Tachograph Fitting

muckles:
…I think you also need an O’licence if you are using a trailer over a certain weight (1020kg it seems from looking round tinternet) for any business, not just hire and reward.

Motor home1.png

It wont be long before you will need an “O” licence, a tacho and a special licence entitlement just to drive this! :smiley:

bullitt:

muckles:
…I think you also need an O’licence if you are using a trailer over a certain weight (1020kg it seems from looking round tinternet) for any business, not just hire and reward.

It wont be long before you will need an “O” licence, a tacho and a special licence entitlement just to drive this! :smiley:

I know the DVSA have made muttering about commercial vans being o’licenced, (can’t see it being practical though) because of the sad state of maintenance of some of the one they pull into roadside checks, and some of the trailers you see both commercial and private leave a few things to be desired in the maintenance and overloading stakes.

muckles:

Dan Punchard:
I’ve seen today a sprinter 3.5 tonner and trailer with a restricted licence disc in the window ,however I thought that there was no requirement for this only for hire and reward discs were avalible ?

I think you also need an O’licence if you are using a trailer over a certain weight (1020kg it seems from looking round tinternet) for any business, not just hire and reward.

Correct.

Unless you are towing for private purposes, when towing behind a vehicle with a GVW of no more than 3500kg:

• tow vehicle is a dual purpose vehicle - O licence exempt
  • tow vehicle is not a dual purpose vehicle- trailer unladen weight less than 1020kg - standard licence needed if hire and reward, O licence exempt if own account
  • trailer unladen weight 1020kg or more - restricted licence acceptable if own account, otherwise standard licence needed
    [/*:m][/list:u]

The legal definition of a dual purpose vehicle is rather complex, as has been noted.