Tailgating.

Anyone else noticed there seems to be an increase in this?

I had an 8 yr lay-off from the transport industry, came back about 16 months ago, & it seems that every day i manage to pick up at least 3 or 4 idiots who find the arse end of my trailer an attractive sight :imp: :imp: I don’t remember it being this bad back in '02 when i came off the road. Is it me or is it getting worse? I’m limited to 52 so its not other HGV’s doing the tailgating, 90% of the time its cars or vans. :confused:

Couldnt agrre more mate shipped in last week from spain and en route to newcastle it seemed a case of get rid of one â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  of your arse another one appears! The standard of hgv driving in this country is appalling does my head just being over here!

Betty Swallox:
Anyone else noticed there seems to be an increase in this?

I had an 8 yr lay-off from the transport industry, came back about 16 months ago, & it seems that every day i manage to pick up at least 3 or 4 idiots who find the arse end of my trailer an attractive sight :imp: :imp: I don’t remember it being this bad back in '02 when i came off the road. Is it me or is it getting worse? I’m limited to 52 so its not other HGV’s doing the tailgating, 90% of the time its cars or vans. :confused:

They can sit as close as they want behind me, won’t even know if they don’t manage to brake in time, so ■■■■ 'em.

It’s when they pass you, take your nose off, then go slower than you, by which time you’re boxed in by another moron, and you’ve a choice of tailgate them or slow down to walking pace. That’s when they ■■■■ me off.

Only 3 or 4? I find it happens all day long unless I adopt a different approach to driving. And the biggest offenders are profffffffffffffessssssssssional drivers…

They get so close,like they want to marry you,i have noticed it too.Sainsbugs are limited to 50 mph or a few above that on the motorway.

Wouldn’t worry about it, if you have to stop suddenly they’ll be worse off if they run into the back of you

I’m often on the A303 most nights, I’m never in a rush so stick to the legal limit, 40mph on singles, even on the overtaking lanes (which is still 40) I stay at 40 to give other lorries a chance to overtake. I haven’t got a problem with drivers wanting to go faster but I do have a problem with hgv’s tailgating, or at least I did have a problem, I’ve learn’t to ignore them because it happens sooo much if you don’t ignore them you will end up getting mad every 5 minutes!

Grayham:
Wouldn’t worry about it, if you have to stop suddenly they’ll be worse off if they run into the back of you

If only that was true but it isn’t necessarily so.

44 Tonne Ton:

Grayham:

If only that was true but it isn’t necessarily so.

Indeed not, one truck’s brakes will not stop two trucks.
You may well stop safely before the hazard but you won’t be well off
after the tailgater has shunted you into it.
There is nothing more irritating than a second pair of mirrors at the back
of your trailer.
I always let them go past if possible but sometimes they are so close,
on SC roads, that they can’t see whether it is safe to overtake.
Amazing how many drop back at the sight of a nearside indicator instead
of coming past.

Regards,
Nick.

Cars and vans probably do it to save fuel.

I was driving on the A1 near Ferrybridge a few months back and all I could see of the ASDA artic following me was the mirrors and the shadow on the verge.

Driving a slow truck I find the situation where faster trucks come up behind you, then sit there tailgating you for a good 5 or 10 minutes before they pull out and zoom off. Nothing to do with how busy motorway is, I often have it happen when motorway is deserted. Happens in Europe just as much too. I really can’t fathom it out.

Put the exhaust brake on a few times, no brake lights, unless brakepedal operated, that sorts it.

switchlogic:
Driving a slow truck I find the situation where faster trucks come up behind you, then sit there tailgating you for a good 5 or 10 minutes before they pull out and zoom off. Nothing to do with how busy motorway is, I often have it happen when motorway is deserted. Happens in Europe just as much too. I really can’t fathom it out.

Perhaps they are lonely.

Steve Rogers:
Couldnt agrre more mate shipped in last week from spain and en route to newcastle it seemed a case of get rid of one [zb] of your arse another one appears! The standard of hgv driving in this country is appalling does my head just being over here!

Stay in spain then ?

switchlogic:

Imho they are usually on the phone. When the call is finished they pull out and shoot off.

It doesn’t at all bother me if it’s a car, but if it’s a lorry then i’ll slow down until they decide to pass me. If we come to a standstill, fine by me.

If a HGV is tailgating a car on a S/C or D/C or Mway on a claer national speed limit then the car driver is driving like a â– â– â– â– â– â–  and should get back to cutting up HGV in the town at 30/40mpn

Most of my ‘tailgaters’ seem to be middle aged Nervous Nerys types, happy to plod along at 52 a couple of feet from my trailer. I usually give them a junction or 2 then attempt to shake them off.

Not had too many HGV’s tailgate me, but when it does happen i start knocking the cc down a couple of notches a time until they get peed off & then overtake, i usually get a stinking look, but hey ho, away they go.

I feel surprisingly re-assured its not just me that it happens to, but slightly concerned that its so prevalent.

Something else i see a lot of aswell, 2 lorries from the same firm following each other along the motorway, on the limiter with barely 3 metres between them, whats that all aboutâ– â– ? :imp: :imp:

They can’t bear to be parted!

Try and get in between a convoy of 2+ vehicles from the same company :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I did it once and I have never had so much abuse as I did from the following driver :unamused: :laughing: