen them doing it?

Maybe you don’t look safe?