Tacos for dummys

Give this a try

fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_CAS … SIMULADOR/

The website is Spanish but the application has an English version. We used to use it for training when I worked on coaches. Should give you a good insight.

*edit google will translate the page before the comments start [emoji38]

Thanks. I’ll lake a look next time I get my computer out

OK I’ve been reading up and I feel I understand most of it. There are 2 things however

1 it says the daily rest can be reduced to 9 hours if you qualify. But I can’t see where it says how you would know if you do or not.

2 it says if you get stuck in traffic etc (something out of your control) your allowed to go over your Max driving hours to get to a suitable safe place to stop, and then keep a note of why you went over (for example, lane closed on the motorway drove 5 hours before getting to a services as crawling for 10 miles, then 45 min break). Does mention not to make this a habit. Can you really do this? Don’t want to get finned by following what the boom says and then a chap at vosa have a different opinion. I also ask this as I’ve seen trucks on the hard shoulder in above mentioned kinda traffic clearly having their tacho break.

TheTrogFather:
OK I’ve been reading up and I feel I understand most of it. There are 2 things however

1 it says the daily rest can be reduced to 9 hours if you qualify. But I can’t see where it says how you would know if you do or not.

2 it says if you get stuck in traffic etc (something out of your control) your allowed to go over your Max driving hours to get to a suitable safe place to stop, and then keep a note of why you went over (for example, lane closed on the motorway drove 5 hours before getting to a services as crawling for 10 miles, then 45 min break). Does mention not to make this a habit. Can you really do this? Don’t want to get finned by following what the boom says and then a chap at vosa have a different opinion. I also ask this as I’ve seen trucks on the hard shoulder in above mentioned kinda traffic clearly having their tacho break.

1 - It means if you have one available and not used up the three allowed between weekly rests

2 - If a safe legal place cannot be had then this is allowed but a manual entry explaining why must be done
The full breaks and rest must still be taken albeit later than is legally required

TheTrogFather just click on Rog’s name and search his posts. All your questions have already been answered by him in the past. He only posts excellent advice and is a credit to this forum. Don’t bother listening to newbies like eagerbeaver and his plavground pals they know nothing and will lead you astray. I have never known Rog to be wrong. :wink:

Genuine advice

Accurate, Concise & Precise - ROG is like a Swiss watch! :open_mouth:

It quickly goes to crap on here if he’s not about… :laughing:

Thx ROG

One last question and I think I’ll be OK. What is the minimum amount of driving time you must do before you can split your break into two parts?

Some how I don’t think driving 10 mins break for 15 driving 4 hours 20 and then break for 30 would be considered legal.

TheTrogFather:
One last question and I think I’ll be OK. What is the minimum amount of driving time you must do before you can split your break into two parts?

1 minute
15 min break
drive 4 hrs 29 mins
30 min break
drive 4 hrs 30 mins

ROG:

TheTrogFather:

1 minute
15 min break
drive 4 hrs 29 mins
30 min break
drive 4 hrs 30 mins

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Wow OK thx ROG

For analogues, see here:

I still use them for one vehicle and they are quite quaint…
Always put the card is so you can see the trace without removing the card, and you won’t go far wrong. The design of all kinds of them is that you can check your hours without actually removing the card.
Watch which way around you write the mileages, it is the opposite to what you might expect to make it easier to do the subtraction (i.e. final milage goes at top)
Remember to set the clock. That’s about it I think!

ROG:

TheTrogFather:

1 minute
15 min break
drive 4 hrs 29 mins
30 min break
drive 4 hrs 30 mins

I dare/beg to differ, [emoji5] but only slightly… You may only drive a max 4 hours 30 mins in any combination and must then have a min 45 mins break total - minimum break segment is 15 mins. Meaning in the example from Rog, all is correct except for the 2nd last line - 30 mins rest. You need to have 45 mins here before you may drive a further 4 h 30 mins. Or drive for 1 min and then have a 15 min break [emoji1]

Maybe this is as clear as mud. The key is - one must have a total of 45 mins break in any given combination of 4 hours 30 mins driving.

jsutherland:

ROG:

TheTrogFather:

1 minute
15 min break
drive 4 hrs 29 mins
30 min break
drive 4 hrs 30 mins

I dare/beg to differ, [emoji5] but only slightly… You may only drive a max 4 hours 30 mins in any combination and must then have a min 45 mins break total - minimum break segment is 15 mins. Meaning in the example from Rog, all is correct except for the 2nd last line - 30 mins rest. You need to have 45 mins here before you may drive a further 4 h 30 mins. Or drive for 1 min and then have a 15 min break [emoji1]

Maybe this is as clear as mud. The key is - one must have a total of 45 mins break in any given combination of 4 hours 30 mins driving.

I also beg to differ, the example is correct :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Nowhere in the regulations does it say that you must have a 45 minute break for any combination of driving that equals 4½ hours, it says that you must have a 45 minute break after accumulating 4½ hours driving.

Article 7 - (EC) 561/2006

After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall
take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes,
unless he takes a rest period.

In the example the driver has driven for one minute then had a 15 minute break, that’s the first part of a split driving break, he’s then driven for another 4 hours 29 minutes before having a 30 minute break, that’s the second part of the split driving break.
Total accumulated driving before the second part of the split driving break equals 4½ hours.

It wouldn’t be wise to leave the break so late but it is legal :wink:

I would love you to be correct, but I am still not positive you are. You helpfully copied in the regulation text. …after four and a half hours a driver shall take an uninterruptedly break of less than 45 mins… In the example from Rog, the driver would only be taking 30 mins, albeit after 4 hours 29 mins.

I am sure it mentions this scenario in the regulations. I will look for it tomorrow. Hopefully I won’t have to return begging forgiveness…

I am on my knees begging forgiveness… I found the regulations - since the second break was 30 mins, the driving clock is reset.

Apologies for my questioning the validity of Rog. I used to do multi-drops and what I had written was often “preached” to us.

jsutherland:
I would love you to be correct, but I am still not positive you are. You helpfully copied in the regulation text. …after four and a half hours a driver shall take an uninterruptedly break of less than 45 mins… In the example from Rog, the driver would only be taking 30 mins, albeit after 4 hours 29 mins.

I am sure it mentions this scenario in the regulations. I will look for it tomorrow. Hopefully I won’t have to return begging forgiveness…

He had a 30 minute break because he’s already had a 15 minute break.

A 45 minute driving break can be split into two parts, the first part must be at-least 15 minutes break, the second part must be at-least 30 minute break and they must be taken in that order.

In the example you’re referring to the driver has had a split driving break first 15 minutes then 30 minutes.

Article 7 - (EC) 561/2006 in full.

After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall
take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes,
unless he takes a rest period.

This break may be replaced by a break of at least 15 minutes
followed by a break of at least 30 minutes each distributed
over the period in such a way as to comply with the provisions
of the first paragraph.

By the way the regulations (EC) 561/2006 do not give examples or scenarios so I’m guessing it’s not the regulations that you’ve been reading :wink:

jsutherland:
Hopefully I won’t have to return begging forgiveness…

You will find that I’m right but there’s no need to beg forgiveness :smiley: :wink:

edit: I see you’ve found the answer and posted while I was typing :smiley: :wink:

I couldn’t get to sleep. I had to find out the facts. By scenario, I meant what you have posted. Example would have been a better word.