Tacos for dummys

Just passed my tests as you’ll know if you do a lot of reading on here.

To be honest I’ve been very surprised how at no point in ether my training or tests taco knowledge was important when it’s going to be vital when I’m working.

So I had an interview at an agency and they had an example old taco they wanted me to fill in and a digi print out to answer questions on. Needless to say I failed that section terribly.

Please could someone help this dummy learn a thing or two about tacos.

There is not a dummy guide because there is so much

Best to be more specific and ask questions on certain things to get the help you need

Have you checked out the info in this forum = viewforum.php?f=7

OK… I’ll be honest, not the answer I was hoping for but thanks for your honesty

The main things were

1 filling in an analog taco chart

2 what do the different simbles mean

3 how do you change the ‘mode’

I’m hoping the last one is quite straightforward

I prefer fajitas to tacos.

There are YouTube videos that give the basics of tacos

TheTrogFather:
1 filling in an analog taco chart

2 what do the different simbles mean

3 how do you change the ‘mode’

I’m hoping the last one is quite straightforward

1. I’ve never done it, I don’t know how to do it, and I don’t plan on finding out unless/until I have to. Stick with trucks under ten years old and you’ll never encounter an analogue recorder

2. The basic symbols are a circle for driving, crossed hammers for ‘other work’, a bed for break/rest, and a square for periods of availability. The rest shouldn’t bother you most of the time, so take a leisurely stroll through a tachograph user manual or Google if you’re curious

3. There are two card slots with numbered buttons underneath each…just press the number your card is in and it cycles through the modes (you will usually be in slot 1 unless you’re double manning)

Thx ORC

Period of availability… Does that mean, not break time, not working, not driving but sat waiting for the grunts at the wearhouse to get off their buts?

Also, can said time above be used as breaks from your driving hours? So do 2 hours driving… Sat waiting 1 hour then do 4 hours driving. Or would you have to set the taco to break time.

Finally if your on the motorway, theres an accident in front of you so ur sat doing nothing. Can you count that time as break or poa time?

Ow one more. Can you move the truck at all in break time? As in your in a yard and some guy comes and says ur in the way? If yes how much?

POA is complicated and causes lots of arguments about what it actually means. It is basically a period of a fixed duration that you know in advance when you are available for work but not actually doing anything. There are consequences - some good and some bad - when you record time as POA. You’ll need to read the rules to understand it (I have read the rules many times and I still don’t really understand it, so I tend to avoid using it unless I’m told to).

Sat waiting for unknown duration is technically ‘other work’. That generally includes being stuck in traffic, including accidents. However, I did manage to get a fifteen minute WTD break in on the middle lane of the M1 a few weeks ago as I sat watching some guys play football on the opposite carriageway because the road was closed in both directions following a serious accident.

The tachograph unit detects movement, so if you move the truck when on a break it knows about it. However, because it records in minutes rather than seconds, it considers what the majority of the minute was doing so a few seconds of movement tends to be disregarded if it quickly gets reverted to rest. I managed to move my unit the other day from under one trailer to another while on a break, by doing it in short bursts of a few seconds each and a pause for a minute or so between them. The break still logged as valid.

Please don’t tell DVSA… :wink:

That example of 2 hours driving …sat waiting for 1 hour then do 4 hours driving means you’ve driven for 6 hours without showing a tacho break !

You could drive the 2 hours,have a 45 minute break then drive 4.5 hours,have another 45 minute break,then you’re good to drive for another 3.5 hours (on a 10 hour day).

Or drive the 2 hours have a 15 minute break,drive for 2.5 hours then have a 30 minute break,your choice.
I don’t use POA.
In the case of the accident,if the traffic’s not moving you can put it on break,I’ve done it quite a few times.

Thx… Can’t believe you could end up with the keys to a truck and no ones properly gone through it with you.

Ramon123:
In the case of the accident,if the traffic’s not moving you can put it on break,I’ve done it quite a few times.

It certainly can be done, I’m curious how DVSA might regard it, though.

Many drivers go onto break when they’re parked up an a bay waiting to be tipped/loaded, but I’ve heard it said that DVSA do spot checks and might frown upon this because they regard it as other work. I don’t really understand why or whether it’s true, I’m just passing on the rumour and gossip. I wonder if stationary traffic might be similarly regarded as work.

Having said that, it would have to be a seriously mental traffic womble doing spot checks of HGV tachos when there’s a major accident up the road needs dealing with… :smiley:

TheTrogFather:
Thx… Can’t believe you could end up with the keys to a truck and no ones properly gone through it with you.

You passed your theory test so your knowledge of the regulations has been established to be satisfactory and you’re safe to be on the road. Them’s the rules.

There’s a simplified guide here:

gov.uk/government/publicati … rking-time

It’s only 23 pages so about half the length of the full guide here:

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

i found this helpful about drivers hours

chartwise-online.com/tag/ebook/

and if you go to google and search “digital tachograph pdf” the first link that comes up, tachomaster.net gives you an ebook that you can read on your smartphone in your spare time. the book is an idiotproof step by step guide of how to use the physical machine, there are online simulators that you can practice with too.

Thx everyone. Me gots some reading to do :sunglasses:

If module 2 had been a test on the regs rather than the scenarios is currently is then the OP would have much better knowledge

The problem is … It’s a driving test .
Some driving jobs although HGV don’t come under tach regs.

I know some will disagree but book onto a DCPC course for drivers hours. Then when you’re there ask all your questions.

I’ve just had a group of virtual beginners for the week - they should all now know what they need to know!

ROG:
If module 2 had been a test on the regs rather than the scenarios is

But if they chainged it how would they make so much money fineing people :smiling_imp: