Tacho,s - Remote reading?

I was told the other day that the police and vosa can download and read your digital tachograph records without stopping you simply by using a blue tooth kind of device whilst parked or driving nearby. It is claimed that this gives them better conviction rates and is easier than stopping hgv,s on mass hoping to catch one or two.

Is this true , and is it as far fetched as it may seem at first in todays techno world ■■

Was this in an rdc waiting room?

tamarman:
I was told the other day that the police and vosa can download and read your digital tachograph records without stopping you simply by using a blue tooth kind of device whilst parked or driving nearby. It is claimed that this gives them better conviction rates and is easier than stopping hgv,s on mass hoping to catch one or two.

Is this true , and is it as far fetched as it may seem at first in todays techno world ■■

It’s not true.

It will happen by 2017 and has been discussed on here.

toby1234abc:

I believe Toby to be correct on this one. I was told on my CPC course that with he various types of telemetry coming in that Vosa are liking to take advantage and come up with a device to read digital tachographs without stopping a vehicle.

xfmatt:
. I was told on my CPC course .

Ah ok it must be true then.

The day will come when they don’t need to download anything, the tachograph data will automatically be uploaded to a central operation room that will automatically send out warnings and fines.

Happily I won’t be driving then even if I’m still alive :smiley:

tachograph:
The day will come when they don’t need to download anything, the tachograph data will automatically be uploaded to a central operation room that will automatically send out warnings and fines.

This is much closer to what’s likely to happen than some whizzy idea that there will super-high-speed drive-by downloads by VOSA staff. The data will be constantly trickled up to a central server, which VOSA (and presumably every parish council clerk, social worker and district nurse) will be able to examine at their convenience.

I think that remote reading is already here . . .

tachosys.com/index.php?optio … &Itemid=38

No but they got a thing called a paranoia gun and they use it to great effect.

If the bad guys dont get ya the good guys will.

When I worked for a bus company the ticket machines would download data wirelessly every time a bus entered the depot. It’s only a matter if time before operating centres are required to have similar systems which download the vehicle tacho upon return to base and it’s sent over the internet to the likes of VOSA - the only problem with my own theory is who would pay for someone to sit through hundreds of thousands of logs to find the bad ones.

m1cks:
. . . who would pay for someone to sit through hundreds of
thousands of logs to find the bad ones ?

That would be fully automated. Humans would be surplus to requirement.

Dieseldoforme:

m1cks:
. . . who would pay for someone to sit through hundreds of
thousands of logs to find the bad ones ?

That would be fully automated. Humans would be surplus to requirement.

I agree, only IT people and perhaps a small number of tachograph experts would be needed, I think you’ll find that already on most large transport companies people don’t analyse the tachograph or driver card data, computer software does it.

toby1234abc:

xfmatt:
I believe Toby to be correct on this one.

What, miracles do happen… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Heard this is already being done and a regular spot for them to be parked up was Oxford services was also mentioned that in future The tacko will incorporate gps and so will be able to tell the roads you have been on and the speed you was doing

na if Vosa can do it some 12yr old monkey will be able to hack it which then due to the information available would breach the data protection act

I still use an analogue tacho so it must be some great bit of kit :smiley:

nick2008:
na if Vosa can do it some 12yr old monkey will be able to hack it which then due to the information available would breach the data protection act

I don’t know what encryption tachographs use but not many 12 year olds could crack 128 bit encryption let alone 256 bit encryption.

Just one tiny icke little flaw to this,
without stopping the truck how do you confirm the identity of the driver ? after all the digi card can be cloned, just like a chip and pin/sky/fuel card, or sorry guv not me some one else must have "found " my lost card.

teatime:
Just one tiny icke little flaw to this,
without stopping the truck how do you confirm the identity of the driver ?

Same way they do now for speed camera offences :smiley: