Tachograph Paper Rolls

One of the new drivers at our place got a FPN yesterday for failing to have enough tachograph paper to do a printout at a roadside check.

He told our manager that other drivers were also being fined £25 for not having a spare roll of tachograph paper in the cab (I think this is a a bit of driver BS so he didn’t feel so bad)

I 've checked the rules and they say that you need enough paper to do a printout not have a complete spare roll.

My question is, what if VOSA asked you to do a printout for the last twenty eight days? You might be obliged to have a spare tacho roll then?

W

AlexWignall:
One of the new drivers at our place got a FPN yesterday for failing to have enough tachograph paper to do a printout at a roadside check.

He told our manager that other drivers were also being fined £25 for not having a spare roll of tachograph paper in the cab (I think this is a a bit of driver BS so he didn’t feel so bad)

I 've checked the rules and they say that you need enough paper to do a printout not have a complete spare roll.

My question is, what if VOSA asked you to do a printout for the last twenty eight days? You might be obliged to have a spare tacho roll then?

W

The law says you need enough paper to do a printout, it doesn’t mention spare rolls, but how long is a piece of string?

Operator Responsibilities:

Supply your drivers with enough print roll so they will have enough paper for printouts and manual records.

Driver Responsibilities:

Carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a printout can be produced at an enforcement officer’s request;

That’s the point of my question WheelNut.

We have even got one guy who has said he has been asked to provide 28 days worth of printouts but he is the same ■■■■ who thought you can only drive for 10 hours in 24.

I’m sure if an Enforcement Officer was savvy enough to want to see your last 28 days worth of records they would have a remote downloader to hand. Unless he wanted to be arsey and make you run out of paper.

Has anyone got a better interpretation of the rules?

W

AlexWignall:

There is the BS clue right there. There are no £25 fines. VOSA can issue FPN’s in the amount £30, £60, £120 or £200 so they couldn’t have been fined the amount he claims. Also failing to ensure printing can be carried out correctly, not enough or no paper, is a Level 2 FPN which is £60.

As you have said there is no requirement to have a spare unused roll, although it is good practice. It is impossible to say what is sufficient paper as a driver on multi drop will have a fairly long printout whereas someone like me who trunks at night and has very few mode changes will have a printout for the shift that uses very little paper.

Still, this hasn’t been a total waste of time for you as you now know this guy is a complete roaster and should be avoided at all cost, or slapped several times about the head with a large, wet fish.

AlexWignall:

We have even got one guy who has said he has been asked to provide 28 days worth of printouts but he is the same ■■■■ who thought you can only drive for 10 hours in 24.

I’m sure if an Enforcement Officer was savvy enough to want to see your last 28 days worth of records they would have a remote downloader to hand. Unless he wanted to be arsey and make you run out of paper.

W

What was the regulation he broke? From the FPN there has to be a reason for it>

Printer rolls are 8 metres long

Coffeeholic:

AlexWignall:

There is the BS clue right there. There are no £25 fines. VOSA can issue FPN’s in the amount £30, £60, £120 or £200 so they couldn’t have been fined the amount he claims. Also failing to ensure printing can be carried out correctly, not enough or no paper, is a Level 2 FPN which is £60.

As you have said there is no requirement to have a spare unused roll, although it is good practice. It is impossible to say what is sufficient paper as a driver on multi drop will have a fairly long printout whereas someone like me who trunks at night and has very few mode changes will have a printout for the shift that uses very little paper.

Still, this hasn’t been a total waste of time for you as you now know this guy is a complete roaster and should be avoided at all cost, or slapped several times about the head with a large, wet fish.

Hahaha always the best lines Coffee.

I knew this guy was waffling about the other drivers when the £25 FPN was mentioned (no small thanks to the schedule of offences I got off this board recently). I doubt I’d be wittering to other drivers about the fines I’d just received at a roadside check either.

Unfortunately the real roaster has been proved right. It seems we could be called upon to provide twenty eight days worth of printouts and with the work we do would probably entail using a second tacho roll. Although I refuse to believe that has actually happened to him.

Thanks anyway,

W

Wheel Nut:

AlexWignall:

W

What was the regulation he broke? From the FPN there has to be a reason for it>

The New Driver I originally mentioned in my post simply didn’t have enough paper to provide a printout. No doubt he hadn’t checked his tacho since he got the truck a couple of weeks ago. He tried to say that other guys were being done at the same time in a vain attempt not to look too stupid.

Printer rolls are 8 metres long

Now that I’ve had a digi card truck for a couple of months I’m surprised how quickly the rolls run out.

W

AlexWignall:
It seems we could be called upon to provide twenty eight days worth of printouts and with the work we do would probably entail using a second tacho roll.

In theory that’s correct but in practice I doubt you would ever be asked to provide printouts beyond the last shift before the last weekly rest period.

tachograph:

AlexWignall:
It seems we could be called upon to provide twenty eight days worth of printouts and with the work we do would probably entail using a second tacho roll.

In theory that’s correct but in practice I doubt you would ever be asked to provide printouts beyond the last shift before the last weekly rest period.

That’s what I said Tachograph.

Yet again, I’ve been dismissed as the old duffer who has been driving lorries too long and doesn’t realise that now VOSA are self funding they will refuse to have a pragmatic approach to roadside checks.

Oh well…

W

Did my cpc 2 weeks ago and this 7.5hr bore fest was on rules and regs :open_mouth:
You need to have the ability to print out 28 days of working tachos,whever that takes 1 roll or 3 or 300 is irrelevant,YOU MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO PRINT 28 DAYS WORTH IF ASKED.

AlexWignall:

tachograph:

AlexWignall:

That’s what I said Tachograph.

Yet again, I’ve been dismissed as the old duffer who has been driving lorries too long and doesn’t realise that now VOSA are self funding they will refuse to have a pragmatic approach to roadside checks.

Oh well…

W

Self Funding doesn’t mean your FPN money goes to VOSA, it goes to central government just the same as a speeding fine or 15 quid battered wife surcharge

ckm1981:
Did my cpc 2 weeks ago and this 7.5hr bore fest was on rules and regs :open_mouth:
You need to have the ability to print out 28 days of working tachos,whever that takes 1 roll or 3 or 300 is irrelevant,YOU MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO PRINT 28 DAYS WORTH IF ASKED.

In your DCPC trainers opinion, there is certainly nothing to be found in the legislation. Did he shout it out in the classroom?

As for someone using a lot of rolls. I purloined a box of 3 when I got my first digi truck. In my bag there are still 2 new foil wrapped rolls

AlexWignall:
Now that I’ve had a digi card truck for a couple of months I’m surprised how quickly the rolls run out.

I had one for 6 months and it was on the same roll at the end as it was at the start. Not sure what you’re doing if you feel they’re running out quickly…

Paul

ckm1981:

How can I put this delicately?

Oh, I know, that is total ■■■■■■■■

Wheel Nut:

ckm1981:

In your DCPC trainers opinion, there is certainly nothing to be found in the legislation. Did he shout it out in the classroom?

As for someone using a lot of rolls. I purloined a box of 3 when I got my first digi truck. In my bag there are still 2 new foil wrapped rolls

Depends on the work you do,i can have upto 15 deliveries a day in my artic,which would use a lot more roll up than say a trunker,with the mode switching all the time from other work to driving.

Btw it wasn’t the DCPC trainers opinion,it was a statement read from the VOSA handbook,all drivers must show 28 days tachos if requested to do so.
A digi card records everything obviously but the onus is on the driver to produce printouts as and when requested to do so,if you can’t/don’t or won’t then you will be reported for failing to produce.

Coffeeholic:

ckm1981:

How can I put this delicately?

Oh, I know, that is total ■■■■■■■■

Total ■■■■■■■■? So tell me Mr know it all-whos’s responsibility is it to produce YOUR tachos upon request from VOSA or the police?

ckm1981:

Wheel Nut:

ckm1981:

Depends on the work you do,i can have upto 15 deliveries a day in my artic,which would use a lot more roll up than say a trunker,with the mode switching all the time from other work to driving.

Btw it wasn’t the DCPC trainers opinion,it was a statement read from the VOSA handbook,all drivers must show 28 days tachos if requested to do so.
A digi card records everything obviously but the onus is on the driver to produce printouts as and when requested to do so,if you can’t/don’t or won’t then you will be reported for failing to produce.

Nonsense. You have to produce charts and any required printouts, those taken to correct or explain something, plus your digi card. That doesn’t mean it is a legal requirement to be able to produce 28 days printouts.

Coffeeholic:

ckm1981:

Wheel Nut:

ckm1981:

Nonsense. You have to produce charts and any required printouts, those taken to correct or explain something, plus your digi card. That doesn’t mean it is a legal requirement to be able to produce 28 days printouts.

So if Mr VOSA Man asked you to print out your 28 days working you’d refuse?

ckm1981:
So if Mr VOSA Man asked you to print out your 28 days working you’d refuse?

You’re missing the point completely. The law only says you must carry “sufficient” paper, it doesn’t say what that means and so anyone who says “it is the law that you must carry enough to print out x number of days data” is talking nonsense. I think it is generally accepted that it is good practice to always have at least the roll that is in the head and one spare roll but there is nothing in law that states that. VOSA will not ever ask you to print out 28 days worth of data anyway, they would simply ask for your card and put it in their machine which will instantly tell them if you’ve been a naughty boy without having to try and manually analyse yards of printouts.

Sadly the ability to talk nonsense seems to be a core requirement for anyone conducting a driver cpc course on driver’s hours.

Paul

ckm1981:

The legal requirement to show your last 28 days worth of tachos when you are on digital doesn’t mean you have to print them out, if your DCPC instructor said that you do then he shouldn’t be taking the course until he goes away and actually learns the correct rules. By giving Mr VOSA your digicard (plus of course any required printouts to explain deviations from the driver’s hours regs) you have “shown” him the last 28 days tachos, he will not ask you to print them out.

Paul