Tachograph Fitting

Hi all I need to start towing trailers with my 3.5 ton van so need a tachograph fitting does any one no where I can get this done in Co Durham any any idea of what the cost will be the van is a Iveco daily 2005

Thanks

I think about £650 but I am thinking back over 10 yrs now,my last one was factory fit,don’t buy one your self get whoever is going to fit it to supply it as for example a 12 volt tacho for a Iveco may not work correctly in a merc and so on ,I’ve been there ,they work ok on calibration but then strange things start to happen such as screen flashing at random door not opening right ect .

Dan Punchard:
I think about £650 but I am thinking back over 10 yrs now,my last one was factory fit,don’t buy one your self get whoever is going to fit it to supply it as for example a 12 volt tacho for a Iveco may not work correctly in a merc and so on ,I’ve been there ,they work ok on calibration but then strange things start to happen such as screen flashing at random door not opening right ect .

Thanks Dan I can get one out of a Iveco easy could prob get all the wiring as well to save a bit of the cost

Thanks

Hi Taz,
You have got 3 options here:

• Pull an old analogue one out of an Iveco and fit it yourself and take it to your local calibration centre to get calibrated and fingers crossed it doesn’t fail. Check that your local calibration centre will accept this first.

• Get a reconditioned analogue one which comes with a 1 year warranty. This would usually be between £250 and £350 depending on the model and you would also need the full sender kit which will be between £100 and £140. You will also need to consider that you still need to fit it and take it to your local calibration centre.

• Get a brand new digital tachograph unit. This will normally be around £550 and you will again need the full sender kit which is between £100 and £140. Again it needs fitted and calibrated.

You can get old analogue units from any breakers just make sure it is functioning before you buy it. You can not get a digital unit from a breakers unless it comes out of the exact model of vehicle that you are putting it into. As Dan said strange things start to happen. For the reconditioned or new units Chartwise on the Team Valley will be your best bet to keep costs down or if you just want someone else to take care of it all then have your local calibration station manage the whole process but that will not be cheap.

Good luck

One thought if you go down the digital route do you have the software to download the digi card . if you dont then you will have to pay a company to do it

you should only need the tacho and sender as the wiring is already present in the vehicle. the tacho uses the same wiring as the vehicle already uses, albeit with a few plug changes. If it has the long rectangular lights its. straightforward change but if it has the big triangular shape and indicators in the mirrors it will need programming at a dealer to tell it a tachos been fitted

Thanks for all the info haven’t sorted tachograph yet as still looking for a trailer with out spending to much money

Thanks

taz1972:
Thanks for all the info haven’t sorted tachograph yet as still looking for a trailer with out spending to much money

Thanks

Don’t bother second hand ,it will want cables shoes ,tyres ,50 mm cup and gaitor ,with out looking to deep ,buy new keep it 2 years and chop it in for new again,it’s the cheapest way .

Thanks for all the info tachograph now sorted trailer getting sorted next week will I need a O licence ■■?

Dan Punchard:

taz1972:

Thanks

Don’t bother second hand ,it will want cables shoes ,tyres ,50 mm cup and gaitor ,with out looking to deep ,buy new keep it 2 years and chop it in for new again,it’s the cheapest way .

Dunno, majority of trailers I find spend their lives keeping rain off farmyards and people’s driveways. One that actually works everyday, for its living, is a fairly rare beast.

taz1972:
Thanks for all the info tachograph now sorted trailer getting sorted next week will I need a O licence ■■?

If it’s not your own stuff there’s a good chance.

Own Account Driver:

taz1972:

How would I find out ■■

Thanks

taz1972:

Own Account Driver:

taz1972:

How would I find out ■■

Thanks

What are you using the Van and Trailer for, that would be a start point.

This might help.

muckles:

taz1972:

Own Account Driver:

taz1972:

How would I find out ■■

Thanks

What are you using the Van and Trailer for, that would be a start point.

This might help.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/11

293/small-trailer-leaflet.pdf

I was going to use it to move cars around with but by read the link I will need a O license so not much point taking it any further

Thanks

Just a thought my van is a duel purpose it has a second row of seats (crew cab)

The dual purpose category generally includes cars, estates, pickups (with a second row of seats (crew cab) only), and domestic 4x4 vehicles such as Land Rovers, Jeeps, and other similar vehicles below 2040kgs unladen weight.

taz1972:
Just a thought my van is a duel purpose it has a second row of seats (crew cab)

The dual purpose category generally includes cars, estates, pickups (with a second row of seats (crew cab) only), and domestic 4x4 vehicles such as Land Rovers, Jeeps, and other similar vehicles below 2040kgs unladen weight.

I think you need to check with DVSA, and anyway whats the unladen weight? Even some 4x4 now go over 2040kg unladen.

Think you’ll struggle to get under 2040kg in a crew cab, presumably, 3.5t van. There’s also various dimensions that have to be complied with non 4x4.

For car transporting one man bands Ford Ranger pickup with Brian James trailer seems popular and you’ve got spare payload on the bed of a ton for Shiply type return loads. Alternatively, if you’ve got to go the o-licence route you might as well go Iveco 5.5t size beavertail with trailer for two vehicles of any size including 4x4 type weights.

Downside with pickups is even modern ones are noisy, uncomfortable and don’t tow particularly well but because of the dual purpose exemption VOSA are effectively pushing people into something that’s not the best vehicle for the job. LWB Sprinter will tow better than a pickup and Disco 3/4 is probably the vehicle that makes the most sense. Pickups with fifth wheel trailers on the bed were a good but expensive setup, think type approval changes have killed them.

Bit of a waste of time I think I only wanted to fill my time in when my other work falls off to much hassle and cost to get a O licence

Thanks for all the info from every one

I’ve seen today a sprinter 3.5 tonner and trailer with a restricted licence disc in the window ,however I thought that there was no requirement for this only for hire and reward discs were avalible ?

Dan Punchard:
I’ve seen today a sprinter 3.5 tonner and trailer with a restricted licence disc in the window ,however I thought that there was no requirement for this only for hire and reward discs were avalible ?

I think you also need an O’licence if you are using a trailer over a certain weight (1020kg it seems from looking round tinternet) for any business, not just hire and reward.