Tachograph modes in channel tunnel

Does anyone else have a problem with mode changing whilst onboard the channel tunnel crossing?
we have had at least 2 trucks that change mode on the crossing from break to work at approx. half way point of the undersea journey.
the head units are stoneridge, i have asked them and awaiting a reply.
i just wondered as anyone else encountered this problem at all?

Have you put the handbrake on,

It could be the rocking motion of the air suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same effect as sitting in a layby when a truck goes by and it switches it off break due to the rocking motion being detected as movement - right PITA. Seems to affect certain tachos more than others, and maybe certain trucks (guessing empty will cause it more than full). Answer - get better tachos like Seimens (not sure the boss will like that one).

Wonder if putting it on ferry mode stops this as presumably they realised a ferry will move a heck of a lot.

trevHCS:
Same effect as sitting in a layby when a truck goes by and it switches it off break due to the rocking motion being detected as movement - right PITA. Seems to affect certain tachos more than others, and maybe certain trucks (guessing empty will cause it more than full). Answer - get better tachos like Seimens (not sure the boss will like that one).

Wonder if putting it on ferry mode stops this as presumably they realised a ferry will move a heck of a lot.

Nothing wrong with stoneridge tachos, no better or worse than a Siemens.

You clearly don’t have the foggiest idea about ferry mode, maybe best not to wibble on when you’re clueless, it makes you look daft. :unamused:

OP take the card out if it’s an issue, straight back in and rest until now, easy.

trevHCS:

Wonder if the trucks on the Carnryan boat had tacho problems?

Or is this a new excuse for DD and his running buddies?
“Honest officer, that wasn’t me driving. It was just the boat rocking!”

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

trevHCS:

All the ferry option does is mark the record/printout to show that a ferry/train journey was done.

Sent from my mobile.

Drop the suspension on the unit and that cuts down on movement and it will stay on break then.

Talking about suspension, wonder if putting the legs down might also help, assuming of course its an artic and you remember to lift them.

I wonder if newer tachos are worse being more sensitive? Problems I’ve had with rocking in laybys a d rach changing seems to have been with the newer ones rather than the clapped out 12 plates (all same tacho types but some newer versions).

Thanks Tachograph for the update on ferry mode, always thought it was a version of break with special 1 hour movement allowances.

trevHCS:
Talking about suspension, wonder if putting the legs down might also help, assuming of course its an artic and you remember to lift them.

I wonder if newer tachos are worse being more sensitive? Problems I’ve had with rocking in laybys a d rach changing seems to have been with the newer ones rather than the clapped out 12 plates (all same tacho types but some newer versions).

Thanks Tachograph for the update on ferry mode, always thought it was a version of break with special 1 hour movement allowances.

Dropping the legs on the Chunnel, Jesus wept. :unamused:

You’ve no idea what you’re talking about, why continue making yourself look daft?

TheUncaringCowboy:

trevHCS:

You’ve no idea what you’re talking about, why continue making yourself look daft?

If your so smart tell us why that would be a problem

chester1:

TheUncaringCowboy:

trevHCS:

Because you wouldn’t be allowed, the boys putting the chocks down would stop you,…

Also if your tacho is changing when your on the train or in a layby, it needs looking at, does it change when you sat sitting.

chester1:

TheUncaringCowboy:

trevHCS:

You’re*.

If you’ve ever been on the Chunnel you wouldn’t need it explaining to you how you can’t drop the legs on it.

TheUncaringCowboy:

chester1:

TheUncaringCowboy:

trevHCS:

You’re*.

If you’ve ever been on the Chunnel you wouldn’t need it explaining to you how you can’t drop the legs on it.

There is no reason you can’t drop the legs on the train the weight is still n the wheels not the legs and would take not much longer to wind them up than people turning on fridges

chester1:

TheUncaringCowboy:

TheUncaringCowboy:

trevHCS:

You’re*.

There is no reason you can’t drop the legs on the train the weight is still n the wheels not the legs and would take not much longer to wind them up than people turning on fridges

You dense clown.

You can’t drop the legs because there is no need to and the chock lads will not let you, that is the reason.

Fridges are turned on by pressing a button or flicking a switch, it doesn’t even take a second. Please show us all you winding up legs in less than a second.

The only one coming across a dense clown is you the number 1 euro trucker . I know there is no need to wind the legs down you are just saying you can’t . The chockers prob won’t bother you that’s if they noticed . Yes it does only take a second to flick a switch but how many stand there to make sure it fires up before getting in the cab if on constant . Takes about 15 seconds to wind a set of legs up

chester1:
The only one coming across a dense clown is you the number 1 euro trucker . I know there is no need to wind the legs down you are just saying you can’t . The chockers prob won’t bother you that’s if they noticed . Yes it does only take a second to flick a switch but how many stand there to make sure it fires up before getting in the cab if on constant . Takes about 15 seconds to wind a set of legs up

Then why are you trying to rationalise putting the legs down on the train?

How many wait? None, that I’ve seen or been behind.

A post ago it took as long to turn a fridge on as wind the legs up, now they’re different. Which one is it?

chester1:
Takes about 15 seconds to wind a set of legs up

Takes me under 5 seconds (probably closer to 3 I’d say) using the double handed method (ooh err missus).

Also… (moderator head on) both of you please stop throwing insults at each other, otherwise I’ll just lock and bin the whole thread.

ATTACK THE POST NOT THE POSTER!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

chester1:

No need to stand there after firing the fridge up turn it on then drop the window as you drive off and you’ll hear it start (or not) as for dropping the legs I take it you said that tongue in cheek it’s slow enough getting off the train as it is with drivers taking their time without waiting for them to wind the legs up too

Does wobbling about actually turn it off break? Never heard of this. I thought the wheels actually had to move and for so many seconds at that to trigger the mode change.

I’d put money on it being more like some electromagnetic or radio interference when in the tunnel that triggers something in the tacho to change its mode, especially if it’s happened at the same point. If it was just movement it would be at random points.

DickyNick:
Does wobbling about actually turn it off break? Never heard of this. I thought the wheels actually had to move and for so many seconds at that to trigger the mode change.

I’d put money on it being more like some electromagnetic or radio interference when in the tunnel that triggers something in the tacho to change its mode, especially if it’s happened at the same point. If it was just movement it would be at random points.

Good post.
I’d also ask whether its only one make of tacho/vehicle?
I too have never heard of this before on train or boat.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk