Tachograph question

Hi folks. Does anyone know if I interrupt my daily rest to board a boat using the ship setting ( taking one short movement on and one off) will the tacho record it as having insufficient daily rest.

Thanks
Peter

peter s:
Hi folks. Does anyone know if I interrupt my daily rest to board a boat using the ship setting ( taking one short movement on and one off) will the tacho record it as having insufficient daily rest.

Thanks
Peter

Are you referring to having an interrupted regular 11 hour daily rest where the ferry has a bed etc for you to sleep?

peter s:

Thanks
Peter

I believe there are situations when you can interrupt your daily rest and boarding/disembarking from ferries is one of them. I believe you can select the ferry symbol on your digi tacho and that will cover you, but I don’t have the details to hand.

peter s:
Hi folks. Does anyone know if I interrupt my daily rest to board a boat using the ship setting ( taking one short movement on and one off) will the tacho record it as having insufficient daily rest.Thanks Peter

you have to have 13 hours and not a second more, hence your eleven hours off! You may interrupt it TWICE once to embark and disembark not totalling ONE HOUR DRIVE! Please pray you’re fluent in French, Spanish, Catalan, deutsch and the list goes on :laughing: at irun the red caps have Uzi 9 mm :sunglasses: so if you don’t want massive fines in euros €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ :wink: do a Thelma and Louise and make a run for the mountains! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: all joking aside you must get quayside and put it on daily rest! Say two hours!! Then embark on ferry mode call it 20 mins, reset it to daily rest for your say seven hour cruise! :wink: then disembark on ferry mode again and drive for forty mins as you CAN’T interrupt it by driving over the ONE HOUR POINT, this is STILL COUNTING AS YOUR DAILY REST, then park up for one hour of daily rest and CRACK ON TO MACON DRIVES! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: I just hope your KY JELLY is translated into most European languages! :smiley:

A regular daily rest period (of at least 11 hours) may be interrupted no more than twice by other activities of not more than 1 hour’s duration in total, provided that the driver is accompanying a vehicle that is travelling by ferry or train and has access to a bunk or couchette.

Copied from VOSA

Or -:

A driver can split a ‘regular’ daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at least 3 hours uninterrupted rest, and can be taken at any time during the day. The second period must be at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum of 12 hours. For example:

Driving / other work / breaks = 8 hours

Rest = 3 hours

Driving / other work / breaks = 4 hours

Rest = 9 hours

A daily rest break may be taken in a vehicle if it has suitable sleeping facilities and is stationary.

peter s:

Thanks
Peter

As has been said you can interrupt a regular (11 hours) daily rest period no more than twice to board/disembark a ferry or train, the interruptions must not total more than 1 hour and you must still have at-least 11 hours rest not including the interruptions.

You can only legally do this if while on the ferry/train you have access to a bunk or couchette.

Page 21 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

tachograph:

peter s:

Thanks
Peter

As has been said you can interrupt a regular (11 hours) daily rest period no more than twice to board/disembark a ferry or train, the interruptions must not total more than 1 hour and you must still have at-least 11 hours rest not including the interruptions.

You can only legally do this if while on the ferry/train you have access to a bunk or couchette.

cant do it if by air then :wink: :wink:

nick2008:

tachograph:

peter s:

Thanks
Peter

cant do it if by air then :wink: :wink:

I doubt EasyJet or RyanAir would stand for you rolling a 44 tonne artic on-board :slight_smile: :wink:

Fatboy slimslow:
you have to have 13 hours and not a second more, hence your eleven hours off! You may interrupt it TWICE once to embark and disembark not totalling ONE HOUR DRIVE!

How can you have a 13 hour shift, 11 hour of rest PLUS the time of the two movements and fit that into 24 hours?

ROG:
How can you have a 13 hour shift, 11 hour of rest PLUS the time of the two movements and fit that into 24 hours?

Good question - Its because your ferry movements are added to your weekly drive/work times and not your daily times. Quite often ferry movements will appear as tacho infringements for not enough daily rest or too many reduced rest periods in a week depending on how many you do. Nothing that can’t be explained with a print out

m4rky:

ROG:

Good question - Its because your ferry movements are added to your weekly drive/work times and not your daily times. Quite often ferry movements will appear as tacho infringements for not enough daily rest or too many reduced rest periods in a week depending on how many you do. Nothing that can’t be explained with a print out

That’s never really been established though has it ?

The information came from Tachodisc who claimed it came from a legal test case, but as far as I’m aware the alleged legal test case never actually took place.

Personally I wouldn’t be relying on such unsubstantiated information that seems to go completely against what the regulations say.

Tachodisc claim 'Legal test case clarifies ferry rest periods’

Re: Legal Test Case Clarifies Ferry Rest Periods

ROG:

Fatboy slimslow:
you have to have 13 hours and not a second more, hence your eleven hours off! You may interrupt it TWICE once to embark and disembark not totalling ONE HOUR DRIVE!

Rog, you’re interrupting the regular rest period, twice that’s all! :laughing: ferry mode = viola! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: believe me, been to court AND won! :wink: it doesn’t matter because that’s what waiting FOR THE BOAT IS! :sunglasses: it has to be 13 hours ONLY duty time and regular rest 11 hours! Then ferry mode comes into play! :smiley: you may interrupt a regular rest period twice as long as it’s duration is no longer than one hour! :grimacing: two hours daily rest, ferry mode 20 mins, back to seven hours daily rest, disembark on ferry mode and drive forty mins if you wish, one hour daily rest is eleven hours up :wink: and go again! Honestly Rog, believe me :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Was that the case where it was established that the driving times during ferry movements were not added to any daily time but were added to the 90 max fortnight limit but it did not give a pass on the 24 hour limit to which all must fit into ?

To answer the question yes it will show up as insufficient rest on the tacho and when your card is analysed it will also show up as insufficient rest if plod pulls you and downloads your card into his handheld device. To be on the safe side if using ferry movements write the time and crossing down in a diary this will save you a lot of bother when the infringements show up.
With regards to the 11 hours rest we always try to get to boat at with enough time to get 11 hours plus the shunts for example if you are going to use the full hours shunt then get to the boat after a 12 hour spread have asked both the VOSA and police about this and never really received a definitive answer, all of VOSA’s diagrams on this show the two shunts being within the 11 hour break

ROG:
Was that the case where it was established that the driving times during ferry movements were not added to any daily time but were added to the 90 max fortnight limit but it did not give a pass on the 24 hour limit to which all must fit into ?

I could have missed something, but as far as I’m aware nothing was ever established apart from the fact that there never was a legal test case as Tachodisc claimed.

I’m no expert, and only found it once by accident when switching between 2 motors that the time clocks were out on. Can you not use “out of scope” or “on ferry” mode?

Never even seen these modes on a Siemens tacho, but they were deffo there on that old Stoneridge

PaulNowak:
I’m no expert, and only found it once by accident when switching between 2 motors that the time clocks were out on. Can you not use “out of scope” or “on ferry” mode?

Never even seen these modes on a Siemens tacho, but they were deffo there on that old Stoneridge

The ferry option is on all digital tachographs, the OP has said he will/does use it but referred to it as “ship mode”.

I have done ferry moves twice a week on didgi since 2007 and never had a problem.
My way is eg. on arrival at dock tacho to rest and end country ,then before move on to ferry press ferry mode, thhen back to rest when parked on ferry,on disembarcation press ferry move again and drive off and park up, mode back to rest, then add the rest up on the port, and the ferry, and the parking time at other side ,this must add up to 11 hours rest then press start country and go.
Simples

tachograph:

PaulNowak:

The ferry option is on all digital tachographs, the OP has said he will/does use it but referred to it as “ship mode”.

No I didn’t… I referred to it as ship setting to avoid any debate on what its called. :slight_smile:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
I have done ferry moves twice a week on didgi since 2007 and never had a problem.
My way is eg. on arrival at dock tacho to rest and end country ,then before move on to ferry press ferry mode, thhen back to rest when parked on ferry,on disembarcation press ferry move again and drive off and park up, mode back to rest, then add the rest up on the port, and the ferry, and the parking time at other side ,this must add up to 11 hours rest then press start country and go.
Simples

That’s what I do but it still comes up as an infringement.