Tachograph issue?

Hi, had this happen twice and it’s confused me

Removed card Thursday morning approx 11:30am

Inserted card Thursday night approx 23:50

Did NOT do a manual entry.

00:30 is just after the start of today’s shift

08:40 was this morning after I finished work

Why didn’t you do a manual entry?
I think it’s just treating it as a continuation of the same day as you have not confirmed that you’ve had your daily rest. You will need to keep yourself straight on breaks and driving time, instead of letting the tacho help you.

stu675:
I think it’s just treating it as a continuation of the same day as you have not confirmed that you’ve had your daily rest. You will need to keep yourself straight on breaks and driving time, instead of letting the tacho help you.

I’ve never done one and there was 12 hours between card out and card back in.

The 2:08 driving time never changed all day either, only the break time went up even when I was driving.

Ghiabox:

stu675:

I’ve never done one

I’m pretty sure you’re breaking the law then for no good reason, what does your TM say? There’s a thread on here I’ll try to look for if I remember

and there was 12 hours between card out and card back in.

The 2:08 driving time never changed all day either, only the break time went up even when I was driving.

Did you get a printout to see if everything recorded correctly and it was just the dashboard that’s wrong? Did the tacho head say the same the whole time?

stu675:

Ghiabox:

stu675:

I’ve never done one

I’m pretty sure you’re breaking the law then for no good reason, what does your TM say? There’s a thread on here I’ll try to look for if I remember

and there was 12 hours between card out and card back in.

Did you get a printout to see if everything recorded correctly and it was just the dashboard that’s wrong? Did the tacho head say the same the whole time?

I could be wrong but i think all the law says is all work has to be recorded. If you only have one job then obviously the time your not working is break. The issue comes when you have two jobs a manual entry is needed to record the time you were at work at your other job.

I always do a manual entry even though i only work for one agency because my first job driving paid off the tacho and the second job used to keep you waiting for the keys etc while they gossiped or played on thier phones or even went for a ■■■. so i used to note the time i walked in the door and put that in on the manual entry. Since then its just habit

I’m guessing you didn’t put it on break before you ejected the card at the end of the first shift and then didn’t do a manual entry at the start of the second shift . The tacho is now treating this as all one shift . You need a 24 hour printout for the 2 days to see what was recorded between the 2 shifts but I guessing its other work .

What is the big deal about making manual entries? It takes 30 seconds to do one and that’s including putting in 5-10 minutes other work after you ejected the card and adding another 5-10 minutes other work for before you put it in the tacho to cover the time getting or handing back keys, paperwork etc.

beefy4605:
I’m guessing you didn’t put it on break before you ejected the card at the end of the first shift and then didn’t do a manual entry at the start of the second shift . The tacho is now treating this as all one shift . You need a 24 hour printout for the 2 days to see what was recorded between the 2 shifts but I guessing its other work .

Not that old chestnut, putting it on break before ejecting your card makes no difference to what is recorded on the card apart from that minute or 2. Once a card is withdrawn it records nothing until it is inserted again, either unknown time or manual entries inputted.

Not to mention very few drivers eject their card and don’t do even a few minutes of other work, be that handing keys in and clocking out etc. So technically putting it on break when you eject the card is not recording your working time correctly and falsification of records if the DVSA wants to be very picky.

If you eject your card any time the card is ejected is assumed to be daily or weekly rest.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:

beefy4605:

Not that old chestnut, putting it on break before ejecting your card makes no difference to what is recorded on the card apart from that minute or 2. Once a card is withdrawn it records nothing until it is inserted again, either unknown time or manual entries inputted.

Not to mention very few drivers eject their card and don’t do even a few minutes of other work, be that handing keys in and clocking out etc. So technically putting it on break when you eject the card is not recording your working time correctly and falsification of records if the DVSA wants to be very picky.

If you eject your card any time the card is ejected is assumed to be daily or weekly rest.

And yet the OP has a problem . what do you think happened ? Till we see a 24 hour printout covering the end of one shift to the start of the next we are only guessing .

beefy4605:

simcor:

beefy4605:

And yet the OP has a problem . what do you think happened ? Till we see a 24 hour printout covering the end of one shift to the start of the next we are only guessing .

I can guarantee not putting it on rest makes diddly squat difference before ejecting your card. I never put it on rest before ejecting. I never used to do manual entries and never had a problem either with card withdrawn time being counted as rest. And since I started doing manual entries since it was required by the companies I worked for I never have any issues either. The only times I get infringements is when I have cocked up a manual entry occasionally, usually when entering several days worth of work. Which the op says they did not do any manual entry.

The only way it might make a difference is if the tacho asks if you want to do a manual entry and asks “rest until now” yes or no. And that’s only on certain tachos that asks “rest until now”.

So either something has gone wrong like that or something else.

But as said without a full printout or tacho analysis it’s difficult to say what the issue is.

Knowing the make and or revision of the tacho head may also help.

You’ve shown what the vehicle display was showing but it’s what the tachograph display shows that’s important.

Having noticed that the vehicle dash was not showing the correct information I assume you checked the tachograph display, so throughout the shift did the tachograph function correctly and show the correct activity times and durations?
If the answer to that is yes, then obviously the problem is with the vehicle dash or connector cables and you can continue to use the vehicle.
If the answer is no, then the tachograph is faulty and you cannot legally drive the vehicle until the tachograph is fixed or replaced, with the exception of certain circumstances it’s illegal to drive a HGV with a faulty tachograph.

The small printout you’ve posted doesn’t make much sense, well not to me anyway, a 24-hour driver card printout is what’s needed to be able to see if the tachograph was functioning correctly, as you was working a night shift you’ll need to do a 24-hour printout for each day.

So technically putting it on break when you eject the card is not recording your working time correctly and falsification of records if the DVSA wants to be very picky.

This ∆

simcor:

beefy4605:

Our place wants Digi card entries to match our start and finish times.

IE manual entries for start and finish. And best practice is to select rest mode before ejecting.

Incase you make a mistake or distracted no long periods of others work.

And regards rest mode on ejecting, when you do a manual entry, that rest mode won’t show. Unless you forget to do a manual entry, in which case it will show rest until your next put your card in, and you can then do an entry on your print out.

Ghiabox:
Hi, had this happen twice and it’s confused me

Removed card Thursday morning approx 11:30am

Inserted card Thursday night approx 23:50

Did NOT do a manual entry.

00:30 is just after the start of today’s shift

08:40 was this morning after I finished work

Is that a Mercedes?

md1987:
Is that a Mercedes?

Yes

stu675:

md1987:
Is that a Mercedes?

Yes

Thought so lol. Take no notice and just go off the tacho head.

For those asking for a print out, it’s literally the first picture.

Edit to add: tacho head said exactly the same as the screen, I’ve driven mercedes for years and never seen them be different, but yes I did check it and yes it said exactly the same.

Ghiabox:
For those asking for a print out, it’s literally the first picture.

Edit to add: tacho head said exactly the same as the screen, I’ve driven mercedes for years and never seen them be different, but yes I did check it and yes it said exactly the same.

That is a small portion of a tacho print-out.
No-one wants you to show your name, nor the vehicle reg, but the rest could be helpful.

As said a full printout of 24 hours with your details obscured would help. That printout gives us very little to go on.